Which AFCE Competitor will draft a QB First?

4 minutes ago, TUBSTER said:

Probably the Jets.  I could see Darnold getting traded to the Bears or the Eagles possibly.  If I was Miami I would try to make a deal with Houston; Tua and picks for Watson preferably.  

I would add the Colts and Steelers into the mix(Darnold) as well with Rivers retiring and Ben nearing the end of his career. 

3 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I would add the Colts and Steelers into the mix(Darnold) as well with Rivers retiring and Ben nearing the end of his career. 

I agree.  Colts would make more sense, for Darnold's sake, because they can hide his inefficiencies behind a great rushing attack.  That could be a Ryan Tannehill situation, to a lesser degree, where a QB escapes bad coaching and ends up in a good situation for his style of play.   

18 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

Miami.  But it wont be  in the first round.

Miami needs to have a backup plan, and it would be nice to have 2 young QBs for Fitz to mentor.  Since they cant get rid of Fitz (insurance), but also arent going to play him anytime soon, may as well get max value for their money.

NE will trade for one somehow, or will draft one later than MIA.  Because . . . geniuses can find qbs late, and they dont like to admit that they need an  early first-round stud.

JEST will either (1) trade Darnold for another current QB (matt ryan, Matt stafford, Garrapolo (Saleh ties) and maybe Deshawn Watson, or (2) keep Darnold on his cheap rookie deal.  If he sucks under new coaching, they will draft a QB soon, but not this year.

LOl, yep Belichek and his ego is a real wild card.  I think their QB situation is the worst in the AFCE unless he has been hiding Stidham which i doubt.    Patriots almost have to draft one or trade for one, i cant imagine they go Newton and Stidham again.    I could see Belichek going for an accurate pocket passer that isn't a "project", he is running out of time.  Mac Jones, maybe with Belichek's  genius,  he can sneak him in rd 2....an accurate stable pocket passer, highly accurate and proven winner go to go.  

This offseason has the potential to have LOTS of quarterback moves.  So it's really hard to answer that question until Free Agency has finished.

First you have the aging vets finishing up their careers:

-  Phillip Rivers has officially retired

-  Drew Brees hasn't announced, but all the rumors say he's done

-  Ben Roethlisberger hasn't given an indication either, but he definitely needs to

Then you have the vets nearing the ends of their current contracts:

-  Dak Prescott, Mitch Trubisky and Cam Newton are all free agents in 2021

-  Jimmy Garoppolo, Derek Carr and Teddy Bridgewater could be easily cut in the offseason with very little dead-cap

Then you have the guys forcing the way out with their current teams:

-  The Texans are a mess and Deshaun Watson is likely to formally request a trade 

-  It's hard to imagine Carson Wentz coming back to Philly, regardless of his contract

That's not even getting into the trade rumors surrounding Matthew Stafford and Matt Ryan.  Or the fact that Tom Brady and Alex Smith are still old, and their teams could be looking for a QB of the future.  Or the bizarre situation involving Tua Tagovailoa, and whether the Dolphins actually want him to be their guy.

My count is that New England, New York, Indianapolis and Jacksonville will absolutely be in the market for a new QB this offseason.  Pittsburgh, Houston, Washington, Chicago and New Orleans are almost certain to join that list.  Depending on how things shake out, it's possible that Miami, Las Vegas, Dallas, Detroit, Atlanta and San Francisco could be as well.  That comes to 15 teams (almost half of the league!!!!) with questionable situations at the most important position.

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't be surprised to see Trey Lance end up going to the Jets at #2. He's gonna jump up draft up boards as a "sexy pick" after the workouts & inevitable comparisons to Josh Allen, being from the MWC. I think Josh's success story will lead to a trend of teams reaching, going for the next diamond in the rough.

I think the Fitz situation is interesting. He's a FA and it certainly looked like he had the rug pulled out from underneath him. Flores said he was a Company guy helping TUA  but I would think most wouldn't have been happy getting pulled when you're playing well and get called on to clean up the kids messes later on. I would think he'd still like to be the #1 - would NE or Indy in the AFC be his better fit as a transition guy ? Fitz doesn't really have a track record of staying anywhere. If he leaves does Miami really want to hang everything on TUA ? It would be hard to draft a QB and keep TUA without it being a cluster. NE could try Fitz and draft a project QB - they really have no one on the current roster. Indy has a lot of pieces in place and a great coach

The JETS ? I think the prefer to stay with the ghost of Nameth 

Pretty sure Jets will stick with Darnold and use the draft to add weapons like the Bills did.

Miami will not draft a QB.  I could see them trading Tua for Watson but not drafting another QB.

New England will find another veteran for next year.  I suspect it will be Matt Ryan.

That leaves Buffalo.

Depending on how free agency goes, they could only have a few holes to fill - Edge, DT, OLB, C and TE.  I would not rule out them taking another QB next year to compete for the back-up role if someone falls or they trade down.  

10 minutes ago, Pitch left said:

I think the Fitz situation is interesting. He's a FA and it certainly looked like he had the rug pulled out from underneath him. Flores said he was a Company guy helping TUA  but I would think most wouldn't have been happy getting pulled when you're playing well and get called on to clean up the kids messes later on. I would think he'd still like to be the #1 - would NE or Indy in the AFC be his better fit as a transition guy ? Fitz doesn't really have a track record of staying anywhere. If he leaves does Miami really want to hang everything on TUA ? It would be hard to draft a QB and keep TUA without it being a cluster. NE could try Fitz and draft a project QB - they really have no one on the current roster. Indy has a lot of pieces in place and a great coach

The JETS ? I think the prefer to stay with the ghost of Nameth 

I wouldn't mind having Fitz on the Bills as a backup next season. He might be interested in coming back to Buffalo. He loved it here and he would have a chance to be on a playoff team that can win a Super Bowl. From the Bills side of things he would be a solid backup/insurance policy if Allen got hurt and had to miss some time. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, 947 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Trey Lance end up going to the Jets at #2. He's gonna jump up draft up boards as a "sexy pick" after the workouts & inevitable comparisons to Josh Allen, being from the MWC. I think Josh's success story will lead to a trend o.f teams reaching, going for the next diamond in the rough

Yep but assuming they have done their work Josh has two attributes a lot (eg Rosen) dont.  Native intelligence and intense desire to lead & improve.   IMO had Josh not had those attributes, he would have remained the same inaccurate QB so many experts were laughing at. n I have no idea about Trey Lance's desire and/our intelligence.  

Miami is not drafting a QB.  They feel like they have their guy in Tua and they are going to invest in him for a few years, unless something weird happens and they end up with Watson from Houston.

I think the Jets ultimately will move on from Darnold, but not immediately.

New England should draft a QB next.  They may well try to get a hold of a veteran as  short term solution, but they need to draft the next one.  

How NE rebounds from their current situation is one of the more interesting stories in the league IMO.

QB musical chairs ...

Jests - Draft Fields

patriots - Trade for Matt Ryan

Colts - Despite dead cap, Eagles cut Wentz and Colts sign him

Falcons - Trade for Watson

Texans - Trade for Darnold and bring in Gase as OC.

Dolphins - Stick with Tua and Fitz

Lions - Draft Wilson

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Miami is not drafting a QB.  They feel like they have their guy in Tua and they are going to invest in him for a few years, unless something weird happens and they end up with Watson from Houston.

I think the Jets ultimately will move on from Darnold, but not immediately.

New England should draft a QB next.  They may well try to get a hold of a veteran as  short term solution, but they need to draft the next one.  

How NE rebounds from their current situation is one of the more interesting stories in the league IMO.

I agree with all you wrote except to definitely write Miami is not drafting a QB absent something weird is too strong.  If I were the GM or HC, I would lobby for a QB early in the draft....hey have so much draft capital they miss on second pick in #1 round or either in their 2nd rounders, will that really matter that much?  

I would guess the Patriots are the most likely of the 3 to draft a QB. Sounds like the Jets plan to move forward with Darnold. I'm not really sure what Miami will do; I wouldn't be surprised if they took a QB but at the moment I would guess they do not.

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

QB musical chairs ...

Jests - Draft Fields

Lions - Draft Wilson

If I was Darnold I would retire at this point

Edited by Cruiserplayer

8 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

QB musical chairs ...

Jests - Draft Fields

Lions - Draft Wilson

Are you trying to get Darnold to commit suicide?

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I would guess the Patriots are the most likely of the 3 to draft a QB. Sounds like the Jets plan to move forward with Darnold. I'm not really sure what Miami will do; I wouldn't be surprised if they took a QB but at the moment I would guess they do not.

Agree on Miami but I think the Jets will end up taking one. I think this is a decent class at Quarterback and it lacks too many other "can't miss" type players at other positions. I think as the process goes on they end up deciding it is by far the best way to use a top 10 pick in this draft.

Probably the Jets b.c Miami is fooled by That. New England who knows what Bill does but it probably won't work out like most his drafts.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I must say I'm a little pissed off with all the talk of the Jets or Dolphins landing Watson. We've put in the work for a QB and the Texans might hand our division rival a franchise QB? 

Not really worried about Watson...