Steelers signing Dwayne Haskins

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Tomlin's not exactly known for reigning in disciplinary problems, is he? At least per some of their alumni...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/04/terry-bradshaw-mike-tomlin-is-not-my-kind-of-coach/

Meh I think that’s gotta be more on the player. Good place for him to show he’s willing to do what it takes to be an NFL QB

Just now, Solomon Grundy said:

I remember when people were up in arms because the Bills passed on Rudolph?

That’s right.  If the trade up cost to get Rosen or the high risk Allen would be too high why not just draft Rudolph late in the first or early in the second. In many ways we was a more proven prospect than Allen anyway.  

I mean someone is going to sign him, he was a highly regarded prospect and highly drafted prospect 2 years ago.  Steelers are a good landing spot for him with the talent there on the staff and field.  If he can't develop there, he probably wont develop at all though, so at least he landed in a place that gives him his best chance to succeed.  

As for the Steelers, a free look at a recent highly drafted QB is a no brainer for them.  Even if he doesn't develop enough to validate starting, he could still push to win the backup job as well.  

22 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Have him sit behind Ben for a year, who went through his own share of poor decisions and issues as a young player and could provide some guidance.

I do believe this can work out well for both parties.... 

Dwayne needs to be at a place that actually wants him. He needs to keep his head down and just work. He could be successful in the right situation. But he has to make the most of this chance. 

Most of the off the field nonsense goes away as you get older.  That's just the maturation process w most of us, football players or not.  But what is key is whether Dwayne Haskins can play a lick or not.  He was overdrafted.  But what he can do over the next few years on the football field is what matters.  If he can play, he will get a shot.  If he can't, it doesn't matter if he is Mother Teresa off the field.  He will have to find another profession.  

38 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Good, i hope they [aid him big time guaranteed money.

So they now have an over the hills QB and a super young QB that was fired by the Football team.

The Steelers are going to enter a world of hurt for a few years. They can sit back and watch Lamar Jackson, Joe Burrow and the punk Baker Mayfield dominate their division for the next decade.

My guess is he's getting the league minimum and its offset against his rookie deal.  So he isn't making a dollar more than he did before.

17 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I believe he & Josh Rosen are both a total waste of a team's time.  When a 1st round QB is waived before his 3rd season there's no way he turns it around.  These guys get cut for a reason.  You can even extend this to 2nd round QBs.  Recent examples are Christian Hackenberg who the Jets wouldn't allow on the field his 2 seasons there and Brian Brohm who was waved before his 2nd season & Russ Brandon picked him off the Packers practice squad, wasting the time of Bills coaches, players & fans.  

The most you can hope for is that they will emerge as a reliable backup. Take test run starter 2nd rounder Todd Collins of the Bills. After the Bills cut ties he became the long term backup in Washington and sat on the bench. Then a decade later he was called upon to start and miraculously led the team on a great late season run. 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If Steelers want a reclamation project, Darnold would be better for them. But would cost them something in trade, where Haskins is available right now for free, so I get it.

Darnold is several orders of magnitude better from day 1 than Haskins has ever been.  

With Haskins, there's nothing to reclaim.  He's another OSU flash in the pan that turned into an NFL dud.  He's not even a suitable backup QB.  Plus he's a next level moron.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

That’s right.  If the trade up cost to get Rosen or the high risk Allen would be too high why not just draft Rudolph late in the first or early in the second. In many ways we was a more proven prospect than Allen anyway.  

I have my share of misfires, but the most confident projection I made going into that draft was that Rudolph would not be a starting caliber QB. 

I think a lot of folks only liked him as an emotional security blanket for not being able to get their guy (due to browns and jets in top 3 picks).

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

Mason Rudolph obviously not the guy so why not kick the tires. 

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I remember when people were up in arms because the Bills passed on Rudolph?

43 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Sure sucks to be Mason Rudolph about now.

Maybe Rudolph hasn’t been given enough of a chance yet to show he’s good ?   Lol