Interesting film room [Edit: Brett Kollman] analysis on Allen and the week 6 game against KC

gomper

That was fantastic, and we’ll balanced IMO. He provided some nice X and O analysis while also speaking in basic terminology to make it enjoyable to watch. I think it was also fair assessing the issues with both Josh and the team. It was quite interesting to see how Josh was learning how to pick the Chiefs’ Defense apart through the game. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, die hard bills fan said:

Looking back, losing to the Chiefs game 6 may work to the Bills advantage now.  Winning then may have kept us alive for the #1 seed but we ended up #2.

You wonder if the Bills have an edge mentally with revenge on their minds and the underdog role.  KC is confident, maybe too much so (a' la Hill's comments about the super bowl) and thinking they beat us once,  Bills  can't stop the run, Josh is not that good etc.

I think it did help them.  If nothing else, it was a wake up call for the defense that they couldn't try to plug Klein in for Milano and expect good results - they had to re-distribute assignments.  I think it also got home to Josh that he HAS to take what the defense gives him, it's too big of a weakness if he doesn't.

The funny thing about Hill's comments is that I think he didn't mean them to come across as arrogant.  I think he meant them as saying "just take things one step at a time and keep moving along your path and when the journey is over, you'll reach your goal" or something like that.  But it sure came across as dismissive of the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Watching that, it strikes me that games between equally talented rosters are to a high degree already decided in the game planning phase, before the teams ever step on the field. Get the strategy wrong and you have to rely on halftime adjustments to bail you out. 

Maybe equal to gameplanning is the QB making correct decisions.  Whats left, maybe 30% is physical execution.

We could debate the exact %s but the point is, the strategy decisions are what set you up for success or not.

We're in pretty good hands with Daboll and Frazier at the chessboard.

Also the refs

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

After watching this I think the same way. Line up in 4-5 wides and gun it all over the Chiefs. 

If you have to take some shorter throws underneath, do it. 

The Chiefs are not the 2000 Ravens. 

That first game was just us letting them run the ball and hoping they'd get impatient and throw vs them giving us all the underneath stuff we wanted hoping we didn't take advantage lol their defense really wasn't that impressive josh tried to do too much because our defense was horrendous...but what do you expect missing two starting corners your best cover linebacker...and another linebacker playing hurt and josh allen playing hurt.  Its incredible to me we had a chance to steal that one.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Big Turk said:

The stats with and without Milano in the lineup for the defense are just stunning...

With Milano:

9th in rushing yards allowed per game

5th in passing yards allowed per game

8th in first downs allowed per game

2nd in points allowed per game

Record 12-0

Without Milano:

28th in rushing yards allowed per game

27th in passing yards allowed per game

31st in first downs allowed per game

29th in points allowed per game

Record 3-3

Anyone not thinking he should be the #1 priority this offseason should think again.

Here are the exact numbers.

Edited by gobills404
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

Daryl Williams >>>>>>>> Matt Milano

In no way shape or form should the Bills prioritize Milano over D Williams

That is ludicrous. They can find another RT. Probably even on the current roster. Outside of Tre White, Milano is the most important player on this defense 

21 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I think in large part it is because he allows the defense to play the way it wants. Him and Edmunds never leave the field normally, they play every defensive snap.

Without him, the defense has to adjust how it plays and has to play Klein on run downs and bring in a safety on passing downs. Other players have to take on slightly different roles and it doesn't flow as well. Edmunds also is not freed up to do as much as he normally would.

Good take- and logical- our D today needs him the keep us withing the top ten while scoring 35 points and not turning it over. Thats how we win the game.

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it did help them.  If nothing else, it was a wake up call for the defense that they couldn't try to plug Klein in for Milano and expect good results - they had to re-distribute assignments.  I think it also got home to Josh that he HAS to take what the defense gives him, it's too big of a weakness if he doesn't.

The funny thing about Hill's comments is that I think he didn't mean them to come across as arrogant.  I think he meant them as saying "just take things one step at a time and keep moving along your path and when the journey is over, you'll reach your goal" or something like that.  But it sure came across as dismissive of the Bills.

Klein was new to the team this year and didn't have an off- or pre-season to get comfortable, and that was just his 2nd start with the Bills.  While I'd obviously much rather have Milano in there, I think that Klein would do a much better job today if he had to start.

50 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

That is ludicrous. They can find another RT. Probably even on the current roster. Outside of Tre White, Milano is the most important player on this defense 

Sure they can.  But wen was the last time they had a good RT?

Edited by Doc

53 minutes ago, Doc said:

Klein was new to the team this year and didn't have an off- or pre-season to get comfortable, and that was just his 2nd start with the Bills.  While I'd obviously much rather have Milano in there, I think that Klein would do a much better job today if he had to start.

Sure they can.  But wen was the last time they had a good RT?

been a while / interesting to see what happens in off season. they always have Nsecke ( not sure his contract) to fill a gap.

4 minutes ago, balln said:

been a while / interesting to see what happens in off season. they always have Nsecke ( not sure his contract) to fill a gap.

Josh is the franchise.  The main objective is to protect him.  To that end, you do what you need to do to keep Williams.  Feliciano is a good player but can be replaced.  Unless Williams asks for more crazy money, I think they'll re-sign him. 

5 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Here are the exact numbers.

Wow...319 yards against on average with him versus 407 without him....that is a HUGE difference.

13 hours ago, Sundancer said:

20M gets you part of the way to signing Allen. 

Allen will be signing an extension so that money won't kick in until at least the following year.

1 minute ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Lol. There have been a few threads about his reviews over the past couple of years. 

I appreciate it, I was just busting your chops, lol. Seriously though, he is the best evaluator I've ever seen as far as personable, knowledgeable and describes everything in an easy to understand manner. Go Bills! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/23/2021 at 8:50 AM, BradyGaga said:

Ha, I just did the same thing. Holy crap that was a good. 

Watch the “The Chiefs are vulnerable...” video too. He breaks down exactly why the Bills are a matchup nightmare for the Chiefs.

I like links, lol... But thank you, another interesting evaluation... 

Watch "The Chiefs are vulnerable...in the weirdest possible way" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/xvzpCs9IYzY

3 hours ago, Doc said:

This is kind of a "Yes, But" thing.  The guy's a professional NFL linebacker, he'd played for McDermott before.  By Game 6, you'd like to think he's up on his role with or without pre-season.  I'm sure there was an adjustment to actually playing in that role.

But I think a bigger factor is that Milano can just do things that Klein just can't.  So when they tried to plug Klein into Milano's role, it was an epic "Fail!".  Once the Bills came to terms with the fact that they were going to have to put Milano on IR and let him recover, they got to work and re-assigned roles and responsibilities to create a role that AJ Klein could play effectively.

I believe this because Leslie Frazier pretty much said just this in one of his pressers shortly after they IR'd Milano and Klein finally showed up and was playing really well and it was like "who IS this guy?"

So if Klein has to go in, I believe they would do the same thing and reassign responsibilities in the way they worked out, and Klein would look like he did in games 9-13 (Sea, Ari, LAC) and not how he looked earlier. 

Part of it is learning a system, but part of it is also the Bills being realistic about not trying to fit a Klein-size peg into a Milano-size hole.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is kind of a "Yes, But" thing.  The guy's a professional NFL linebacker, he'd played for McDermott before.  By Game 6, you'd like to think he's up on his role with or without pre-season.  I'm sure there was an adjustment to actually playing in that role.

But I think a bigger factor is that Milano can just do things that Klein just can't.  So when they tried to plug Klein into Milano's role, it was an epic "Fail!".  Once the Bills came to terms with the fact that they were going to have to put Milano on IR and let him recover, they got to work and re-assigned roles and responsibilities to create a role that AJ Klein could play effectively.

I believe this because Leslie Frazier pretty much said just this in one of his pressers shortly after they IR'd Milano and Klein finally showed up and was playing really well and it was like "who IS this guy?"

So if Klein has to go in, I believe they would do the same thing and reassign responsibilities in the way they worked out, and Klein would look like he did in games 9-13 (Sea, Ari, LAC) and not how he looked earlier. 

Part of it is learning a system, but part of it is also the Bills being realistic about not trying to fit a Klein-size peg into a Milano-size hole.

It's more than just knowing the system: it's comfort with the other players.  Several Bills said that the bye week helped them iron-out some things that they couldn't because of the lack of an off-season.

And in no way was I trying to say that Klein is as good as Milano.  He's not.  Just that there was definitely a period where Klein was adjusting and even a thread on how bad he was...only later for him to become an asset to the team in Milano's absence.