Justin Tucker's first missed FG actually broke the plane, and counted as unsuccessful correctly

syhuang

It's always nice to learn something new about NFL rules. Tucker's first FG hit the left upright, crossed the plane, but returned back through the goalposts, which according to NFL rules is still counted as unsuccessful. The spin on the ball does tricky things.

---------------------------------------

Justin Tucker's first missed FG vs. Bills actually went in - before it didn't

Using advanced technology to track the football, Lopez found that on Tucker's first miss, the 41-yard double doink, that the ball actually crossed over the bottom goalpost before moving back towards the right upright and eventually hitting it.

So, why didn't it count?

In order for the try to be successful, the entire football must pass through the vertical plane between the two uprights. If the ball does so, but then returns through the goalposts without hitting another object, person or the ground, the try is unsuccessful, according to the NFL's rulebook.

Edited by syhuang
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

• syhuang changed the title to Justin Tucker's first missed FG actually broke the plane, and counted as unsuccessful correctly

Using my advanced technology to track the football (my eyeballs) the ball boinked off the upright and came back out to the front of the goal posts into the end zone.  

Not sure where this new "technology" is coming from.  My guess is it's from Justin Tucker's mother.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

No offense, but I think who ever made this graph might just be making stuff up.  Did it actually cross the plane? This "graph" says it did. But it also shows that the other field goal didn't even hit the cross bar. Just sayin'.

Edit: not to mention, the purple line in each graph is different.

Edited by costrovs
add more
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

So, if the ball does not go through the goal posts it doesn't count. News breaking stuff right there.

Or......if it does go thru but gets spit back out! The Football Gods were having NONE OF THAT! 

On to Kansas City.......

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, syhuang said:

It's always nice to learn something new about NFL rules. Tucker's first FG hit the left upright, crossed the plane, but returned back through the goalposts, which according to NFL rules is still counted as unsuccessful. The spin on the ball does tricky things.

---------------------------------------

Justin Tucker's first missed FG vs. Bills actually went in - before it didn't

Using advanced technology to track the football, Lopez found that on Tucker's first miss, the 41-yard double doink, that the ball actually crossed over the bottom goalpost before moving back towards the right upright and eventually hitting it.

So, why didn't it count?

In order for the try to be successful, the entire football must pass through the vertical plane between the two uprights. If the ball does so, but then returns through the goalposts without hitting another object, person or the ground, the try is unsuccessful, according to the NFL's rulebook.

From the TV broadcast, it looked like he hit the upright and doinked it through.  So glad that he missed 

30 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

So, if the ball does not go through the goal posts it doesn't count. News breaking stuff right there.

i get your snark, but i think the upshot is that the ball has to end up through the goal posts. 

Unless interfered with by a player, or hitting the ground beyond the posts and boinking back thru, or something like lightning hitting it or something.