SI: The Mind of Bills OC Brian Daboll

YoloinOhio

The Mind of Daboll in Three Plays

Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll has built one of the NFL’s hottest offenses. We asked his former co-offensive coordinator at Alabama, Maryland head coach Mike Locksley, to break down two Bills plays and one Alabama TD in an attempt to understand Daboll’s beautiful mind a little better.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

Point

Your head

The media is using Daboll as a mechanism to take credit away from the Future GOAT Josh Allen.

Don't take their side. Be better.

This is actually an interesting thought. There are many in the “media” who still aren’t quite ready to give Josh credit for what he has done this season. I do think it’s possible to praise both Josh AND Daboll but I have heard/seen a lot of “look how easy Daboll is making it for Allen with these concepts” sort of talk.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

OR ... they are both really good

Right. I think it is one of those unique situations where each has the abilities to allow the other to maximize those abilities. I am glad Daboll is staying. The potential for what they can do is exciting.

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, eball said:

This is actually an interesting thought. There are many in the “media” who still aren’t quite ready to give Josh credit for what he has done this season. I do think it’s possible to praise both Josh AND Daboll but I have heard/seen a lot of “look how easy Daboll is making it for Allen with these concepts” sort of talk.

I think this group of people is dwindling, but they are still there. I can recall three separate primetime games this year where the play by play man or color commentator gave the vast majority of the the credit for Allen's improvement to Daboll. Just in the Ravens game I heard Al Michaels say, in reference to Allen's improvement, that Daboll designed a shorter passing game for Allen that would "dramatically" improve the completion percentage for any QB...

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

Right. I think it is one of those unique situations where each has the abilities to allow the other to maximize those abilities. I am glad Daboll is staying. The potential for what they can do is exciting.

It's weird. I REALLY wanted him to stay. Yet when I realized that would be the case, I was also sad for him. He deserves a HC job. But still... Go BILLS

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

OR ... they are both really good

They help each other.  Allen easily could have been Mayfield or Darnold or Rosen or Mason Rudolph.  But he’s not, in no small part bc of what daboll has done.  And Allen has helped Daboll a lot because a great deal of our success is attributable to off schedule plays that only Allen can make. 

• Like (+1) 1

It’s been a near perfect relationship for the development of a talented, raw QB

I’m ecstatic he’s staying one more year because although I think Josh has surpassed the point where he may backslide, one more year in the same system with Daboll is really going to solidify his understanding of the game.

After next year, it won’t matter who the OC is in terms of Josh’s development. He has the tools, understanding and work ethic to succeed in any system. Of course it will benefit the team to get an OC who continues to emphasize what Josh’s unique talents bring the to table. It’s not like McD would bring in an OC with a west coast offense to dink and dunk all day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

They help each other.  Allen easily could have been Mayfield or Darnold or Rosen or Mason Rudolph.  But he’s not, in no small part bc of what daboll has done.  And Allen has helped Daboll a lot because a great deal of our success is attributable to off schedule plays that only Allen can make. 

I think it may go further than that.  During one press conference, Daboll said something about growing and learning to interact differently with players.  Then he said "I'm grateful to Josh...more than he knows".  Who knows what that means exactly outside the two of them and maybe a handful of others in the building.

Josh told a Daboll story from his rookie training camp - I think it was in a recent interview with Pat MacAfee -  where he was supposed to throw to the RB in the flat; instead he threw to the back corner of the endzone and "it didn't work out too well".  He said Daboll immediately started yelling in his headset.  He looked over and Daboll was all red-faced.  Said Daboll kept yelling as he went to the sidelines and after a while, Daboll calmed down.  Then Daboll thought about it and got even madder and started yelling in Josh's face and getting red, all over again.

I could be wrong, being that out of control yelling with a player is not McDermott's style, and not the most effective way of reaching some players.  From the way he reacted, it was pretty clear that Josh just took it in stride and moved on; for some players, it might stay in their head and affect the next series. 

Yeah, I think Josh and Daboll help each other.  I'm not so sure about the Mayfield or Darnold or Rosen or Rudolph thing, though.

10 hours ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

Brian Daboll sucks.

What Daboll does really really well, is ride the coattails of the most talented and uniquely gifted Quarterback to ever play football.

This is the worst take ever and you should feel bad about yourself.