"Some in the league think Josh Allen has caught Patrick Mahomes", per PFT

Logic

24 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

A lot of this stuff is hyperbole to try and fill time.   To "catch" Mahomes, Josh is going to have to show this wasnt a one year wonder type of thing.  He will also need a ring and an MVP, which is easier said than done.   Beat the Chiefs this weekend and you can start to talk about it, but before then I dont think this should even be a discussion.

Well, "some in the league" disagree with you.

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

A lot of this stuff is hyperbole to try and fill time.   To "catch" Mahomes, Josh is going to have to show this wasnt a one year wonder type of thing.  He will also need a ring and an MVP, which is easier said than done.   Beat the Chiefs this weekend and you can start to talk about it, but before then I dont think this should even be a discussion.

Rings are a team thing, not a QB thing.

MVPs are a one-year thing.

It's a discussion. Not there quite yet, IMO, but very close, and Allen is younger and has thrown 300 fewer passes.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Honestly as much as I love Allen I think this Is absolutely ridiculous. Mahomes has played better football than anyone in the history of the game over a 3 year span. His first 3 as a starter. Pump the breaks. 

They're not saying Josh's career has been as good as Mahomes'. Wouldn't make sense to say so. Over a three-year span, sure, Mahomes.

But that's not what they're talking about.

They're saying right now who's better?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Honestly as much as I love Allen I think this Is absolutely ridiculous. Mahomes has played better football than anyone in the history of the game over a 3 year span. His first 3 as a starter. Pump the breaks. 

I agree with this, however he has had pretty damn good weapons since he became the starter. I would argue that it's likely Josh Allen would have had a pretty good year, or at least a lot better if he would have had some WR's worth a crap.

Some seem to forget Bills had the worst WR's in the league Allen's rookie year. Constant drops and just had nothing to work with. Now I'm not saying he would have had a great season like PM did, but that definitely had a huge impact. Only so much a man can do with no help

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

It's not hyperbole, they are discussing what they have heard around the league.   No one is saying that Josh has the QB cred that Mahomes does because he hasn't accomplished as much.  What they are saying is that based off of his talent level and what he is beginning to achieve, when you couple that with his amazing physical talents which arguably are more pronounced than Mahomes, that some of their sources around the league are beginning to wonder if Josh could be the elite QB of the league over the next 10 years.  That is a fair discussion and musings for people to have.

1 hour ago, Jpsredemption said:

You guys are completely misunderstanding what they are saying.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

I think if we win on Sunday, and Allen plays well, this debate has serious merit.  

Right now, I’d say Mahomes has done it year after year.   There is consistency there.   

Id also say that he’s a year older than Josh, sat for a year and has had Kelce/Hill from the jump.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

Stephen A. Said it well today (love him or hate him, I tend to enjoy his takes). Basically if Allen goes out and does what is needed on Sunday, he almost erases Baker, Lamar, and Watson from the conversation with him and it becomes Mahomes and Allen. 

People may know Allen is there but it isn't acknowledged like the rest of them, he can change that Sunday. If he goes out and loses in an unflattering way, he will remain where he is in the conversation regardless of actual on field talent.

• Like (+1) 1

How cool is it to even have this discussion?

It reminds me of the Brady/Manning debate. Either way, you're set for 15 years. 

I'll just come out and say it: IF Allen plays at this level for a decade the Bills winning just 1 super Bowl would be a disappointment. 

If that sounds crazy, put it this way: If in 2031 Mahomes has just 1 ring that would be considered a disappointment. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think if we win on Sunday, and Allen plays well, this debate has serious merit.  

Right now, I’d say Mahomes has done it year after year.   There is consistency there.   

Id also say that he’s a year older than Josh, sat for a year and has had Kelce/Hill from the jump.  

I can agree with all of this. Great points. 

52 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

But they’re saying some in the league, that’s the NFL, are saying it. So it’s happening. Like people are saying this in spite of what your personal opinion is.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

How cool is it to even have this discussion?

It reminds me of the Brady/Manning debate. Either way, you're set for 15 years. 

I'll just come out and say it: IF Allen plays at this level for a decade the Bills winning just 1 super Bowl would be a disappointment. 

If that sounds crazy, put it this way: If in 2031 Mahomes has just 1 ring that would be considered a disappointment. 

You are completely correct, how badly does Indy feel they had Manning all them years and have 1 ring to show for it. Very unfortunate. 

1 minute ago, Southern_Bills said:

You are completely correct, how badly does Indy feel they had Manning all them years and have 1 ring to show for it. Very unfortunate. 

So many missed opportunities for those Colts teams. After a while that becomes the legacy. Same with Green Bay and Rogers. Yes, he has a ring, but it seems like a waste that he doesn't have more or at least more SB appearances.

The Brady/Manning debate was huge in the early to mid 2000's. Brady's teams won more often than Manning's teams, so he's the GOAT and Manning is an all-time great. I still say if you put Manning on the Patriots they win every Super bowl Brady won. Lots of things go into it, of course. Brady had 1 coach that entire run and Manning had many, and aside from Dungy most were mediocre to poor. 

As Bills fans many of us have "just wanted one" for decades, but still, if you have a guy who is in the conversation for best QB in the league you are going to be in these spots a lot and then it becomes about rings.