ESPN Joins The Eternal Debate

dorquemada

7 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Some trades work out for both teams.  The Vikings got a great rookie WR in Jefferson and a bunch of additional picks for a disgruntled Diggs who wasn't going to reach his ceiling in Minnesota.  The Bills got the superstar WR they desperately needed, who has helped their QB become a MVP candidate and the team become an offensive juggernaut.

The Chiefs clearly did great in the Mahomes trade.  They have MVP-caliber franchise QB who has led their team to a Super Bowl win and has them in contention for the 3rd season in a row.  The Bills also made out well - they ended up with a MVP-caliber franchise QB who has the the team in contention who is a perfect cultural fit for the team and the city, an All-Pro caliber CB who is also cultural fit, and ancillary pieces (Neal, and whatever other draft capital we may or may not have related to Zay Jones and/or Dawkins).  Had Allen not developed, we'd be looking at this differently, but he has and the Bills are in fine shape.

And Mahomes might not have been an MVP candidate as early as he was had he been playing with the likes of Zay Jones and Andre Holmes as his WR corps.  I suspect he'd be better with the likes of Diggs, Beasley and Brown, as has Allen.  Imagine how much better Allen would be if he had Travis Kelce to throw to....

Sunday should be fun! 

The Bills basically got Tre and Edumonds for Mahomes along with ancillary draft capital. Both guys (although Edumonds a bit less so) are foundational pieces to the defense. Now even two All-Pro (and Edumonds isn't all Pro yet) defenders wouldn't be worth a Mahomes. But the Bills made the right call the year after and on the QB so now you have the QB and the defensive pieces.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

I think most of their debates are now focused on "who do we fire, and how do we work MORE politics/social issues into our shows"

The irony being, the reason they have to focus on who to fire, is because they continue to work their political and social views into the shows.

• Like (+1) 2

of course Mahomes is great. Of course Allen is great. The results mean we no longer have to justify our actions. We have the best front office in football. Yes, I'm still pinching myself at how fast this is all happening. This off season will be about staying on top, not climbing to respectability. We are an elite organization with a very progressive owner

5 hours ago, JohnNord said:

To me, this is such a flawed “debate.” Only because we have no idea whether Mahomes is the same player in Buffalo that he became in KC.  If you could guarantee Mahomes is the same exact QB then of course, they’d take him.  He’d probably be the #1 pick.  

Mahomes become that starter in KC with all-pro caliber players in Kelce and Hill.

In Buffalo he would have had an over weight Kelvin Benjamin, Andre Holmes, Charles Clay, Robert Foster and Zay Jones. I'm going to go out on a limb and say no. Mahomes would not have been the same player in Buffalo. He would be in a similar situation as Allen where is play gradually got better as the roster got better. 

Look at Allen as a perfect example too. Allen was already trending in the right direction in terms of his growth over his first two year but once we got him a legitimate receiver in Diggs he became a top three QB in the league. And that is with one all-pro caliber receiver. Mahomes has been playing with two all-pro receivers his entire career. And yes, I know Beasley made second team all-pro this year with one vote from Peter King (because King was looking at it from a slot receiver perspective) but I think the point still stands. Kelce and Hill is basically the equivalent of having two receivers the same caliber of Diggs. And Mahomes has had them since day one. Allen's only had Diggs this year. 

6 hours ago, StHustle said:

How? It can't possibly be no seeing that, as of right now, we passed on a guy that ended up NFL MVP his first season starting then went and won a superbowl the next season.

Mahomes has played his entire career with not one but two first team all pro talent receiving threats. If he was drafted by the Bills he would have been slinging the ball to Kelvin Benjamin, Andre Holmes, Zay Jones, Robert Foster and Charles Clay. How many of those dudes are even on rosters still let alone starting? Do you think he is a league MVP his first year starting throwing to those receivers?

Allen's had exactly one season with a first team all pro caliber receiver. And he put up an MVP worthy season. The fact that he won't win the award doesn't take away from the fact that his stats this year are good enough to probably win the award perhaps 5 out of the last 10 seasons. 

So again, the very first year Allen gets one super star receiving threat (Mahomes has always had two) he basically becomes Mahomes and puts up Mahomes numbers. Is that just a coincidence? And that is with just one super star receiver to Mahomes two.

And Kelce was already an all-pro tight end before Mahomes became the starter in KC. And Tyreek Hill, though not an all-pro had a pro-bowl year before Mahomes became the starter and it was clear he was on his way to becoming elite before Mahomes took over. 

Mahomes entered into the perfect situation in Kansas City. A team that was on the upswing and had already put together a string of four consecutive winning seasons under Andy Reid. And in his first season he was able to sit on the bench and watch the Alex Smith have the best year of his career while the Chiefs put together their 5th consecutive winning season. Mahomes took the team over from a QB that had a career year. Smith had a career year because the talent on that team was finally breaking out. 

The situation in Buffalo basically would have been a complete 180 had Mahomes been drafted by the Bills.

Am I a biased Bills fans? Yes. But I also think I've laid out a heck of an argument as to why it's not a slam-dunk case that the Bills made a mistake in passing on Mahomes. 

4 hours ago, Doc said:

You should have posted this:

image.png.535997858632a5bf3140a0fa02619388.png

You'll have to excuse Egg Man. His heart is larger than his brain. 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

You mean Watson right?

We all had Watson higher on our board, and would have picked Watson at #10, and the debate would have been if why we passed on Mahomes who slid to the Texans.

Otherwise we are doing taking Brady in the 5th round or Aaron Rodgers in the first 24 picks.

I don't think Mahomes was the pick that day if we didn't trade down. Tip of the cap to the Chiefs to identify Mahomes and trade up to get him, but I don't think trading down was Tre vs Mahomes, and more than wondering why the Bears gave up a third and fourth to move up one spot to not take Mahomes...

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, eball said:

I think the question has been put to rest already, although I understand if some may disagree.

I think until Josh wins a Lombardi there will be those who still ask the what if.... and I suppose to some extent that is fair. But where the two are at this point I think it is perfectly legitimate to say you'd take Josh Allen, Tre White, Tremaine Edmunds and Siran Neal for Patrick Mahomes and a third round pick (Brandon Parker picked eventually by the Raiders) which is kinda how the whole deal worked itself out in the end.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, mannc said:

Maybe someone should ask the Bears, and Jets, and Jags, who all passed on Mahomes despite having needed a QB for decades.  And who still need a QB 4 years later.

How Ryan Pace is still in a job four years after passing on two of the top 5 Quarterbacks in the NFL for Mitch Trubisky is an absolute mystery to me. And I didn't hate Mitch at the draft I had a late 1st on him and had him above Mahomes..... but if time proves you that spectacularly wrong as a General Manager you have to expect to lose your job, surely?