Josh McCown for HC possibly in Houston

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

If another NFL team hires another unqualified white candidate to be their HC, it will not - and should not - go ever well, at all.

I agree except for one factor: If Houston hires an unqualified white guy Stephen A Smith's head will explode and he'll go ballistic on the air.  It might be worth the trouble just to see Smith's reaction.  A few years ago he was going nuts because Jeff Fisher kept getting retained as a head coach in the NFL while qualified black candidates were overlooked.  I am biased against Smith because he once snubbed my nephew at a Warriors game when they were sitting in the same row and my nephew said hello to him.  

14 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

They must REALLY be struggling to find people who want the job. 

Like we were when Buddy Nix was GM & the best he could do was get Chan Gailey whose last job was getting fired as KC's OC in August before the season even started.  The definition of someone getting fired up.  

• Like (+1) 1

Dear Mrs. McNair,

The league office is impressed with the slate of head coaching candidates currently being considered by the Houston franchise.  In particular, the league finds Eric Bieniemy, Leslie Frazier, Marvin Lewis and Jim Caldwell to be uniquely qualified candidates.  We are confident you will make a wise and informed decision in selecting one of these outstanding men to lead the Texans in the coming years.

Sincerely,

Roger

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

"If anyone can do it, Josh MCown can."  Based on WHAT??

He was kind of a coach on the sidelines and in the meeting rooms while he was playing. I think that's what they're referring to.

So maybe yeah, if anyone can do it he can. I doubt anyone can do it, myself.

Always liked the guy. Good luck to him. It would not be a good decision now, though. After 10 or 15 years of coaching experience, then maybe.

It's really too bad, though. I understand why Watson feels he wants to pressure them to get a good head coach. But the instant he did so he made the job toxic and the possibility of actually getting someone good pretty close to zero. It's now a self-fulfilling prophecy, making his departure much more likely.

Edited by Thurman#1

I think the bigger picture of what we're seeing in general is an erosion of what was once considered the traditional pipeline for becoming an NFL head coach. It used to be that you only hired really good offensive or defensive coordinators. The hiring cycle is also moving so fast that nobody in a game this weekend got hired.

Now it's those, special teams, college, and teams are really open to looking at other positions for guys who can lead and hiring young and energy more than ever and supplementing that with experiences coordinators. I compare it to baseball management, where the front offices and managers of teams are ivy league type guys.

Wow I just looked him up on Wikipedia. He has been around a looooong time (since 2002) . In a certain way that is more impressive than Brady’s 20+ year run since it is much harder to last in this league as a mediocre QB than one that is playing at Hall of Fame levels each year. Perhaps maybe I just felt like taking a roundabout swipe at Brady by saying McClown>Brady?

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Fine by me as long as I never have to hear him sing about our QB again... that was horrible.

Agreed and then the final insult - after a total FanGirl interview and making us listen to that song, he picked against us 🤬

2 hours ago, Roger Goodell said:

Dear Mrs. McNair,

The league office is impressed with the slate of head coaching candidates currently being considered by the Houston franchise.  In particular, the league finds Eric Bieniemy, Leslie Frazier, Marvin Lewis and Jim Caldwell to be uniquely qualified candidates.  We are confident you will make a wise and informed decision in selecting one of these outstanding men to lead the Texans in the coming years.

Sincerely,

Roger

This guy NEVER breaks character.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agreed and then the final insult - after a total FanGirl interview and making us listen to that song, he picked against us 🤬

This guy NEVER breaks character.

Yep. Even when he’s positive about us, he still has a horribly punchable face and persona....

5 hours ago, Roger Goodell said:

Dear Mrs. McNair,

Sincerely,

Roger

image.thumb.jpeg.36e338104d15fa31c948bba75c97cd16.jpeg

14 hours ago, Gugny said:

If another NFL team hires another unqualified white candidate to be their HC, it will not - and should not - go ever well, at all.

Wow, so much to unwrap here. Pretty intense signaling going on here. Probably not a minority. 

I promise you, the owners are not racists circa 1950’s. Both the owners and the coach candidates are individuals. They make decisions as individuals. 

Trying to color this complex situations with simple crayon strokes (Must be racist) is lazy. 

14 hours ago, Gugny said:

Progress is finally being made there, albeit slowly.  It has to start at the college level, too, IMO.  I don't follow college football, but I'd be willing to bet that the percentage of black HCs across the DI powerhouse schools is low.

Today, alone - we've seen the Ravens hire ROB RYAN as a position coach and the Texans talking about hiring a candidate with literally zero days of coaching experience as their HEAD COACH.

Skin color aside ---- you're telling me that either one of those people are the best person for those jobs????  Come the ***** on.

It's a problem.

Must be race. Only explanation. 

My questions is why would you support a league run by people who you think are blatant racists?

Why are you giving rich white racists your time/money?

I don’t think they’re racists so my conscience is clear...

2 hours ago, DaggersEOD said:

Wow, so much to unwrap here. Pretty intense signaling going on here. Probably not a minority. 

I promise you, the owners are not racists circa 1950’s. Both the owners and the coach candidates are individuals. They make decisions as individuals. 

Trying to color this complex situations with simple crayon strokes (Must be racist) is lazy. 

Must be race. Only explanation. 

My questions is why would you support a league run by people who you think are blatant racists?

Why are you giving rich white racists your time/money?

I don’t think they’re racists so my conscience is clear...

You've used enough of the hip terms to understand the kind of person I'm dealing with, here.  

I'm going to try to explain this in a way I think you might grasp it.

First of all, whether or not I'm a minority is a) none of your business and b) totally irrelevant.

I am not accusing all NFL owners of being racist and I doubt anyone is - so save your promises for someone who wants to hear them.

This, to me, is not exclusively about HC vacancies/hirings.  It's more about the more entry-level, lower on the totem pole, positions.  Ex: when the Bills were the first team to hire the first female full-time coach.  They took a chance.  They opened the door. They showed other teams that it's okay to do those things.

Or the Cardinals, when they hired Byron Leftwich to be the QB Coach - and the Bucs who hired him as OC two years later.

That's progress.  That's moving forward.

Hiring a proven failure in Rob Ryan to be a position coach was stupid.  It was dumb.  It was also a perfect opportunity to give a minority or a female a chance.  They didn't take the chance.  Instead, they hired a man who has singlehandedly destroyed the last three defenses he's worked with.  Makes sense, right?

I'm just going to stop there and trust that you get it.  If not, I have zero interest in going back and forth with you.  So please do us both a favor and either don't respond or simply say that we can agree to disagree.

Peace!