"Some in the league think Josh Allen has caught Patrick Mahomes", per PFT

Logic

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

What are you not getting here?  DT didn't play at all this season.  So he wasn't a starter.  The other guys didn't play most of the season.  The guys that replaced them became the starters and the team didn't miss a beat.  And yes, on the few times the Bills brought pressure, Mahomes made a play or two because his receivers were open instantly. 

Mahomes played without three and a half first stringers, but most of them were out for all or the majority of the year.  Allen had his entire line healthy.  Advantage Mahomes, obviously. 🙄

57 minutes ago, Doc said:

As I said earlier, taking QB out of the equation, there is almost no one from among the players or coaches from the Bills' offense I'd take over the Chefs'.  And I'd also take Spagnuolo over Frazier as DC.  And since Mahomes has a year more in the NFL, won MVP, a SB and SB MVP and is considered a HOF'er already, I'd have to say he's better than Josh right now.  But I'm hoping to change my mind soon.

I'd take Diggs and Dawkins. Those would both start for KC. Tempted to say Williams too but need to see how much the injury has hurt Schwartz.

56 minutes ago, Billl said:

Do you think Mahomes had a better line what with 4 of 5 starters being out, or do you think he did a great job of reading the defense pre snap, identifying mismatches, and making quick decisions?  

Josh looked confused.  He changed plays consistently, but the defense adjusted as well.  He was under pressure, but he also missed plenty of throws that were there and got lucky with a couple of terrible decisions that could easily have been interceptions.

I can't think of a single play where Mahomes made a bad read or missed a throw.  When Buffalo blitzers got a clean shot at him, he shrugged them off and hit big plays.  When Kansas City blitzed, Josh took huge sacks.  

Both guys are Favre physically.  Mahomes is turning into Brady mentally to go with it.

Give me a break.  All you need to see is the all-22 for both guys - and the announcers pointed it out repeatedly during the game.

Mahomes' receivers were wide open much of the night.  The Bills banged-up crew was not - they were blanketed.

Love the hot take, though.  Allen rarely got rattled all season. We'll see how big the "mental difference" is as time progresses. I don't think it's the differentiator that you make it out to be.

Not that this is surprising. Clearly, you and I disagree about Mahomes/Allen, and Chiefs/Bills. That's fine. But this IS a Bills board, and guess what?  We're allowed to have some hope in a QB who has gone from 50 to 60 to 70% accuracy over 3 seasons, and is obsessive about improving his game.  

I'd probably be more open to your arguments if we were a few weeks or months into the offseason.  But much less so less than 2 weeks after a painful AFCCG loss.  Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I'm from the school where it's a tad impolite to come in as an opposing fan's board right after that to try to ensure that Bills fans don't start believing TOO much in their team or QB.

Edited by Success
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Billl said:

Mahomes played without three and a half first stringers, but most of them were out for all or the majority of the year.  Allen had his entire line healthy.  Advantage Mahomes, obviously. 🙄

So if the first-stringers are replaced by backups who play just as well, what does that tell you about the first-stringers?  Or more precisely, the system?  Now if any of the backups-turned-starters had gotten injured during the game and needed to be replaced by the backup backups, you'd have a point.  But that didn't happen.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I'd take Diggs and Dawkins. Those would both start for KC. Tempted to say Williams too but need to see how much the injury has hurt Schwartz.

I said Diggs and maybe Chad Hall.  I could see Dawkins.

10 minutes ago, Billl said:

To be fair by the same token Cody Ford would be considered a "starter" on the Bills line and was out. 

The point with the Bills line is just that Spags has the secret sauce against it. They can pass protect against everyone that isn't the Chiefs. They gotta work that out before we play again next year and then we will see what Josh can do. He hasn't had very good games against KC this year but he has been constantly under duress in both games.

16 minutes ago, Billl said:

I don't care who's listed where in the depth chart, it boils down to KCs Oline played much better than the Bills. On the flipside, the Chiefs defense was also able to bring pressure. The few opportunities the Bills got to Mahomes, they managed to whiff.

Edited by RaoulDuke79
Clarification

42 minutes ago, Billl said:

Don't forget Mahomie was coming off a concussion and turf toe. There was speculation that he might not even be able to play.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Allen did have good stats but I don't think he's really a top tier QB. 

Just don't see him on that same level as those other guys. 

There's a lot of QB's I'd trade up straight up for Allen. 

How am I trolling?

Allen played like crap in 2 out of 3 playoff games. 

Am I not allowed to have concerns about that? 

This dude is just freaking awesome. 

this is stuff is pure gold. 

4 hours ago, Billl said:

Do you think Mahomes had a better line what with 4 of 5 starters being out, or do you think he did a great job of reading the defense pre snap, identifying mismatches, and making quick decisions?  

Josh looked confused.  He changed plays consistently, but the defense adjusted as well.  He was under pressure, but he also missed plenty of throws that were there and got lucky with a couple of terrible decisions that could easily have been interceptions.

I can't think of a single play where Mahomes made a bad read or missed a throw.  When Buffalo blitzers got a clean shot at him, he shrugged them off and hit big plays.  When Kansas City blitzed, Josh took huge sacks.  

Both guys are Favre physically.  Mahomes is turning into Brady mentally to go with it.

Re: the bolded...you seein' a few now?

I think he'll come back. But this is how he looks w/ the kind of pressure in his face that Allen had all game against KC.

3 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

mahomes didn't even have to play well agaisnt the bills. everything was free for the taking. no pressure. huge wide open spaces for receivers. they walked over us. 

To me, it shows definitely why after the AFCCG, it was way too simplistic to say Mahomes was cool while Allen looked harried.

There's a reason for that.  Pressure on the QB. All QB's react negatively to it.