St. Doug has fallen...

aceman_16

It’s really not Marrones fault as they just lost Ralph, probably wasn’t sure about the Pegulas as they I believe bought and had ratified by the league the purchase that year.  

I don’t like him as a coach as he was way too predictable and was never going to bring us to a McD type team.  He was dealing with Whaley and the womanizer.  He was a line coach for 10 years and thought he was close to Saban, so it makes sense.  He wasn’t going anywhere with the Jags.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, eball said:

To his credit, it took one to know one. 

I wasn't a big fan of him as the coach.  In the short term, they would have possibly broken thr drought sooner, and we would have been spared the Rex Ryan thing... but the bills would never have gotten McDermott and beane

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

I don't have anything against Marrone.

He had a contractual benefit that he used.  He wanted the organization to join the 21st century and be rid of the clowns in brandon and whaley.  He was right

Completely agree.   Marrone called B-llSh-t on the situation, got no answer and pulled the ripcord and got out of disfunction city.   My respect for him went up a few notches for having the brains to see the disfunction and put the opt out clause in his contract.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Hardly a fall🤣🤣

A position coach in college is definitely a huge fall from being an NFL head coach. You don’t go from being a college position coach to an NFL head coach again. In 2-3 years Doug will be coaching some D1 program thanks to Saban......I’ll give him that.

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What I find interesting is that Hackett was regarded (while here) as OC only in name, while Marrone was considered to be running the offense.  It was said by someone (I forget who, only that it was regarded as a believable source) that in Buffalo, Hackett would draw up innovative offensive plays that Marrone would either not put into the gameplan or refuse to call during the game.

Marrone fired Hackett mid-season in 2018, and Hackett is now the OC for the #1 scoring offense in football and playing for the NFC Championship

How 'bout that?

It doesn't really fit the narrative, but it was also pretty common knowledge that both Syracuse and Buffalo wanted Hackett canned and Marrone constantly went to bat for him.

3 hours ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

Yeah I hate Marroon as much as the next Bills fan but that's not such a bad gig he's got now.  He'll probably move up the ladder a bit over time but you could do worse than working for Saban at one of the most successful college programs in history.  Tuscaloosa is a nice little town as well.  We have friends there.  (the husband is a gymnastics coach from Orchard Park ironically enough and I think his brother was at the Ravens game).  

I'm a "big picture" guy so I view the whole Marrone thing as a huge blessing.  IMO for the Buffalo Bills specifically, I don't think there could have been a better hire than McDermott.  The right guy at the right time.  We had to endure the Marrone and Rex Ryan "eras" first, but that's how fate laid it out for us.  Kinda like my life - I have a wonderful wife and two amazing kids now but I had to go through many, many terrible relationships to get here (you know the kind where you wake up in a mental ward somewhere one day).  Yet I wouldn't change a thing because that would change where I am today and I wouldn't give that up for anything.  Same with the Bills now.  I don't care if people don't agree with my opinion about McD.  The grass is always greener, right?  Well, three playoff appearances in four years, after 17 long seasons without a single playoff appearance, is pretty damn good to me. 

So, in conclusion......best of luck to you, "St. Doug" (haha - still makes me chuckle).  Your decision to jump ship when the going got tough was the best thing you ever did for the Buffalo Bills organization.  Appreciate ya!

I think you should start posting in some Sabres forums.  They need your perspective.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Go to Alabama?

Worked fairly well for Daboll.

Daboll, and Kiffin, and Sark, and every other coach who goes there. Landing on the staff of the best/most legendary college program is hardly a fall and already a bigger success than most of us here will achieve in our careers.