Which AFCE Competitor will draft a QB First?

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I must say I'm a little pissed off with all the talk of the Jets or Dolphins landing Watson. We've put in the work for a QB and the Texans might hand our division rival a franchise QB? 

Aside from positioning yourself on a grassy knoll with a rifle, got any suggestions?  Letter to Christopher Johnson suggesting Tebow would work cheap?  😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
What the hell is a 'ridle'?! 🤨

If Belichick wants to continue coaching and ever win again he knows he needs a QB; they have to draft one.  I think the Fish are committed to getting Tua some weapons and seeing how that plays out.  The Jets are a mystery — I could see them trying to salvage Darnold but it’s a tough call.  Probably depends upon how much they like the guy they have ranked 2nd to Lawrence.

• Like (+1) 1

There’s a lot of variables in play.  Conventional wisdom is the Jets.  They now have a decent coach and probably the patience to develop him.  The Dolphins is a possibility, but we only know what we saw, vs. how their staff evaluated his progress.  I wouldn’t rule it out to push Tua.  The Pats may, but they have a lot of cap space now so if Watson was allowed a trade (and I still suspect they won’t as that is suicide for Houston), then the Jets and Pats are towards the top in space at $64 and $55 respectively for the Jets and Pats.  That would definitely be a Belichick move if he could pull it off.  My reasoning for Miami not getting as heavily into the race is they are farther down in space at $25.8 mil., but they have tons of draft capital and they could package Tua for it.  That seems far fetched, but anything is possible.

Youre question was first so the Jets.  I wouldn’t be surprised though if all three teams draft one early.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I must say I'm a little pissed off with all the talk of the Jets or Dolphins landing Watson. We've put in the work for a QB and the Texans might hand our division rival a franchise QB? 

I honestly think the Dolphins are the only threat because Flores seems to have a brain. The Jets ownership will continue their meddling and overall horrible job as usual. 

Doubtful Watson would even consider them. If he goes to Indy that would be something. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, TUBSTER said:

I agree.  Colts would make more sense, for Darnold's sake, because they can hide his inefficiencies behind a great rushing attack.  That could be a Ryan Tannehill situation, to a lesser degree, where a QB escapes bad coaching and ends up in a good situation for his style of play.   

Tannehill played significantly better than Darnold from the very beginning of his career -- he started from opening day of his rookie season and was good enough to be  given a second contract fairly early IIRC -- despite playing for a team that was mostly a dumpster fire.   Darnold hasn't shown much improvement in his three seasons, and few, if any, flashes of possibly having the makings of a great QB.  This might stem from coaching or lack of surrounding talent, but it might very well just be that Darnold isn't that good.

14 hours ago, Greg S said:

I wouldn't mind having Fitz on the Bills as a backup next season. He might be interested in coming back to Buffalo. He loved it here and he would have a chance to be on a playoff team that can win a Super Bowl. From the Bills side of things he would be a solid backup/insurance policy if Allen got hurt and had to miss some time. 

I would love it but I don't think FitzMagic comes back to WNY.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Greg S said:

Definitely don't want that to happen. Both the Jets and Fins have what it takes to make that trade. 

I agree. I don't want either team to trade for Watson. Nor do I want either team trading down and acquiring a ridiculous amount of draft capital. I'd prefer them both to stay put and pick. 

14 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

QB musical chairs ...

Jests - Draft Fields

patriots - Trade for Matt Ryan

Colts - Despite dead cap, Eagles cut Wentz and Colts sign him

Falcons - Trade for Watson

Texans - Trade for Darnold and bring in Gase as OC.

Dolphins - Stick with Tua and Fitz

Lions - Draft Wilson

Texans? There is no way in hades that they bring in Darnold and Gase, I assume you are busting chops on that... 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

I honestly think the Dolphins are the only threat because Flores seems to have a brain. The Jets ownership will continue their meddling and overall horrible job as usual. 

Doubtful Watson would even consider them. If he goes to Indy that would be something. 

Even if the new Houston GM commits political suicide and career is over before it starts, they would never trade in division to an ascending AFCS team.  After looking at their draft capital, and cap space, it would’ve been great for Indy.

• Like (+1) 2

Jets will draft a QB.  They can’t mess around with Darnold another year and pass on a QB when they’re drafting at the 2nd pick.  
Miami would be insane not to trade Tua and whatever else Houston wants for Watson if that’s what it takes.  Miami has the draft capital to get it done, but not sure why Houston would want Tua unless they just need a name so they’re fans won’t immediately revolt.  If they don’t land Watson, can’t see Miami wasting the 3rd overall pick on the 3rd best QB when they drafted Tua last year.  
In regards to New England, good luck figuring out what they’re gonna do.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

Yea ok... And he will be a wildcard team if he is good enough.

are you talking about last season in future tense? Or are you talking about last season, not knowing that what tense is?  

watson is one of the best QBs in the league.  Not sure anyone would dispute that.  I pray he doesn’t end up in the AFCE.  You should too

1 hour ago, Southern_Bills said:

Can’t see a situation where they would trade him within their own division.  That would be the dumbest move in history 

• Dislike 1

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

are you talking about last season in future tense? Or are you talking about last season, not knowing that what tense is?  

watson is one of the best QBs in the league.  Not sure anyone would dispute that.  I pray he doesn’t end up in the AFCE.  You should too

Can’t see a situation where they would trade him within their own division.  That would be the dumbest move in history 

Nah, not necessarily saying that will happen. I was just thinking ideal spots that have a vacancy, I wouldn't see it either but life is funny sometimes. 

7 hours ago, sirebors said:

I agree. I don't want either team to trade for Watson. Nor do I want either team trading down and acquiring a ridiculous amount of draft capital. I'd prefer them both to stay put and pick. 

Problem is the Dolphins already have a ridiculous amount of draft capital so they could more easily could afford Watson, especially if Flores has any sense and realizes Tua is not the answer and trades Tua and picks for Watson.  Tua has enough  panache to ease the pain a but for for the Texans.  Watson gets a team with a dynamic AA coaching a tax free state and live in Miami.  To me Miami is the real danger.

20 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

New England has to try something. That quarterbacking we saw week 16 was brutal. 

Yes I would think they have to do something and something radical. I cant believe Belichek wants to try and roll the dice and hope and prays he can get and train a franchise QB from the draft.  They have to be a front runner for Matt Stafford,