LA Times: Move over, Bills mafia: Josh Allen’s biggest fans hail from small California town

YoloinOhio

On 1/23/2021 at 10:40 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Love that picture of Josh - reminds me of my ridiculous HS sports jacket with patches all over it 😛 .  One of my favorite things about him is he was a multi-sports star.  I played 3 sports all 4 yrs in HS, both my kids did (my Dad actually played 4 back in the day they let him play both baseball and track in the same season) - just think it is cool in this age of specialization he just played all sports for the love of it and still succeded at the highest level.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/23/2021 at 8:35 AM, coloradobillsfan said:

Some day hope to arrange Bills Backer trips to Firebaugh and Laramie to cheer on Josh's old teams.  

Same here.

Firebaugh is probably a 3 hour drive from me.

There needs to be an International Bills Mafia Day in Firebaugh.

2 hours ago, stevewin said:

Love that picture of Josh - reminds me of my ridiculous HS sports jacket with patches all over it 😛 .  One of my favorite things about him is he was a multi-sports star.  I played 3 sports all 4 yrs in HS, both my kids did (my Dad actually played 4 back in the day they let him play both baseball and track in the same season) - just think it is cool in this age of specialization he just played all sports for the love of it and still succeded at the highest level.  

I honestly don't think there's that much specialization in high school . Most of the athletic kids play sports all three seasons

Football basketball baseball is always a big three for high school athletes. 

Never really met a football player, who didn't play basketball or baseball or wrestle in hs

Edited by Buffalo716

42 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I honestly don't think there's that much specialization in high school . Most of the athletic kids play sports all three seasons

Football basketball baseball is always a big three for high school athletes. 

Never really met a football player, who didn't play basketball or baseball or wrestle in hs

Not where I live.  In my kid's graduating class of 600+ I could count on one hand the number of boys and girls who played 3 sports (if you don't count running 3 seasons as different sports).  By far most of the varsity athletes started specializing on travel teams before they even reached high school and played that one sport year round.   Same for other schools in the area.

Edited by stevewin

10 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Not where I live.  In my kid's graduating class of 600+ I could count on one hand the number of boys and girls who played 3 sports (if you don't count running 3 seasons as different sports).  By far most of the best athletes started specializing on travel teams before they even reached high school and played that one sport year round.  

I'm sure that it varies around the country. But I'd be willing to bet that most top athletes play at least two sports growing up

baseball and basketball is like the only sport that's played year round via travel teams and high school and aau and you need to be in the South for year round baseball

Every division one athlete I've ever known played multiple sports. I've never Met a kid who just played football. Or just played basketball

He was always football and basketball, or football and wrestling or football and baseball

Maybe it's my area, but most of the kids are not one sport athletes

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Same here.

Firebaugh is probably a 3 hour drive from me.

There needs to be an International Bills Mafia Day in Firebaugh.

Brady, Rogers [Chico] and Josh are all Central/Northern cali guys.

Edited by BearNorth
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I'm sure that it varies around the country. But I'd be willing to bet that most top athletes play at least two sports growing up

baseball and basketball is like the only sport that's played year round via travel teams and high school and aau and you need to be in the South for year round baseball

Every division one athlete I've ever known played multiple sports. I've never Met a kid who just played football. Or just played basketball

He was always football and basketball, or football and wrestling or football and baseball

Maybe it's my area, but most of the kids are not one sport athletes

I should have said play/train year round.  There's no doubt there's still kids who play multiple sports - but it's indisputable that there are less kids doing it nowadays, especially at big schools.  Just google high school sports specialization.

Also - I was talking about 3 sports - there's a huge difference between playing 2 sports and 3.  Sure a bunch of football players play football and wrestle - now add trying out for baseball or lacrosse - against kids who play/train year round.  The odds against them making that team are much lower (esp at large schools).  When you say you've never met a kid who just played football or basketball that is not my experience, or the experience of other people I know who have kids that play those sports.

At big high schools around here (and I'm sure other places) - they make a big deal with getting the kids together who sign to play a sport in college.  At my kid's school there's usually 10-20 kids.  I can say with certainty that in four years my kids were there (going back a few years), there was not a single athlete that signed to play a sport in college that played three sports in high school.  By far the majority only played one.   My kid's school was extremely competitive (they routinely win 4-5 state championships a year), but the same was true of the other big schools in the area (I knew many of those athletes from youth leagues, travel leagues etc).  Of all my neices and nephews who played sports, and kids of friends around the country - I don't know of a single one that played three sports.  I'm not saying that there aren't still kids who do - I'm saying it is much more rare than it used to be, especially at large schools.  Many kids/parents think they need to start specializing in a single sport early on to play in college, or honestly to even make their high school team at many large schools (beacuse so many other kids are doing the same). 

Edited by stevewin

16 minutes ago, stevewin said:

I should have said play/train year round.  There's no doubt there's still kids who play multiple sports - but it's indisputable that there are less kids doing it nowadays, especially at big schools.  Just google high school sports specialization.

Also - I was talking about 3 sports - there's a huge difference between playing 2 sports and 3.  Sure a bunch of football players play football and wrestle - now add trying out for baseball or lacrosse - against kids who play/train year round.  The odds against them making that team are much lower (esp at large schools).  When you say you've never met a kid who just played football or basketball that is not my experience, or the experience of other people I know who have kids that play those sports.

At big high schools around here (and I'm sure other places) - they make a big deal with getting the kids together who sign to play a sport in college.  At my kid's school there's usually 10-20 kids.  I can say with certainty that in four years my kids were there (going back a few years), there was not a single athlete that signed to play a sport in college that played three sports in high school.  By far the majority only played one.   My kid's school was extremely competitive (they routinely win 4-5 state championships a year), but the same was true of the other big schools in the area (I knew many of those athletes from youth leagues, travel leagues etc).  Of all my neices and nephews who played sports, and kids of friends around the country - I don't know of a single one that played three sports.  I'm not saying that there aren't still kids who do - I'm saying it is much more rare than it used to be, especially at large schools.  Many kids/parents think they need to start specializing in a single sport early on to play in college, or honestly to even make their high school team at many large schools (beacuse so many other kids are doing the same). 

I think it's a regional thing.

In Western New York you will very rarely find any one sport athletes in high school

They're all two and three sport athletes unless you are specifically at a private school for a sport... The schools are much smaller and usually the star of the football team is the star of the baseball and basketball team 

Me and all my friends growing up were three sport athletes in HS.. obviously you only played one in college, but my whole age group played football baseball basketball 

And I know my alma mater still is like that today because they just don't have the size to have just baseball athletes and just football athletes.. the best athletes in the school play year round school sports

Edited by Buffalo716