"Some in the league think Josh Allen has caught Patrick Mahomes", per PFT

Logic

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'm gonna go back a ways here - reminds me of what we saw in Super Bowl XXIII. 49ers with Montana, Bengals with Boomer. Bengals had defeated the Bills in the AFC Championship. Boomer was the MVP. On paper they were the more dominant team.

And then Boomer looked like a deer caught in the headlights while Montana was ... Montana. Oh, the Bengals made a run and made it look respectable, but anyone who watched that game had to admit it: Montana was one of the very best to ever play the game. Boomer was a talented guy with some excellent offensive talent around him and an innovative offensive scheme.

The Bills did what they were supposed to do this year, moving up another level or two. And Allen may certainly perform better if and when he gets there again. But sometimes you never do get there again. Boomer never did.

well, this wins true yet depressing post of the night. 

that said, I like Allen more than Boomer and we have a GM who may be better than Polian.  I like our odds of catching  and beating KC. 

Edited by RyanC883

24 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I agree. Dude is great. I love him as a QB. He’s no Mahomes. It’s not even close. Mahomes is on another level. Guy is calm, cool, collected. Allen looked tight and nervous for the first quarter and a half. Chiefs went down 9 and Mahomes didn’t flinch.

Hopefully he learns to get there with experience. 

It’s easy to look calm when your go to targets are running open on every play. Just saying. We seen Allen look calm a lot this year as well when his guys were running open but that just wasn’t the case today for us. 

They had a game plan to stop our strength while we had a game plan to slow their strength down by giving them easy completions. 

19 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

To many times a receiver is standing there wide open but he's waiting for something deep and pressure gets to him and he makes a bad decision. He swore he learned after Texans last year but it still resurfaces. 

He does have a tendency to do that a bit too much. I just don't think it was the main problem tonight. I thought the one 3 and out drive where he almost threw a pick then a high pass to Diggs was his one awful drive of the game. Other than that it was shades of the 2019 offense where he was forced to do everything on his own. KC makes it look easy. Their pass catchers find soft spots in the zone and sit there. Meanwhile Daboll is calling the same long developing crossing routes or another stupid run that everyone knows will fail. Notice how the whole game Bills were dropping into deep zones just like KC, so KC's offense responded with quick short throws that left room for YAC. We finally started doing this in the 4th quarter but it was way too late. Allen was a little impatient early on but he didn't always have an option available to him.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'm gonna go back a ways here - reminds me of what we saw in Super Bowl XXIII. 49ers with Montana, Bengals with Boomer. Bengals had defeated the Bills in the AFC Championship. Boomer was the MVP. On paper they were the more dominant team.

And then Boomer looked like a deer caught in the headlights while Montana was ... Montana. Oh, the Bengals made a run and made it look respectable, but anyone who watched that game had to admit it: Montana was one of the very best to ever play the game. Boomer was a talented guy with some excellent offensive talent around him and an innovative offensive scheme.

The Bills did what they were supposed to do this year, moving up another level or two. And Allen may certainly perform better if and when he gets there again. But sometimes you never do get there again. Boomer never did.

I’m not even sure why you would bring up Boomer Esiason as a comparison with Josh Allen since there games are so different.

Boomer never got there again, true.....but the guy Boomer beat in the AFC Championship sure made it back again, didn’t he? Again, and again, and again, and again. 

7 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'm brightening up here. I reminded myself that the Bills that lost that AFC Championship won the next 4.

no they lost in the year after in opening round...then won the 4 straight when they unleashed the kelly no huddle

1 minute ago, Beast said:

I’m not even sure why you would bring up Boomer Esiason as a comparison with Josh Allen since there games are so different.

Boomer never got there again, true.....but the guy Boomer beat in the AFC Championship sure made it back again, didn’t he? Again, and again, and again, and again. 

Very true. And I edited my post to include that little fact.

I think I'm just commenting on the OP here - namely, that Allen may have caught or even passed Mahomes.

That seemed like a reasonable assessment a couple weeks ago. It doesn't today. Allen is excellent and we should be glad we've got him. Mahomes is on pace to be the GOAT, or awfully close to it.

2 minutes ago, Tcali said:

no they lost in the year after in opening round...then won the 4 straight when they unleashed the kelly no huddle

Good. Maybe there's more time on that growth curve.

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I’m all for another WR early in the draft...

Me too. I'm not satisfied with Brown and Davis. The Chiefs have 2 elite offensive weapons outside of Mahomes. The Bills have 1. No defensive player in the draft is going to help us beat KC next year. Need another weapon that can help us keep up with their offense. It doesn't have to be a WR, I'd gladly take a RB or even TE if they can run fast and catch the ball.

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Me too. I'm not satisfied with Brown and Davis. The Chiefs have 2 elite offensive weapons outside of Mahomes. The Bills have 1. No defensive player in the draft is going to help us beat KC next year. Need another weapon that can help us keep up with their offense. It doesn't have to be a WR, I'd gladly take a RB or even TE if they can run fast and catch the ball.

Is an offensive player?  The Chiefs punted once all game. 6 drives with points, 5 of them TD's.

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Is an offensive player?  The Chiefs punted once all game. 6 drives with points, 5 of them TD's.

When the Chiefs are at their best there isn't a defense in history that can stop them. The best bet is to keep up on offense and slow their offense as best you can. They are the one team in the league that no matter what you do sometimes it will take a shootout to beat them. It would be nice if we had a Bosa or Garrett but you need a top 2 pick to get players like that.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

When the Chiefs are at their best there isn't a defense in history that can stop them. The best bet is to keep up on offense and slow their offense as best you can. They are the one team in the league that no matter what you do sometimes it will take a shootout to beat them. It would be nice if we had a Bosa or Garrett but you need a top 2 pick to get players like that.

You simply cannot let them score 6 drives straight.

I agree that the offense and defense both need upgrading because sometimes you need to match a shootout, but we need a pass rusher that can get their QB off platform.  We are missing a passrusher in a big way.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I agree that the offense and defense both need upgrading because sometimes you need to match a shootout, but we need a pass rusher that can get their QB off platform.  We are missing a passrusher in a big way.

The chance of finding a pass rusher that immediately improves the defense that late in the draft is minimal. We should have a few options in free agency. JJ Watt, Leonard Williams, Hendrickson, Clowney, Ngakoue... we can sign an immediate impact player. Offensive rookies are more plug and play, especially RBs.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

The chance of finding a pass rusher that immediately improves the defense that late in the draft is minimal. We should have a few options in free agency. JJ Watt, Leonard Williams, Hendrickson, Clowney, Ngakoue... we can sign an immediate impact player. Offensive rookies are more plug and play, especially RBs.

???

You don't draft to immediately fill needs. That's what bad teams do.

Did Mahomes even get knocked down tonight?  Sacked?  Running for his life in 2 seconds or less at all?  

Felt like Allen was every other play.  

He can't keep taking sacks for minus 18 yards.  But that he does evade a lot of those rushes most of the time.  And I don't want that coached out of him.  

3 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Again it’s not even close. 

Actually it's very close.  By the end of next season you won't be able to tell the difference between Mahomes & Allen. 

And that's not disrespecting Mahomes in any way.  I believe he's the best QB in the NFL.  This is about how much Allen has improved, the fantastic physical tools he brings to the position and the expected further improvements in Allen's game from now to next season. 

I truly believe that next season Allen & Mahomes will be the consensus picks as the best QB's in the NFL.

• Vomit 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I didn't see Mahomes run backwards 10 or even 5 yards once last night..... look Allen is great, Mahomes is just way above every other QB.

Mahomes is also unbelievably calm no matter the circumstances. Allen was a nervous wreck last night. 

You can't really compare the circumstances. 

We didn't really have a pass rush yesterday, and KC did.  Allen was under much more pressure than Mahomes.

• Like (+1) 1