Josh McCown for HC possibly in Houston

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Didn't he retire like a year ago?

McCown announced his retirement

He was hired by ESPN as an NFL analyst.

Eagles lost 2 QBs and he was signed to back up Carson Wentz.

He relieved Wentz several times.

In 2020 he was offered coaching position with Eagles and declined.  Eagles signed him to practice squad.

Texans signed him off practice squad.

He was on teams from 2002-2020 with 2 years he did not play (2012, 2020).

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

"If anyone can do it, Josh MCown can."  Based on WHAT??

To be fair, we're not in the locker rooms. Maybe he has coach written all over him. He was also in the NFL for a VERY long time.  It was the same thing with Vrabel. 

McCown is older than 5 or so head coaches in the NFL right now, too (for what it's worth). 

I wouldn't call this desperate and I wouldn't think this would hurt their chances of keeping Watson. I think it would be helpful in doing so, to be honest. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have heard people say he will make a good coach and if you watched the Eagles all or nothing he was basically coaching Carson Wentz in 2019..... well I mean he was telling him to complete passes.... which for Wentz is a struggle. 

But to go from player to Head Coach with no intermediate steps? Madness.

Almost like going from talking head to GM.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

If another NFL team hires another unqualified white candidate to be their HC, it will not - and should not - go ever well, at all.

No one is not hiring coaches because of their skin color. Stop with that.

You mean to tell me, in a league where winning means everything.... it means more money for the owners. In a league that is giving out draft picks for hiring minority coaches.... a league that is 70% minorities as players.....

An owner/ GM is going to skip a candidate that gives them the best chance to win because of their skin color? 

For players, we don't say:

"Hey this QB is good and gives us the best chance to win, but we're going to pass on him because he's a minority"

It's also not happening with coaches. 

Edit: If you're going to use Eric B.... He's been interviewing for YEARS. Maybe he doesn't want a specific job or maybe he is just an awful interview with a bad plan. We don't sit in on those interviews. 

Edited by warrior9
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

If another NFL team hires another unqualified white candidate to be their HC, it will not - and should not - go ever well, at all.

How in anyones mind they would take a retired backup QB with zero coaching experience over Frazier by way of example is beyond me.

1 minute ago, warrior9 said:

No one is not hiring coaches because of their skin color. Stop with that.

You mean to tell me, in a league where winning means everything.... it means more money for the owners. In a league that is giving out draft picks for hiring minority coaches.... a league that is 70% minorities as players.....

An owner/ GM is going to skip a candidate that gives them the best chance to win because of their skin color? 

For players, we don't say:

"Hey this QB is good and gives us the best chance to win, but we're going to pass on him because he's a minority"

It's also not happening with coaches. 

You did a poor job of comprehending my post.  Stop with that.

• Like (+1) 1

McCown has been in the NFL for 20 years. I wouldn't exactly write the guy off. McVay was 30 years old we when he became a HC.

I'd like to see it happen. If McCown is successful, it may make owners and GM's end the old recycled coaches we see getting jobs every year.

Edited by Beast

5 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Edit: If you're going to use Eric B.... He's been interviewing for YEARS. Maybe he doesn't want a specific job or maybe he is just an awful interview with a bad plan. We don't sit in on those interviews. 

He has a record and some owners may not be comfortable with a coach with a record telling players to stay out of trouble.

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

You did a poor job of comprehending my post.  Stop with that.

What did I comprehend wrong? 

Just now, Limeaid said:

He has a record and some owners may not be comfortable with a coach with a record telling players to stay out of trouble.

Eh, I think that would be a shame if that was holding him back. Most of those were pre-NFL for him. 

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

That organization is a McClown show.

<drops mic>

The Irish will take offense at that.  Hopefully none of them have experience in bombing.

8 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

i hope you’re not referring to Louis Riddick.

Matthew "Matt" Millen.

• Like (+1) 1