3rd and long Defense

We have to play zone and bend don't break prevent. We have no choice based on personnel. We have no 1 tech to free up Ed or a blitzer. And as much as I love Jerry's effort, we have no elite pass rushers. Our gameplan for Lamar was brilliant. We for the most part kept him in that pocket. We sacked/pressured him 5x more than Rivers. I think Leslie & Sean will dial up a few more blitzes than normal. But we will remain in "bend don't break" mode. Add Star next year and a better DE and that changes. 

13 minutes ago, Ecmic82 said:

Teams are something like 34% on 3rd and more-than-10 against the Bills.

Take out the Jets and Broncos, and teams are over 40% on 3rd and more-than-10 against Buffalo.

that seems... not good. That’s league average across all third downs.

Cover 2 is usually preferred in third and long.  2 backers and NB inside and 2 CBs on the boundaries.  But its a read play - sometimes the boundary guys play deep and it fleshes out more like quarters.  the olb and nb then cover the boundaries. 

You can both limit big plays and underneath depending on the route concept.  And there's nothing you can do pre-snap to flesh out what the corners do - it happens as the play is happening.  You can also position the nickel and LBs on the LOS to give a blitz look, and then rotate into a complete cover 2 look.  

At the same time - buffalo might be forced to play a bit more man in this one.  QBs who can buy time effectively are nightmares for a zone defense.  

10 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We have to play zone and bend don't break prevent. We have no choice based on personnel. We have no 1 tech to free up Ed or a blitzer. And as much as I love Jerry's effort, we have no elite pass rushers. Our gameplan for Lamar was brilliant. We for the most part kept him in that pocket. We sacked/pressured him 5x more than Rivers. I think Leslie & Sean will dial up a few more blitzes than normal. But we will remain in "bend don't break" mode. Add Star next year and a better DE and that changes. 

Hopefully Patrick's foot is still bothering him. As one of the things that is a key to his success, is like Josh, that he can move away from rushers and make a long pass downfield. If we can keep him in the pocket and collapse it quickly he won't be able to make big plays downfield. 

Edited by The Jokeman

To take some stats into account. The bills also completed about 35% of their chances on 3rd and longs 

Football players are paid to play, and coaches are paid to draw a play that will work 

The league average Converting third and long this year was 20%. The bills were worse than average but not some statistical outlier

34% is worse than average but not a crazy statistical outlier. We have four years of our defense on film

I am sorry but teams seem to know what we are going to do in third and long situations. The defense have to win on first down this week to get KC in long 2nd and 3rd down situations. Then Leslie and Sean has to send pressure to get the ball out of Mahomes hand quickly. I expect a lot man to man this week. Tre White need to earn that contract on SUNDAY

7 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

How do you think the Browns feel knowing that they let a 50 year old back-up QB that nobody knew was still in the league run for a 3rd and 15 and prevent an AFC Championship of their own....

They feel terrible about their scouting department who did not even know who Chiefs' backup QB.

And they had amazingly poor math skills.

9 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Depending on where on the field, 3rd and long can also be a time to go long... not worrying necessarily about an interception cuz it would be just like a punt. So in preventing that scenario, the defense is playing more of a "prevent" defense... allowing them some of yardage to gain, but hopefully stopping them short. Sometimes the offense makes a play and get the 1st. It's frustrating for sure, but they don't score. The alternative ("regular" defense) opens up more possibilities of a deep play when a team is somewhat desperate in a 3rd and long situation.

It also helps kill the clock.

9 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Depending on where on the field, 3rd and long can also be a time to go long... not worrying necessarily about an interception cuz it would be just like a punt. So in preventing that scenario, the defense is playing more of a "prevent" defense... allowing them some of yardage to gain, but hopefully stopping them short. Sometimes the offense makes a play and get the 1st. It's frustrating for sure, but they don't score. The alternative ("regular" defense) opens up more possibilities of a deep play when a team is somewhat desperate in a 3rd and long situation.

I look at it like the Hail Mary - you don’t want to be 100% predictable but pressure is your friend, and if you don’t have to defend the first 5-10 yards underneath you can still have great coverage while firing a bullet at the qb

i don’t blitz 100% there but overloading a spot on the line would be my tactic more often then not