ESPN Joins The Eternal Debate

dorquemada

7 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Dion Dawkins had nothing to do with the Mahomes trade.  The pick they used from the trade to move up in the 2nd round was used to select Zay Jones.  So the trade really looks like this:  

Bills trade pick 10 of 2017 draft (Mahomes) to KC & 2018 3rd rounder Bills for got Tyrod Taylor to Baltimore for White, pick used to trade up for Zay Jones who was traded for pick 145 of the 2021 draft, Edmunds & Neal.  

Incorrect.  In the trade down with KC the Bills got KC pick #91.  There was a pick package traded with the Rams so the Rams could move up that included this pick.  The pick package traded to Atlanta to move up for Dawkins included a pick from the Rams package.  

9 minutes ago, eball said:

Because the question can also be answered no.

How? It can't possibly be no seeing that, as of right now, we passed on a guy that ended up NFL MVP his first season starting then went and won a superbowl the next season.

How can one possibly say, based on the CURRENT SITUATION, that passing on a guy who is universally recognized as having GOAT potential and already has HOF accolades a few seasons into his career, was indeed NOT a mistake????

So back to the concept of this thread. Can you not agree that for it to TRULY not have been a mistake, we would need to have ended up with a QB that could produce similar results? 

If you say otherwise, then you're clearly speaking from a biased perspective which makes you a waste of time to debate with.

9 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

LOL, 😂 no, I am hardly ever serious...  But I am a big fan of science and medicine, if for no other reason that they have both made my life better, in that I am still alive, (long story) 

Go Bills!!!

It was a Christmas Vacation reference.

Got to tread so lightly in here.

Just now, I am the egg man said:

It was a Christmas Vacation reference.

Got to tread so lightly in here.

Nah, it evidently went over my head 😁

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Incorrect.  In the trade down with KC the Bills got KC pick #91.  There was a pick package traded with the Rams so the Rams could move up that included this pick.  The pick package traded to Atlanta to move up for Dawkins included a pick from the Rams package.  

We're both wrong.  We traded up not the Rams.  Pick 91 was traded to the Rams for us to move up for Zay Jones but as part of the deal we got pick 149 which was part of the Dawkins trade up.  

42 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

For what it's worth, i'm inclined to argue that the Bills did not, in fact, screw up

I'm looking for some supporting evidence this week that will help get the talking heads on board

My philosophy is "they never will be on board so ***** 'em all and don't worry about it"

39 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

This all goes back to when we traded Daryl Lamonica for Tom Flores.

Damned Straight! We should never have traded Daryl Lamonica.

58 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Dion Dawkins had nothing to do with the Mahomes trade.  The pick they used from the trade to move up in the 2nd round was used to select Zay Jones.  So the trade really looks like this:  

Bills trade pick 10 of 2017 draft (Mahomes) to KC & 2018 3rd rounder Bills for got Tyrod Taylor to Baltimore for White, pick used to trade up for Zay Jones who was traded for pick 145 of the 2021 draft, Edmunds & Neal.  

Basically:

Bills trade Mahomes & Taylor

Bills get White, Edmunds, Neal & pick 145 of this year's draft. 

Watch pick 145 be this amazing DE or TE.  This is Patrick's 2nd major concussion. Will he have the longevity of Josh remains to be seen? I love me some 17 and am happy with Tre, Tremaine and Siran. We did well.

Some trades work out for both teams.  The Vikings got a great rookie WR in Jefferson and a bunch of additional picks for a disgruntled Diggs who wasn't going to reach his ceiling in Minnesota.  The Bills got the superstar WR they desperately needed, who has helped their QB become a MVP candidate and the team become an offensive juggernaut.

The Chiefs clearly did great in the Mahomes trade.  They have MVP-caliber franchise QB who has led their team to a Super Bowl win and has them in contention for the 3rd season in a row.  The Bills also made out well - they ended up with a MVP-caliber franchise QB who has the the team in contention who is a perfect cultural fit for the team and the city, an All-Pro caliber CB who is also cultural fit, and ancillary pieces (Neal, and whatever other draft capital we may or may not have related to Zay Jones and/or Dawkins).  Had Allen not developed, we'd be looking at this differently, but he has and the Bills are in fine shape.

And Mahomes might not have been an MVP candidate as early as he was had he been playing with the likes of Zay Jones and Andre Holmes as his WR corps.  I suspect he'd be better with the likes of Diggs, Beasley and Brown, as has Allen.  Imagine how much better Allen would be if he had Travis Kelce to throw to....

Sunday should be fun! 

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dorquemada said:

Sorry in advance if this has been shared. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/35629/buffalo-bills-can-justify-trading-patrick-mahomes-pick-by-reaching-super-bowl

It's a fair article and in fact should the Bills win, we can put the question to rest forever here. 

If Josh wins a Super Bowl with the Bills regardless of how Mahomes career pans out then the Bills will not be looked at as a historic blunder. The Houston Rockets aren't looked at as having made a huge mistake drafting Hakeem over Jordan as they got two titles out of it.

The trade ended up being Mahomes for Tre White and Tremaine Edmunds(minus another pick for moving up for Edmunds).

Not Mahomes for Allen and White.

Josh Allen was selected with the Bills original draft pick after a trade up with Cinci (Cordy Glenn) and then a couple other picks in the trade-up with Tampa that were not related to the Mahomes trade.

They didn't need the Mahomes trade to get Allen.   

In virtually the same amount of regular season games played as Josh Allen(46 to 44),  Patrick Mahomes has won a Super Bowl and been a league MVP and is in his 3rd straight AFC championship game.

The comparison starts to become a contest if Allen beats Mahomes and then wins a Super Bowl..........which was really all we could have hoped for after Mahomes went off on the league in 2018 and Allen labored as a passer for two seasons.

Been saying it since 2018........the Mahomes trade is likely only not a disaster if Allen v Mahomes in championship games becomes a regular thing and the Bills get the better end of them.