Family and Football- Jeremy White Column

Didnt see this posted when I searched for it.  Mods please delete if this is a repost.

Seen  alot of really cool stories about Bills fans and family or friends they've lost prior to the playoff run.   Here is Jeremy White's very nice read about his mother.

Family and Football

Sure it’s sports, but it’s so much more, right?

Everywhere we turn we’re hearing stories of "Bills Mafia" and the family feel that this fanbase shares so strongly.

So here’s my story...

Saturday will mark the first complete year of my life, without my mother, Marianne. On Jan. 23, 2020, she was killed suddenly, in a car accident.

The days that followed were a complete whirlwind. The shock of the sudden loss, the daily visits to an ICU in Rochester to visit her partner, Paul, the passenger in her car that survived, planning a funeral, and... I mean... so, so much.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

The loss of my Mom in 2002 was beyond words.  To this day I still miss talking to her about football and life.  God bless....and GO BILLS!

My father was a Raiders fan, but he taught me everything he knew about football.  Can still remember sitting in a car with him waiting for my Mom to get done grocery shopping, and him telling me stories about Jack Tatum.   We watched Bills game together every Sunday because he couldnt get Raiders games locally then.   I grew into a huge Bills fan at a young age.   Vividly remember watching 51-3 with him, the phone ringing every time the Bills scored, his friends on the other end giving him crap about the Raiders losing so badly.    I think I've mentioned it here before, but my Dad passed away when I was 10.   He coached my little league sports, played basketball with me every chance he got, and to this day is one of the best friends I've ever had in my life.

Had my Mom, Sister, Brother and their families over for the Colts game.   We had an amazing time cheering on the Bills, halfway through the game my Mom said "Your Dad would have loved this!"   The Bills have become one of the ties that binds my family together and I am so thankful for this year, and the memories it has helped to make. 

Jeremy and Howard were taking about the article this morning, and mentioned a tweet he got in response to it from a local fan "When my Dad was in Hospice one of the last conversations we had was about whether Josh was going to be a franchise QB or not.   Thats how much we all love Bills football"  the guy's brother chimed in "Thank God Dad was wrong lol!" 

For the more sentimental among us check out Lieutenant Colonel Patrick Miller's tweet about Bills Fans who are no longer with us.  All of us have one.

Patrick Miller Tweet on Bills Fans We are Missing This Year

This reminds me of a scene in the show "New Girl", where one of the main male characters (Nick) is dating Zooey Deschanel's character. 

He is a huge Chicago Bulls fan. 

She tries to befriend his best friend, who is a Pistons fan, by becoming a Pistons fan, and doesn't understand why Nick is so upset by it.  

Eventually, after a few comedic scenes, there's a scene where Nick tells her that the Chicago Bulls represent who he is, and where he's from and is basically his entire relationship with his father.

It's a minor scene, in a comedy nonetheless, but it's what I point to whenever I tell someone, typically a woman I'm dating, how important the Bills are to me.. and what they represent.  

Edited by SCBills

I’m in my early forties.  Been going to games with my dad as STHs since I was six years old.  Skipped the playoffs because of COVID concerns.  When the fan was shown on the broadcast bawling his eyes out after the Indy game, I got it.  Told my mom that I would have been doing the same thing if I was there without my dad.  Jeremy White’s piece was beautiful.  I haven’t lived it, but I understand it.  I hope he finds comfort, peace, and joy in this weekend’s game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

This reminds me of a scene in the show "New Girl", where one of the main male characters (Nick) is dating Zooey Deschanel's character. 

He is a huge Chicago Bulls fan. 

She tries to befriend his best friend, who is a Pistons fan, by becoming a Pistons fan, and doesn't understand why Nick is so upset by it.  

Eventually, after a few comedic scenes, there's a scene where Nick tells her that the Chicago Bulls represent who he is, and where he's from and is basically his entire relationship with his father (who has since passed). 

It's a minor scene, in a comedy nonetheless, but it's what I point to whenever I tell someone, typically a woman I'm dating, how important the Bills are to me.. and what they represent.  

Good representation of a team being ingrained in your actual being.   I've tried to find a team in hockey, basketball, and baseball but while I watch the games its not the way it is with the Bills.   They arent part of my existence in the same way.  

4 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I’m in my early forties.  Been going to games with my dad as STHs since I was six years old.  Skipped the playoffs because of COVID concerns.  When the fan was shown on the broadcast bawling his eyes out after the Indy game, I got it.  Told my mom that I would have been doing the same thing if I was there without my dad.  Jeremy White’s piece was beautiful.  I haven’t lived it, but I understand it.  I hope he finds comfort, peace, and joy in this weekend’s game. 

No shame in shedding a few tears.  Just blame it on the cold freezing your eyeballs to the point where all the water leaks out. 

• Like (+1) 1