Doug Marrone Coming To Alabama As Offensive Line Coach.....

Bill from NYC

I'm not surprised, whereas coach after coach comes to Alabama to boost or rebuild their careers, and it works. 

My guess is that Doug wants to get back into college football as a head coach. If so, Alabama could be a great stepping stone. They lost 3 OL starters but there is a lot of talent coming back, to include the top 2 recruits at offensive tackle. 

It will be interesting to see if he gets along with Saban, but my guess is that he will. He has to know what he is stepping into.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2021/01/what-alabama-is-getting-in-offensive-line-coach-doug-marrone.html

Edited by Bill from NYC

Surprised Syracuse wasn't interested in bringing him back.    As much as I cant stand what he did to the Bills I have to give the guy credit for still wanting to work.   Made close to 30 million dollars in his time in the NFL, not counting what he made in college.   Now he wants to go work for Saban for between 600 and 800k a year.   If I am a 57 year old guy, with that much money sitting in the bank, and I know I am below average at my job, I probably call it a day.  Not St. Doug!

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Surprised Syracuse wasn't interested in bringing him back.    As much as I cant stand what he did to the Bills I have to give the guy credit for still wanting to work.   Made close to 30 million dollars in his time in the NFL, not counting what he made in college.   Now he wants to go work for Saban for between 600 and 800k a year.   If I am a 57 year old guy, with that much money sitting in the bank, and I know I am below average at my job, I probably call it a day.  Not St. Doug!

I remember thinking (and posting) the opinion that he only got the Bills job because he was a Syracuse crony of Brandon. As i recall he was smart enough to bench EJ, and I respect him for that.

He probably wants to get back as a college head coach but according to what I read, it is now a tougher job than being an NFL coach because of all the recruiting and dealing with boosters. 

At least he left the Jags with Trevor Lawrence. :) 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

I live in south Alabama and I can say as a life long Tide fan I'm less than pleased with the hire. 

It will work because Saban runs the show and everyone knows that walking in the door, I just don't care for O'Brian and Marrone. 

And yes they have a colossal OL recruiting class coming in.

Yeah, they have (2) 5 star recruits coming in, along with 3 starters (if you count Owen) and plenty of guys behind them. I worry about the RB situation, and hope that Cam Wheaton doesn't bolt for Texas. I don't think that he will due to the good situation at OL, but he would face softer defenses at Texas.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.