Most Impactful Bills Playoff Defensive Play?

A) Bill Simpsons interception in the end zone at the end of the game to win the 1981 wild-card game vs. the NY Jets

B) Taron Johnson’s interception for a TD vs. the Baltimore Ravens in the 2021 Divisional Round

C) Carlton Baileys interception for TD of John Elway in the 1993 AFC Championship game 

Thoughts......

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DE Bills Fan said:

A) Bill Simpsons interception in the end zone at the end of the game to win the 1981 wild-card game vs. the NY Jets

B) Taron Johnson’s interception for a TD vs. the Baltimore Ravens in the 2021 Divisional Round

C) Carlton Baileys interception for TD of John Elway in the 1993 AFC Championship game 

Thoughts......

I saw all three of them as they occurred.  I thought Taron’s, initially, was the winner, but when I think about it this really is a tough call.  

Side note, the “hit heard round the world”, which I wasn’t around for, really set the tone in that game, if not the overal outcome, it should maybe be considered here, too.  Plus it was for a league championship.

To put them in order, considering how close that second afc championship game was, yeah, Freddy has a point.  So:

Bailey

then actually Simpson because it literally saved the game

Then Taron, but he can take solace in the fact that it was the most exciting D play ever in the playoffs.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

To your point, Stratton's hit on Keith Lincoln turned the game for the Bills and allowed them to win their first world championship.  It has to be top 3, given that none of the other plays resulted in a world championship.   Regarding Bailey's interception - I was at that game and it certainly came at a critical moment in an otherwise very tight game and lead to the AFC championship so I think that's top 3 as well.  

I don't remember the first one, I was alive but I have no memory of it.  But I put that third because it was a WC game, not to say it was not meaningful.  I fully remember both the other two and the Carlton Bailey play is definitely bigger than the Taron Johnson play.  I say that because the Bills could not sniff the end zone in that game, they were not going to score and Denver only scored one TD but as the game went on they moved the ball more and more, they were the better team.  That play won the game for the Bills even though it was not at the end of it.  Without that play the Bills lose and don't go tot he SB.  With Taron's play we cant say it was the deciding factor, it ended the game for all intents and purposes but we cant say the Bills would have lost if that play had not happened.

If those are my three options, I would have to say the Carlton Bailey interception (which, I believe, was in the 1991 AFC Championship - not 1993). Te Bills couldn't do anything on offense in that game and I am not sure they win it without Bailey scoring that TD

All three are huge game-changing moments.

For me, the most impactful defensive playoff play was actually Don Beebe's play on Leon Lett.

The impact was on me personally. I saw heart, effort, professionalism, and grit. I have had non-Bills fans bring this play up. I have attended a business conference with this play referenced as what great character and leadership looks like.

Plays like Beebe's and the loyalty and passion of Bills fan is at the core of my love for our Buffalo Bills!

Let's get this "W" on Sunday.