Biden Confronts The Economic Crisis

Tiberius

Wrong 

On the eve of the 2016 election, Donald Trump told business leaders in New York that the U.S. economy would grow a robust 3.5% per year if he were elected president and that the nation would add 25 million new jobs in a decade.

On Wednesday, Mr. Trump said in a speech from the White House streamed online by economic clubs around the country that the economy was the strongest on record before the coronavirus pandemic, again promising vigorous economic growth if he is given another four years in office. He also sought to stir up fear about what a victory by Joe Biden and other Democrats would mean for the U.S. 

"The policies of the left would unleash an economic disaster of epic proportions," Mr. Trump said, claiming that a Democratic win would lead to sharply higher taxes and "destroy our country."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-economic-club-new-york-recovery-jobs/

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

How is he wrong?  We aren't even 100 days in.  

Exactly. Trump is right, just give it time. Biden is well on his way to sowing the seeds of failure. It’s a big job, but I’m confident he’ll succeed in his quest to destroy the greatest country in history. 

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Exactly. Trump is right, just give it time. Biden is well on his way to sowing the seeds of failure. It’s a big job, but I’m confident he’ll succeed in his quest to destroy the greatest country in history. 

I'm not saying Trump is right.  Predicting inflation, market crashes, higher taxes is like predicting the gender of your just conceived child.  You're going to be wrong 50% of the time. 

5 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I'm not saying Trump is right.  Predicting inflation, market crashes, higher taxes is like predicting the gender of your just conceived child.  You're going to be wrong 50% of the time. 

Understood. I didn’t mean to imply you agreed with my take on Trump. Just the part that it’s very early. Too early to assume everything will be great under Biden’s policies. 

49 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Nope, wrong. You are wrong, Trump is wrong, the stupid pills addict is wrong, too 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

Nope, wrong. You are wrong, Trump is wrong, the stupid pills addict is wrong, too 

How are we wrong?  Come on. If you’re so adamant about this you should be able to prove us wrong.  I’m so tired of you and others spouting ***** and when you’re called out for proof you run. Pathetic. 

• Agree 1

https://twitter.com/charliebilello/status/1384511101958860801   Founder and CEO of Compound Capital Advisors. 

Commodity prices over last year...

Lumber: +265%
WTI Crude: +210%
Gasoline: +182%
Brent Crude +163%
Heating Oil: +107%
Corn: +84%
Copper: +83%
Soybeans: +72%
Silver: +65%
Sugar: +59%
Cotton: +54%
Platinum: +52%
Natural Gas: +43%
Palladium: +32%
Wheat: +19%
Coffee: +13%
Gold: +3%

He sure is the crisis is that it now costs me $72 dollars to fill up my truck compared to $49 just 5 or so months ago that extra $20+ per tank must be going to the electric car company's or the Paris accord to help pay to keep us in good standing .

To bad we can't become less dependent on foreign oil now like we were . I can't figure it out why all the sudden it's went up so much in such a short time 🤔 It must be covid that's it .

Edited by T master

Throughout last year's campaign, President DonaldTrump issued a series of increasingly dark predictions about what would happen if Joe Biden were elected.

"If he gets in, you will have a depression the likes of which you've never seen. Your 401(k)s will go to hell and it'll be a very, very sad day for this country," Trump said in the Oct. 22 candidate debate.

Instead, the rebounding economy is headed for its best year since 1984, according to the International Monetary Fund. The U.S. economy likely expanded in the first quarter at an annual rate of 6% and should accelerate in the months ahead, economist Ian Shepherdson of Pantheon Macroeconomics told clients this week. More than 1.3 million jobs have been added since the election.

All the stories, all the time

Unlock Your Paper for 99¢

SUBSCRIBE

By Trump's preferred metric - the stock market - Biden is outperforming his predecessor at this stage of his presidency. Last summer, the Republican said stock values would "collapse" under Biden. But through Thursday, the Dow Jones industrial average was up nearly 16% since Nov. 7, when the Democrat was declared the apparent election winner, compared with a 10.5% gain over a similar period following Trump's election.

"There wasn't much behind President Trump's predictions other than aspirations that he'd be reelected," said economist Michael Strain of the American Enterprise Institute.

Trump's wild campaign claims of an imminent depression have complicated Republican efforts to develop an economic message that can dent Biden's popular support. In an interview with Sean Hannity of Fox on Monday, Trump repeated his familiar boast of having built "the strongest economy in the history of the world" before the pandemic, while leveling only scattered charges against Biden.

Republicans have lashed Biden's $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan as unnecessary given the economy's emerging strength and as being poorly designed, because some of the direct payments will go to households earning as much as $150,000 annually.

But so far, none of the attacks have drawn much support beyond the GOP base. A Gallup poll last month found that 63% of Americans backed the Biden plan.

LOL 

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/As-economy-spikes-Republicans-are-still-waiting-16122150.php

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-debt-is-at-a-record-high-but-the-risk-calculus-is-changing-11618565580 

The U.S. said show me the money, and the world did.

Federal debt—incurred when the government sells Treasury bonds, bills, notes and other securities to help cover its costs—recently hit an all-time high, thanks in part to foreign investors who are happy to park their cash in the U.S.

The securities are attractive because of their safety and stability. The government has never failed to pay back its lenders the full value of the securities when they mature after a fixed period: 20 or 30 years for Treasury bonds; two to 10 years for notes; and as long as 52 weeks for bills.

The transactions provide the government with infusions of cash and—as long as the dollar remains the global reserve currency—offer individuals and institutions a safe way to sock away their wealth.

“One thing economists and people in general have miscalculated is the massive global appetite for the U.S. dollar and U.S. dollar-denominated debt,” said David Andolfatto, a senior vice president of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis. “This demand has exploded in the last 30 years.”

I just watched the CEO of the US chamber of commerce say our biggest national problem is we have a labor shortage. 

So which is it? We need covid relief to help those that lost their jobs to covid? We have an unemployment problem? Or is it We have a labor shortage? Is welfare too lucrative to be bother working ?

Why is it so hard to ask for a coherent government?? 

28 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I just watched the CEO of the US chamber of commerce say our biggest national problem is we have a labor shortage. 

So which is it? We need covid relief to help those that lost their jobs to covid? We have an unemployment problem? Or is it We have a labor shortage? Is welfare too lucrative to be bother working ?

Why is it so hard to ask for a coherent government?? 

A lot of people won't do the hard jobs. Many immigrants will. If the hard jobs (picking, working in meat processing, etc.) don't get done, then there are a lot of other jobs (accounting, managing, shipping) that either won't be needed as there will be less business. 

• Agree 1