Fox News becomes even less recognizable as "News"

WideNine

Fox News has doubled-down on the dumb. Ratings are down and they are getting set for a 4-year run of sensationalizing conspiracy theories with more hate and disinformation to get their viewership back up. There is a MAGA herd of hurt folks out there ripe for the pickings too.

It was already tough for real journalists to practice objective journalism on their platform where for years the actual news-worthy segments lost more and more air-time to loud -mouth opinion purveyors whose opinions were delivered as if they were actually vetted news. There are quite a few conservative journalist that I respect that have jumped ship over the years for just this reason.

I see this trend on some left-leaning sites too and it is frustrating for those that appreciate good investigative journalism. My news feeds on my phone are chuck full of opinion pieces. Too many do not differentiate those from facts or news. Kind of wish I had a better way of filtering those out I would rather get the facts and come up with my own opinions.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/fox-news-fires-a-dozen-staffers-including-political-ed-chris-stirewalt/ar-BB1cTZ8P

24 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

They're going to "both sides" all the issues to try to stay afloat. 

I actually like Wallace. He is a great interviewer and when pressed by his colleagues on who he voted for he told them that it was not their business and he votes for the man not the party. To each their own, so not trying to convince folks to feel the same way.

I do think that he is one of the last few that give them a shred of credibility and he called Trump on his Covid-19 lies during a rare interview that Trump allowed. It had him all rage-Tweeting later about how the standards had fallen at Fox... you know, because someone there told him he was making stuff up.

• Like (+1) 1

I'll admit it. I used to watch some Fox News.

I'm kind of contrarian by nature, however, so it annoys me to no end when these news outlets have their guy in power.

I watched some MSNBC when Olberman was trying to get W impeached, then avoided it when it was all praise for Obama. Likewise I couldn't stand Fox when Trump was elected and I subject myself to MSNBC, mostly just Brian Williams (who has a great dry sense of humor that overpowers the typical indignation there).

Now, I'll have to wait and see. For actual "news" I watch BBC's half hour most nights. A little outsider perspective on our crazy politics is refreshing, plus they don't ignore the rest of the world the way our main news channels do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I wish CNN and MSNBC would both do more investigative journalism. MSNBC is all politics, and with Trump gone they won’t get the ratings they have been getting. Fox is just what it is, and I don’t see changing 

I was just thinking about how people won’t wake up and check CNN or Fox News to see what stupid thing Trump did while they slept all the time. 

Like or hate Trump, he drove news ratings.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'm kind of contrarian by nature, however, so it annoys me to no end when these news outlets have their guy in power.

I watched some MSNBC when Olberman was trying to get W impeached, then avoided it when it was all praise for Obama. Likewise I couldn't stand Fox when Trump was elected and I subject myself to MSNBC, mostly just Brian Williams (who has a great dry sense of humor that overpowers the typical indignation there).

Now, I'll have to wait and see. For actual "news" I watch BBC's half hour most nights. A little outsider perspective on our crazy politics is refreshing, plus they don't ignore the rest of the world the way our main news channels do.

It would be really nice if you could find a news out let that didn't have a agenda or just reported the factual news from investigative reporters with out bias but i don't know if one exists .

Comedians too . Use to be you could watch a show and laugh like back when Carson was on or in the early days of Letterman it was great because they took us away from all the BS a little political stuff but not a lot but today "funny" has a hole new meaning and direction .

I have pretty much given up on both avenues for any entertainment or info I truly don't know how Colbert will survive now that Trump is gone that was his entire premise not that there wasn't enough ammo for him but really every show every monolog every skit - very tiring !

I use to watch him every once in a while before he got this gig and he use to be funny but since has shown he too puts his personal political views & politics as his main source of material and also when he chooses his guests so i just watch hunting shows or north woods law to escape the BS that surrounds todays programing .

Even Bill Maher had a couple of decent things to say every once in a while it wasn't a continuous bash session for every show and his show is mostly his political views ! TV sure isn't what it use to be - well nothing really is ...

Edited by T master

My favorite is Brian Williams at 11pm on MSNBC and Chris Wallace on Sunday Fox

Hannity suffers steep post-election decline: Fox News host collapses with 3-to-1 ratings loss to CNN

https://www.salon.com/2021/01/13/hannity-suffers-steep-post-election-decline-fox-news-host-collapses-with-3-to-1-ratings-loss-to-cnn_partner/

Edited by ALF

28 minutes ago, ALF said:

My favorite is Brian Williams at 11pm on MSNBC and Chris Wallace on Sunday Fox

Hannity suffers steep post-election decline: Fox News host collapses with 3-to-1 ratings loss to CNN

https://www.salon.com/2021/01/13/hannity-suffers-steep-post-election-decline-fox-news-host-collapses-with-3-to-1-ratings-loss-to-cnn_partner/

I'm a Brian Williams fan. If you've ever seen him on the late night talk shows (maybe it was Fallon?) he has is unexpectedly witty.

As far as Colbert goes: I kind of like the guy, but he's just not funny. His Bill O'Reilly schtick is what got him popular, but that's a long, long time ago. It's the kind of stuff now that doesn't really get laughs but goes for the knowing chuckle and applause - "we agree with you, Stephen!" Which is fine for people who enjoy watching other affirm their beliefs, but which isn't actually comedy.

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

As opposed to CNN and running 4 years of conspiracy theories about Trump and Russia?  I mean did you pay attention to the last four years?

This is VERY dishonest.  They reported a special counsel investigation run by a Republican referred by Trumps DOJ.  I'm not saying they didn't run with it, but they surely didn't invent it.  If anything it was wrong of Hannity to insist it was nothing before he even knew ANY facts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

28 minutes ago, daz28 said:

This is VERY dishonest.  They reported a special counsel investigation run by a Republican referred by Trumps DOJ.  I'm not saying they didn't run with it, but they surely didn't invent it.  If anything it was wrong of Hannity to insist it was nothing before he even knew ANY facts.

I do think "conspiracy" is too grand for what Trump's campaign did. Opportunistic without a care in the world regarding campaign regulations and laws would be more fitting.

If some of the most strident doubters here would just read the bipartisan Senate Intelligence report rather than just taking the twisted cliff notes of Ted Cruz, they would be better informed.

Many on the outgoing staff of Obama were concerned that Trump's campaign just were not taking seriously their exposure and interactions with Russian contacts. This is reflected in the report as a bit of an excuse. That their inexperience made them more susceptible to doing something stupid like coordinating with Russia's attempts to influence the election.

Does not take a conspiracy, just those that think the laws do not apply to them and a hefty amount of ignorance and ego.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

BBC is the closest thing I find to actual news on TV, the outsider perspective is refreshing and a hell of a lot more balanced than anything you can get on Fox, CNN, or MSNBC.  

Edited by Tenhigh

16 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

BBC is the closest thing I find to actual news on TV, the outsider perspective is refreshing and a hell of a lot more balanced than anything you can get on Fox, CNN, or MSNBC.  

BBC is sadly much more news oriented than any of the 24 hour news channels in America. 

• Agree 2

instead of complaining about a particular mainstream media news source...fox, msn, cnn...ect ect (they are all sensationalized biased garbage) 

why not share what you feel is a solid news source? 

ill start. i think (rising) on youtube is a very fair balanced place to get political news. a liberal and a consevative share the platform so you get both sides and AMAZINGLY report what they don't like IN THEIR OWN PARTY! 😱😱😱😱 

so i started. whats everyone else got?

Edited by Buffarukus

"News" died on 9/11.  

Similar to the downfall of ESPN, cable news is now just a menagerie of echo chambers of talking heads "personalities" spewing opinion.

Americans tunes into the echo chamber that validates their personal beliefs and opinions.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1