St. Doug has fallen...

aceman_16

10 hours ago, DJB said:

I usually don't loathe or hate ex coaches, not even upset with Rex...but Doug Marrone can kiss my butt. 

Can't stand that guy and I wish him nothing but football failures the rest of his career. 

Two other guys I put up there in the same grouping for similar type reasons are:

Dominik Hasek  Many players in sports demand to be traded, and many will also dictate the teams they will only go too.  But don't don't recall a player ever telling the team who he's demanding they trade him and to a specific team, but then telling said team, "You better not ask for too much in return as I don't want you weakening the Red wings so that I can't win the Stanley Cup!"

2nd one, as a Knick's fan, Pat Riley.  Many coaches will mortgage the future to win now as he did.  He traded many a draft pick and young players for older guys with a year or two left max.  They came close a couple times to winning ti all, but never quite made it thanks to Reggie Miller and Jordan.  But then once he knew the team was over the hill and wasn't going to be able to win the following season, he was owed a bonus of a few million on the upcoming July 1st.  The Knick's were one day late in paying it so he claimed they voided the contract and he walked away to Miami and the league ruled in his favor.

Those two events, plus Marrone dumping the Bills has left me rooting for failure from them three.  So far only one has worked out pretty well.

6 minutes ago, benderbender said:

Would it help any to know that Marrone also wears his wedding band during football games? 

That condition might be written into the prenup by Mrs. M. as a hammer over Mr. Personality's head.  One screw up and he'll also be working the 3-11 assistant manager gig at the Tuscaloosa Kwik-E-Mart.

5 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I don't have anything against Marrone.

He had a contractual benefit that he used.  He wanted the organization to join the 21st century and be rid of the clowns in brandon and whaley.  He was right

So far he's been a quitter and a loser who has made millions doing so. I do not wish him well as he's set for life by setting bad examples, at least in character but solid examples of how to scam your way to big money.

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

That's what you get when you let Russ Brandon, Buddy Nix and Doug Whaley lead a "no stone unturned" search for a Coach that lasted 5 days in Arizona. 

I am happy to have the "Promote from Within" culture gone, hopefully never coming back. 

Amen to that, brother!

2 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

So far he's been a quitter and a loser who has made millions doing so. I do not wish him well as he's set for life by setting bad examples, at least in character but solid examples of how to scam your way to big money.

Regardless of where we stand on the decisions Marrone has made, I think we all can agree that he was the exact opposite of the "dynamic" hire that Russ Brandon said he was. 

Instead, he still talks about punting, and playing field position. The importance of running the ball and bad weather. 

When Marrone punted on 4th-5 from the Pittsburgh 36 yard line down by 2 scores in the 4th quarter with a 3-6 record it showed his DNA. He was another in a long line of Bills coaches that played for close, low scoring, running and defensive games, trying to win with late Field Goals. 

8 hours ago, eball said:

Man, you got that right. It’s amazing. I mean, his greatest claim to fame is reaching one AFC Championship game (and blowing it) and winning the Pinstripe Bowl. Oh well. I don’t despise Saint Doug any more; it’s easy to forgive and forget now that we are where we are. 

This ^^

Would we be here if he never quit on us? Who knows, but maybe not. McDermott is a darn good football coach.

It worked out in the end. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

I just had to smile to myself when I read that the mighty St Doug Marrone went from saving Syracuse, then Buffalo then the Jaguars just to attempt his magic for Nick Saban's Tide as a position coach. I am sure he will perform wonders and will single handedly bring Alabama back to national prominence!

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/reports-former-jaguars-hc-doug-marrone-to-join-nick-sabans-alabama-staff

Well he was hired by the Jags as a position coach as well...

I give him credit--he's parlayed his very mediocre talent with mediocre results everywhere into a career that has lasted much longer than it should have.  

"Saved Syracuse"?   A couple (not even back to back) 8-5 seasons and 2 corresponding Loser Bowl appearances.  Syracuse football is still but a skid mark on the tighty whities of the ACC

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well he was hired by the Jags as a position coach as well...

I give him credit--he's parlayed his very mediocre talent with mediocre results everywhere into a career that has lasted much longer than it should have.  

"Saved Syracuse"?   A couple (not even back to back) 8-5 seasons and 2 corresponding Loser Bowl appearances.  Syracuse football is still but a skid mark on the tighty whities of the ACC

Marrone is not a good NFL coach, and an average college coach. He never deserved the savior of Syracuse kudos, but I will say that I disagree on one thing. Syracuse football was a skid mark on the ACC with Marrone, since Marrone that program is a far bigger stain than just a skid mark. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I actually don’t understand why everyone is so salty we lost a coach they all agree is terrible. If you don’t like his personality that’s cool, but this entire franchise was a joke during those years. We weren’t able or willing to attract anyone decent, so we got a guy like Marrone. It all worked out really well in the end. This franchise is the only one to blame for Marrone ever becoming an NFL head coach. 

Edited by SirAndrew