"Some in the league think Josh Allen has caught Patrick Mahomes", per PFT

Logic

14 minutes ago, Success said:

You can't really compare the circumstances. 

We didn't really have a pass rush yesterday, and KC did.  Allen was under much more pressure than Mahomes.

You actually can compare them. One was playing with turf toe — a serious injury because it’s a torn ligament — and the other wasn’t, yet Mahomes outplayed his opponent. Allen is a terrific player — I love him — but Mahomes is another stratosphere. 

Edited by dave mcbride

25 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I didn't see Mahomes run backwards 10 or even 5 yards once last night..... look Allen is great, Mahomes is just way above every other QB.

Mahomes is also unbelievably calm no matter the circumstances. Allen was a nervous wreck last night. 

It's not hard to be calm when you don't have pressure.

But yes, Mahomes is still a level above Allen....a good level above.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I didn't see Mahomes run backwards 10 or even 5 yards once last night..... look Allen is great, Mahomes is just way above every other QB.

Mahomes is also unbelievably calm no matter the circumstances. Allen was a nervous wreck last night. 

Nervous wreck is complete nonsense 

He was running for his life every other play.  

That's on the protection, that's on the game plan, and that's on everyone from Allen to the coaches.  

Mahomes looked calm and composed bc they knew exactly what they wanted to do and did it.  He also could have played in a suit.  

Allen looked like he did (not nervous, but rather pressing) because nothing was there, and he had pressure on him all night.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

The Allen improvement is the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen. It’s insane to write but the guy is a legit top 5ish qb. So insane. However, right now, Mahomes is on another level.

but the fact it is not a totally laughable statement, which it was before this year, says so much about what Allen has become. I’m so impressed with the guy. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/24/2021 at 10:06 PM, ScottLaw said:

Knew this thread was ridiculously premature,

Mahomes was calm as a cucumber. Allen looked like a nervous wreck for much of the game. 

Look at the situation.  Josh was under pressure with blanketed receivers most of the game.  Mahomes faced pretty much no pressure most of the game while Hill and Kelce were 5 yards open every play.  Big difference.

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Because he didnt have to.  There was no pressure and their receivers were wide open every play.  What don't you understand about that?

Allen looked rattled and uncertain--- the Chiefs D definitely knocked him off his game. Threw some inaccurate passes late and high--- could have been picked off twice more. Allen reverted a bit to his old form at times, but protection issues contributed.

• 2 weeks later...

You simply can't make a fair comparison of the two given one has far superior weapons and a coach with a HOF track record as an offensive mastermind. I'm very confident you switch both QB's the Bills still lose the AFC title game. 

That said, the NFL is a results oriented business and you can't argue with Mahomes results so he gets the nod until Allen and the Bills find a way to get it done in the postseason.

That said, it's certainly not unreasonable for some GM's to consider Allen the better prospect. But Mahomes is the safest and at worst his ceiling is just a tad below Allen's.

We should all be encouraged by the fact that on que, Allen delivered big time this season as a bona fide top 5 QB in the league in his very first season with a legitimate all-pro WR. At the same time it's going to be a tough road for the Bills as long as the Chiefs have Hill and Kelce to go along with Mahomes.

10 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

You simply can't make a fair comparison of the two given one has far superior weapons and a coach with a HOF track record as an offensive mastermind. I'm very confident you switch both QB's the Bills still lose the AFC title game. 

That said, the NFL is a results oriented business and you can't argue with Mahomes results so he gets the nod until Allen and the Bills find a way to get it done in the postseason.

That said, it's certainly not unreasonable for some GM's to consider Allen the better prospect. But Mahomes is the safest and at worst his ceiling is just a tad below Allen's.

We should all be encouraged by the fact that on que, Allen delivered big time this season as a bona fide top 5 QB in the league in his very first season with a legitimate all-pro WR. At the same time it's going to be a tough road for the Bills as long as the Chiefs have Hill and Kelce to go along with Mahomes.

The fact that we are even having this conversation makes me giddy lol. Such huge step Josh made from a year ago makes you wonder what he will do year 4 the start of his prime.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Mahomes > Allen.

There is no doubt and it shouldn’t be a conversation at this point.

That could change next year, but Josh still has some work to do in making the right reads quickly while dealing with pressure. It may have been a strong point for him all season, but it certainly wasn’t vs chiefs.  His placement was off.  Dealing with crowds may also be an issue for him too

If Mahomes continue playing like he is now and his targets stay healthy, he will most likely be regarded as the best QB ever when it’s all said and done. Jmo 

15 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The only thing you can compare is each QBs performance.  Mahomes > Josh at this point.  

it’s not that we can’t compare them. We can.....we just can’t compare them on an equal playing field.....similar to every athlete comparison in the history of sports.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Sunday is such a swing game for the legacies of Mahomes and Reid. As much as we love Allen, there's a big difference between the 2. 

If KC wins, the GOAT whispers will begin. They would have a chance to become the first team in NFL history to 3 peat as SB champions, with one of those coming against Brady. Later on, when we're comparing careers, having this W would be enormous for both Mahomes and Reid. 

To win 5 or 6 titles, you've got to bank a few early on in your career, as Brady did. He went 10 years between SB wins, but stacked them when he did win. 

On the other hand, with a loss Mahomes drops to .500 in the big game and Reid has a losing record at 1-2. This is likely his only chance to best Brady on this stage. 

Brady is playing with house money. Even if he gets blown out, it doesn't hurt him at all. He's 43 for crying out loud, against the up and coming superstar QB and team. But for Mahomes, this is enormous. 

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Mahomes > Allen.

There is no doubt and it shouldn’t be a conversation at this point.

That could change next year, but Josh still has some work to do in making the right reads quickly while dealing with pressure. It may have been a strong point for him all season, but it certainly wasn’t vs chiefs.  His placement was off.  Dealing with crowds may also be an issue for him too

If Mahomes continue playing like he is now and his targets stay healthy, he will most likely be regarded as the best QB ever when it’s all said and done. Jmo 

I don't think anyone is catching Brady for the GOAT especially if the Bucs win this Sunday.

• Agree 1

Just now, Greg S said:

I don't think anyone is catching Brady for the GOAT especially if the Bucs win this Sunday.

I do

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

After he wins the super bowl in a couple days, he would’ve been 1 Offside call away from winning 3 super titles in 3 years as a starter.  

just think about that

Just now, NewEra said:

I do

If Mahomes can do it or hopefully Allen then I would be the first to give them a standing O. Brady has basically spent his entire career playing on a dynasty. It will be a very difficult task to replace him as the GOAT. IMHO.

2 minutes ago, Greg S said:

If Mahomes can do it or hopefully Allen then I would be the first to give them a standing O. Brady has basically spent his entire career playing on a dynasty. It will be a very difficult task to replace him as the GOAT. IMHO.

I thought so too.....then I watched Mahomes.

brady won multiple titles while not being the main reason they won.  Mahomes will be THE reason the chiefs win several Super Bowls 

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I do

After he wins the super bowl in a couple days, he would’ve been 1 Offside call away from winning 3 super titles in 3 years as a starter.  

just think about that

KC better be real good at drafting and developing those players as well as being successful in FA. NE basically kept their window to win open for 20 years. Also KC will have to deal with salary cap issues like all teams. I hate them with a passion but what NE accomplished these past two decades was extremely impressive especially in today's salary cap world.