Interesting film room [Edit: Brett Kollman] analysis on Allen and the week 6 game against KC

gomper

37 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

But, But, Turk he’s so easily replaceable by any old LB a lot of guys said.  Thanks for the breakdown.  We are miles better with a healthy Tre, the safeties, Edmunds, and yes Milano, not to mention an unsung hero on Hughes.

The Bills Oline is better as well with Feliciano and Boettger in there.  Both missed the first Chiefs game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Looking back, losing to the Chiefs game 6 may work to the Bills advantage now.  Winning then may have kept us alive for the #1 seed but we ended up #2.

You wonder if the Bills have an edge mentally with revenge on their minds and the underdog role.  KC is confident, maybe too much so (a' la Hill's comments about the super bowl) and thinking they beat us once,  Bills  can't stop the run, Josh is not that good etc.  

To me the Bills team now is so much better than the game 6 team with key players back, offense and defense paying better and more confident.  Our coaches learned from that game too and think are game plan will be much better.  

I actually feel really good about the Bills chances this week.

Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

I didn't realize how little motion they use presnap. But Josh's hard counts almost make up for it. And very true what is the Bills favorite play, and how KC used 2 deep safeties, disguised presnap, to counter that. Daboll will find a way. And Josh is on fire. Crazy though how QB play is always the key. QBs deserve all the attention they get.

Edited by Jerome007
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

The stats with and without Milano in the lineup for the defense are just stunning...

With Milano:

9th in rushing yards allowed per game

5th in passing yards allowed per game

8th in first downs allowed per game

2nd in points allowed per game

Record 12-0

Without Milano:

28th in rushing yards allowed per game

27th in passing yards allowed per game

31st in first downs allowed per game

29th in points allowed per game

Record 3-3

Anyone not thinking he should be the #1 priority this offseason should think again.

It has been apparent Milano out of the lineup the defense underperforms- when he is in, the D goes up to another level- those stats affirm our theory.

Edited by billsfan_34
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

I didn't realize how little motion they use presnap. But Josh's hard counts almost make up for it. And very true what is the Bills favorite play, and how KC used 2 deep safeties, disguised presnap, to counter that. Daboll will find a way. And Josh is on fire. Crazy though how QB play is always the key. QBs deserve all the attention they get.

Motion seems to vary a lot.  Some games we use a lot (mostly Special McK) and some we do not.

1 hour ago, TPS said:

I'm not sure how you come away from that analysis thinking his shoulder injury is what makes him take the deep(er) shot and pass up the easy outlet pass?

Kollman showed 2 examples of it, at least one of which he probably completes the longer throw with a healthy shoulder. 

But more importantly, Josh now knows how to get the better of them from the get-go. 

33 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

It has been apparent Milano out of the lineup the defense underperforms- when he is in, the D goes up to another level- those stats affirm our theory.

I think in large part it is because he allows the defense to play the way it wants. Him and Edmunds never leave the field normally, they play every defensive snap.

Without him, the defense has to adjust how it plays and has to play Klein on run downs and bring in a safety on passing downs. Other players have to take on slightly different roles and it doesn't flow as well. Edmunds also is not freed up to do as much as he normally would.

If you're wasting brain cells watching ESPN, NFLN etc etc, watch this instead.

And be sure to catch the name of his new drink

I think we're less "set it and forget it" than he's formed the impression we are, or at least we're selective about when we're not.

IMO Daboll got away from it as an every play routine, because initially he was using it as a tool to diagnose man vs zone and defenses started using it against us by showing man, then dropping into zone.  And for a while we were seeing a big 'ol buttload of zone.  So it was kind of like "yeah, it's gonna be zone, don't bother".

Kubiak and Cover1 do a great job of breaking down the Ravens game and showing how Daboll did use pre- and post-snap motion effectively to manipulate the defense and open up his target regions.

I also think Daboll is a strategic OC, by which I mean he'll genuinely design the offense he believes is most effective for a specific game, but in so doing he's not above looking ahead a few games and trying to do it in a way which might play mind games with the next OC to be "cruisin' for a bruisin".  I think he did that with Seattle by the extent to which he ran (38 rush for 190 yds vs 18 pass for 149 yds) vs NWE then flipped the script with 38 pass attempts to only 19 rush attempts vs SEA.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Interesting film room [Edit: Brett Kollman] analysis on Allen and the week 6 game against KC
4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

The stats with and without Milano in the lineup for the defense are just stunning...

With Milano:

9th in rushing yards allowed per game

5th in passing yards allowed per game

8th in first downs allowed per game

2nd in points allowed per game

Record 12-0

Without Milano:

28th in rushing yards allowed per game

27th in passing yards allowed per game

31st in first downs allowed per game

29th in points allowed per game

Record 3-3

Anyone not thinking he should be the #1 priority this offseason should think again.

image.jpeg.dafa9268bf8ddca110ff9eabac920214.jpeg

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Kollman showed 2 examples of it, at least one of which he probably completes the longer throw with a healthy shoulder. 

But more importantly, Josh now knows how to get the better of them from the get-go. 

My comment was about Josh in general, not why the Bills lost to KC last time.  The issue is he still has the tendency to try take the big play over the sure outlet play. He has shown the ability to do the latter over the former, but his instinct is to go for the big play.  It's related to some threads that @Hapless Bills Fan made during the season.

In the above analysis, he showed how KC used that tendency in the way they defended Josh and the Bills.  I believe that once he is able to control that instinct, he will be a more complete QB, and the Bills O will be even more difficult to stop.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, TPS said:

My comment was about Josh in general, not why the Bills lost to KC last time.  The issue is he still has the tendency to try take the big play over the sure outlet play. He has shown the ability to do the latter over the former, but his instinct is to go for the big play.  It's related to some threads that @Hapless Bills Fan made during the season.

In the above analysis, he showed how KC used that tendency in the way they defended Josh and the Bills.  I believe that once he is able to control that instinct, he will be a more complete QB, and the Bills O will be even more difficult to stop.

@TPS, Josh made big strides in controlling that tendency, and the Tennessee and KC games were a turning point.

Now when I see Josh go for the jugular on 3rd and >5 which he still does, a couple times a game - when I look at the all-22 I become pretty sure that was a game strategy decision  because it typically looks like the deep route is the only choice that would move the chains.

TBH, I think one ancillary reason that Daboll adopted the game plans that he did in the 2nd Jets, Pats, and Chargers games but especially the Pats game, was to help make the point to Josh that there are 10 other guys out there and we can win the game without him carrying us.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

First time I came across a Brett Killian video was when he compared Winston and Mariota heading into the draft the year they were selected. It was a great breakdown, that was very well produced.

I've enjoyed his breakdowns ever since.

• Like (+1) 1