"Some in the league think Josh Allen has caught Patrick Mahomes", per PFT

Logic

5 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

A lot of this stuff is hyperbole to try and fill time.   To "catch" Mahomes, Josh is going to have to show this wasnt a one year wonder type of thing.  He will also need a ring and an MVP, which is easier said than done.   Beat the Chiefs this weekend and you can start to talk about it, but before then I dont think this should even be a discussion.

With this type of commentary, you are only fueling the seething rage of the Bills over almost universal disrespect.  Keep it going!!

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he has played every bit as well as Mahomes in 2020. 

To some he will need the Superbowl ring to "catch" him

This is true unfortunately. To me it's not a fair comparison. Mahomes has the hardware and Josh ATM is up and coming. Mahomes was picked up by a team with a fully stacked roster and what many consider a brilliant offensive mind. Allen got picked up during a total rebuild and a defensive HC in his second year. I can't say Josh would have become the same player as Mahomes if the roles were switched but he most likely would've developed quicker. Josh should be compared to the likes of Jackson, Mayfield, Darnold, Goff, Murray and Watson. Until Josh wins a ring many if not most will just dismiss the argument. Even if he puts up a good game say 27/36 320 yards 3 TDs 1 INT and loses he will still be the guy who couldn't get it done. Like I said, unfair comparison.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

This is true unfortunately. To me it's not a fair comparison. Mahomes has the hardware and Josh ATM is up and coming. Mahomes was picked up by a team with a fully stacked roster and what many consider a brilliant offensive mind. Allen got picked up during a total rebuild and a defensive HC in his second year. I can't say Josh would have become the same player as Mahomes if the roles were switched but he most likely would've developed quicker. Josh should be compared to the likes of Jackson, Mayfield, Darnold, Goff, Murray and Watson. Until Josh wins a ring many if not most will just dismiss the argument. Even if he puts up a good game say 27/36 320 yards 3 TDs 1 INT and loses he will still be the guy who couldn't get it done. Like I said, unfair comparison.

Again, if you watch the video, the issue isn't whether Josh Allen has had a better career than Mahomes to this point (of course he hasnt'); it's whether a hypothetical GM, given the choice, would take JA over Mahomes for his team right now.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

A lot of this stuff is hyperbole to try and fill time.   To "catch" Mahomes, Josh is going to have to show this wasnt a one year wonder type of thing.  He will also need a ring and an MVP, which is easier said than done.   Beat the Chiefs this weekend and you can start to talk about it, but before then I dont think this should even be a discussion.

I pretty much agree with this. Theres no need to jump to a conclusion. Who cares if hes not as good as Mahomes right now. Allen this season was without a doubt a top 3 QB in the NFL. Ill take that from my 24yr old QB. 

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

Again, if you watch the video, the issue isn't whether Josh Allen has had a better career than Mahomes to this point (of course he hasnt'); it's whether a hypothetical GM, given the choice, would take JA over Mahomes for his team right now.  

Being 100% objective, what GM wouldnt take Mahomes over Allen right now? Their basically the same age so that doesnt come into play. Mahomes has done it longer and better, so that goes to his benefit.

Playing devils advocate lets say Allen does improve a little more than this season. How much better can you statistically be than Mahomes? The dude threw for 50TD in 2018 and 38 this season in 15 games. Hes a monster. And the fact that he has won it all cant be dismissed in an imaginary scenario. 

That being said I love Josh Allen. Hes the best QB the Bills may have had in their history. I wouldnt trade him for Mahomes. Hes perfect for us. 

7 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I agree but I think his consistent play in 18 games has shown he isn't no 1 year wonder  

If anything he will only get better and his potential and ceiling is really unknown.  

He might be the greatest physical specimen we've ever seen at the QB position 

He’s caught him if the Bills win this game. It’s as simple as that imo, with the exception of a last team with the ball wins type of game. I just think if the elite version of Josh shows up this weekend, we’re in the big game. That’s the real question. 

The fact this is even a conversation is a win. 

For me, Allen just has to prove he can shake the early game jitters here in the playoffs and continue to make good choices, the rest will take care of itself.  Josh IS more physically gifted than PM, but what you do with it is what matters and PM is the best in the business right now, until proven otherwise.  Injuries are the biggest concern for him if you are being honest, Rs about the only thing that has slowed him down.

Maybe a hot take but I think one area where Allen is actually further developed to this point is his pre-snap recognition and ability to check into the right play after his communication with Daboll cuts off. Mahomes has shown some slower development here (one example was vs Miami) while he is certainly a post-snap improvisational magician. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Maybe a hot take but I think one area where Allen is actually further developed to this point is his pre-snap recognition and ability to check into the right play after his communication with Daboll cuts off. Mahomes has shown some slower development here (one example was vs Miami) while he is certainly a post-snap improvisational magician. 

I think there are a lot of people who have no idea how good Josh is, at this point in his career, in his pre-snap reads. Even when the defense gives him a false pre-snap read, he, more often than not, quickly recognizes it at the snap of the ball and adjusts rather than forcing a throw into a coverage he didn't anticipate pre-snap.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I think there are a lot of people who have no idea how good Josh is, at this point in his career, in his pre-snap reads. Even when the defense gives him a false pre-snap read, he, more often than not, quickly recognizes it at the snap of the ball and adjusts rather than forcing a throw into a coverage he didn't anticipate pre-snap.

He can get so much better too with Daboll returning. But I see early Brady/Manning vibes with his pre snap reads. “reload reload reload!”

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

He can get so much better too with Daboll returning. But I see early Brady/Manning vibes with his pre snap reads. “reload reload reload!”

I agree. It is what he will be able to do mentally that will maximize the physical gifts he possesses - and he is one smart kid.