"Some in the league think Josh Allen has caught Patrick Mahomes", per PFT

Logic

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/22/some-in-the-league-think-josh-allen-has-caught-patrick-mahomes/

Most would say that Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes currently is the best in the game. Some who know the game and who study it carefully are wondering whether Bills quarterback Josh Allen has caught up with Mahomes.

Simms and I separately have been hearing talk along those lines based on Allen’s incredible improvement in 2020. And the point often made is this: There’s a difference when it comes to seeing Allen perform in person.

Size, speed, mobility, accuracy. Incredible velocity when he throws. Uncanny ability to sprint one way and throw the other.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/22/some-in-the-league-think-josh-allen-has-caught-patrick-mahomes/

Most would say that Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes currently is the best in the game. Some who know the game and who study it carefully are wondering whether Bills quarterback Josh Allen has caught up with Mahomes.

Simms and I separately have been hearing talk along those lines based on Allen’s incredible improvement in 2020. And the point often made is this: There’s a difference when it comes to seeing Allen perform in person.

Size, speed, mobility, accuracy. Incredible velocity when he throws. Uncanny ability to sprint one way and throw the other.

A lot of this stuff is hyperbole to try and fill time.   To "catch" Mahomes, Josh is going to have to show this wasnt a one year wonder type of thing.  He will also need a ring and an MVP, which is easier said than done.   Beat the Chiefs this weekend and you can start to talk about it, but before then I dont think this should even be a discussion.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Disagree 5
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

A lot of this stuff is hyperbole to try and fill time.   To "catch" Mahomes, Josh is going to have to show this wasnt a one year wonder type of thing.  He will also need a ring and an MVP, which is easier said than done.   Beat the Chiefs this weekend and you can start to talk about it, but before then I dont think this should even be a discussion.

Get used to it

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I hear what you're saying, but...

Wins are not a QB stat.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Mahomes completion percentage is less than Allen's so he has to work on his accuracy issues to catch Allen 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 25
  • Awesome! (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

Oh it's definitely a discussion but I don't disagree about Josh having another season like this being necessary to confirm it.  

The goal posts have certainly moved since 2018 when it comes to evaluating Allen. 

2018 Draft/Rookie Season:  

He's going to be a bust.  Should have took Lamar or Rosen 

2019:

Where are the 300 yard games?  Too many turnovers but better sure.  Still not enough points.  

2020:

Ok he very well may have caught Mahomes and he's going to finish 2nd in MVP voting but can he do this again??  Is this sustainable?  

Mahomes sits his whole rookie year 2017.....he has this kind of season in 2018 and we were crowning him then.  Which is fine.  

Just like it's fine to say right now Allen might be just as good.  

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Is this a hot take? Hasselbeck has been saying this for months 

It may be a popular take among Bills fans, but not so much among the national media. There may be one or two out there, like Hasselbeck, but I would venture to guess that the vast majority of national media and NFL fans would find this to be a controversial or laughable take.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Big Blitz said:

The difference between the 2 is Travis Kelce.  

And, I would say, Andy Reid.

I love Daboll. He's awesome. But Andy Reid has a long, consistent, unimpeachable history of excellence as an offensive mind in this league. Unlike Daboll, who has been really good for one or two seasons now, Reid's offenses have been changing with the times and have been good for over 20 years.

• Like (+1) 9

15 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I get that, not if, but when Allen gets a Super Bowl ring he will then be "caught up" with PM in that particular regard. To address the bold, speaking for myself, I am very, VERY confident this is not a one year wonder for Josh Allen.

I mean all he needed from the get was some reliable weapons. Rookie year he had nothing to work with. Worst WR core in the NFL. 2nd year they managed to get him Beasley and Brown. Big help and big improvement. This year add Diggs to that WR core and you have got major toys to play with.

As long as they keep good, reliable WR's on the roster, Allen will continue to break records and will win a Championship sooner or later.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he has played every bit as well as Mahomes in 2020. 

To some he will need the Superbowl ring to "catch" him. 

Beating Mahomes straight up on Sunday would go a long way too!

• Like (+1) 6

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

And, I would say, Andy Reid.

I love Daboll. He's awesome. But Andy Reid has a long, consistent, unimpeachable history of excellence as an offensive mind in this league. Unlike Daboll, who has been really good for one or two seasons now, Reid's offenses have been changing with the times and have been good for over 20 years.

Correct, and that's obviously a big part of why he is such a good coach and has been successful everywhere he's been. 

• Like (+1) 1