St. Doug has fallen...

aceman_16

I just had to smile to myself when I read that the mighty St Doug Marrone went from saving Syracuse, then Buffalo then the Jaguars just to attempt his magic for Nick Saban's Tide as a position coach. I am sure he will perform wonders and will single handedly bring Alabama back to national prominence!

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/reports-former-jaguars-hc-doug-marrone-to-join-nick-sabans-alabama-staff

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I usually don't loathe or hate ex coaches, not even upset with Rex...but Doug Marrone can kiss my butt. 

Can't stand that guy and I wish him nothing but football failures the rest of his career. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

I just had to smile to myself when I read that the mighty St Doug Marrone went from saving Syracuse, then Buffalo then the Jaguars just to attempt his magic for Nick Saban's Tide as a position coach. I am sure he will perform wonders and will single handedly bring Alabama back to national prominence!

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/reports-former-jaguars-hc-doug-marrone-to-join-nick-sabans-alabama-staff

Hardly a fall🤣🤣

Isn't Bama where fired football coaches go to rehab their careers? Probably his smartest play, to be honest. I don't wish him well, exactly, but I've had conflicting experiences/encounters with the man. I've seen him firsthand be reserved and dignified in the face of criticism, and I've also seen him be a bloviating blowhard.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, aceman_16 said:

What I find interesting is that Hackett was regarded (while here) as OC only in name, while Marrone was considered to be running the offense.  It was said by someone (I forget who, only that it was regarded as a believable source) that in Buffalo, Hackett would draw up innovative offensive plays that Marrone would either not put into the gameplan or refuse to call during the game.

Marrone fired Hackett mid-season in 2018, and Hackett is now the OC for the #1 scoring offense in football and playing for the NFC Championship

How 'bout that?

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What I find interesting is that Hackett was regarded (while here) as OC only in name, while Marrone was considered to be running the offense.  It was said by someone (I forget who, only that it was regarded as a believable source) that in Buffalo, Hackett would draw up innovative offensive plays that Marrone would either not put into the gameplan or refuse to call during the game.

Marrone fired Hackett mid-season in 2018, and Hackett is now the OC for the #1 scoring offense in football and playing for the NFC Championship

How 'bout that?

Hackett's energy was insane. The ole run Spiller till he pukes and taps out kind of comment. He was something and I liked the kid. Karmas a thing!

• Like (+1) 1

Someone should have told Saban how horrible our offensive line was when he was here. The line was much better before he got here and then quickly got better after he left, with some of the same guys on the line through it all.

My biggest issue with him was not that he opted out and left (I was happy about that) but that the TWO things he was supposed to bring to this team, good oline coaching and good offense, were the two biggest weaknesses of the team. Plus he just seemed like an idiot.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How 'bout that?

Does Hackett get to go to any of a number of campus cafeterias, show his coach card, and eat free?  Meanwhile, Hackett is in the drive through at McDonalds, fishing coins out of the cup holder.  Sometimes you have to look at the big picture. 🤔

😁

Yeah I hate Marroon as much as the next Bills fan but that's not such a bad gig he's got now.  He'll probably move up the ladder a bit over time but you could do worse than working for Saban at one of the most successful college programs in history.  Tuscaloosa is a nice little town as well.  We have friends there.  (the husband is a gymnastics coach from Orchard Park ironically enough and I think his brother was at the Ravens game).  

I'm a "big picture" guy so I view the whole Marrone thing as a huge blessing.  IMO for the Buffalo Bills specifically, I don't think there could have been a better hire than McDermott.  The right guy at the right time.  We had to endure the Marrone and Rex Ryan "eras" first, but that's how fate laid it out for us.  Kinda like my life - I have a wonderful wife and two amazing kids now but I had to go through many, many terrible relationships to get here (you know the kind where you wake up in a mental ward somewhere one day).  Yet I wouldn't change a thing because that would change where I am today and I wouldn't give that up for anything.  Same with the Bills now.  I don't care if people don't agree with my opinion about McD.  The grass is always greener, right?  Well, three playoff appearances in four years, after 17 long seasons without a single playoff appearance, is pretty damn good to me. 

So, in conclusion......best of luck to you, "St. Doug" (haha - still makes me chuckle).  Your decision to jump ship when the going got tough was the best thing you ever did for the Buffalo Bills organization.  Appreciate ya!

Edited by Apocalypse Nuts
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, mannc said:

The joke’s on us...This clown has made tens of millions of dollars in this game, despite being unable to coach his way out of a wet paper bag...

Man, you got that right. It’s amazing. I mean, his greatest claim to fame is reaching one AFC Championship game (and blowing it) and winning the Pinstripe Bowl. Oh well. I don’t despise Saint Doug any more; it’s easy to forgive and forget now that we are where we are. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, eball said:

Man, you got that right. It’s amazing. I mean, his greatest claim to fame is reaching one AFC Championship game (and blowing it) and winning the Pinstripe Bowl. Oh well. I don’t despise Saint Doug any more; it’s easy to forgive and forget now that we are where we are. 

I'll never understand how he thought turning a couple of less-than-mediocre football teams at Syracuse and Buffalo into slight-above-mediocre football teams earned him the right to bestow the title "St. Doug" upon himself.  Hilarious!  How many playoff appearances did you get the Bills to, Dougey?   ZERO!  hahahaha

Edited by Apocalypse Nuts