A sense of calm this week...

7 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Couldn't agree more.  I'm not anxious this week at all.  It's not because I think the Bills are going to win, I think it's a coin toss.  I feel confident that either way the Bills are going to make a good accounting of themselves.  I don't think Josh is going to find the moment too big for him, and I think he is going to play fantastic.  I think this is going to be a game that is decided by an odd bounce of the ball one way or another.

Win or lose I'm happy with this season.  I'm confident in saying, if not this year, next year.  That's a hell of a place for me to be after 20 years of beatings as a Bills fan.  It's pretty nice.

Nice thread OP.

Inigo, the WGR guys have been asking the question for weeks, “what would make this a successful season”

Ive said since before the season to win the East, and win at least one playoff game.  I’ve felt that would be progress and we’ve exceeded it.  We are one step away from the SB and their QB is dinged up at least as far as we know.  It sounds like from the news today the concussion may not be an issue, but tbd.  The toe though could slow his mobility down, maybe.

I don’t if I’m relaxed and calm, but there’s nothing I can do about the outcome of the game, so why worry. Then again, I was excited, but not worried about the last two games.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Wildcard weekend it was about "getting off the schneid" considering it had been 25 years!!!! and concerns the Bills were cruising and could be caught should Indy play them tough.  Visions of the 2019 Ravens (though the Bills are a much different team).

Vs. the Ravens it was the Lamar vs. Allen talk and people still trying to find fault with Allen or choosing Lamar ahead of him.....  A loss and it again would have been an "I told you so" scenario.

This week KC and with a healthy Mahomes it's all gravy.  The Bills win and it's Superbowl and two weeks talking about this Bills team vs. 91-95.....

A loss and then it's simply "How do the Bills & the rest of the AFC topple the Chiefs".

So yes am in a zen state and will be right through Sunday, only concerned about no COVID-19 issues and the WEATHER......😜

I feel so similar to this. So much anxiety about the Colts game.

After an amazing regular season if we lose in the wild card it feels like the entire season was a failure.

We (more so the national narrative) forget about all the gains of the season - JA17 becoming elite, diggs being the best wr in the entire flippin league, Beasley, the oline especially a very nice surprise in Daryl Williams, a steal of a draft pick with Gabriel, the safetys (Poyer!) leading the d the entire year, Hughes morphing into this sage leader that we need but never knew we had (btw when was his last bone headed unsportsmanlike like conduct penalty he used to get every game), Edmunds proving me and most of the rest of us wrong after a slow start. Klein, talk about going from zero to hero. Bass! 99% of the fan base wanted him gone by week 3. McD going from conservative to aggressive and wildly considered one of the best. Daboll, eh, he’s ok, to a mastermind. Frazier!, what a turnaround on D. How much does a healthy Milano mean to this team. BEANE!!

if we lose to the colts all that is forgotten. The narrative is yes, while theyre a good team the bills can’t get over the hump. Beating them was a massive relief.

beating the ravens was validation. We are at the very top of the league. 

I’ve never had so much confidence in a bills team. I’ve been a fan since ‘88 as background. 

This team will win the super bowl and Josh Allen will be the mvp. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Joe Ferguson said:

This will be the most relaxing week I'm going to have. Queefs will get demolished this Sunday. I can see Matt Barkely handing the ball off to Yeldon and Dingleberry (Singletary if he played well) at the start of the 4th quarter because Bills already won the lopsided game.

Before anything , have to say Joe  Fergy was one of my favorite past Bills.  He was always exciting and a tough QB.  I wish I could feel so relaxed. I guess it’s possible to feel that way if you feel this is enough, we exceeded expectations so whatever happens now is “ gravy”. I can understand that but I’ve been around since the 60’s so I’ve seen some really great things and I’ve seen more than a fans fair share of bad things like music city miracle and hail Murray’s.    All this has reinforced one thing; it’s been an amazing season , one of the best in Bills history, and by acknowledging that, it is proof just how rare this moment is. Not only is talent involved but luck is important like  avoiding critical injuries, the ball bouncing off the uprights, recovering a key fumble, etc.   Philip Rivers can attest to that as he ended his 17 year career today with 0 titles, 0 appearances in the SB.    

So I feel a little Nervous because a lot has gone into this season to get us here. Two good opponents pushed us and while we won and are learning how to win,  our strength which is our Offense has not had convincing performances as we moved forward. Our receivers seemed dinged up and honestly , I don’t remember a good Bills team who has had an almost non existent run game like we saw these two weeks.   We have to travel to face the defending champions who have been thru the learning process of overcoming a deficit in a SB to win the one title our Franchise has never accomplished.   They will have Mahomes ( no protocol will be enforced by the NFL to make its largest star sit out, too much  money from networks /Vegas / advertisers/ sponsers  at stake), with a great tight end, good receiving Corp, and perhaps the best head coach this side of Belichick  who already out-coached us once this year.  So far, out of the remaining 4 teams, most experts are downplaying our chances and we are the only team with a QB with no SB Experience or SB WIN.   Just looking at those facts it does seem like odds  are against us going further. 

But we have kept winning. We keep making just enough plays to overcome mistakes or inexperience. So in my heart, I selfishly won’t feel content  because we got to the AFC championship. We are there now, so knowing how hard it is to get there, how special this run has been with this record matching our best ever, it does feel like we could actually do this. I don’t believe this team will be satisfied just making this game and I think they would feel crushed after getting to this point if it should slip away. So I am not in a zen state. Really happy we are relevant, but all the “lost” years are still a big burden and I so wish to put that all to rest.  The lack of running is worrisome; I think it’s hard to be one dimensional and hope Daboll brings out his creativity, which has been toned down recently. Can Frazier be a magician like he was last week ? We are SO CLOSE, in a position we haven’t experienced since 1994. I was at that SB in 94; I wish I could convey how amazing it is to be one of the final two standing!  I don’t know the feeling of winning a SB, unlike the fans of the other 3 remaining teams. I remember walking down the ramps in Atlanta being heckled by Cowboy fans after losing our halftime lead and letting one final SB get away. I just know how evasive winning it all has been. I admire people who are relaxed , zen like , believing we will roll the Chiefs etc.

I believe we can win, but after so many years of falling short, I think this game is about solving an offense that is prolific and balanced.  Mahomes can pass, scramble , throw to any part of the field ( rivers & Lamar couldn’t do that ), is experienced  and not prone to panic or turnovers.  Can Allen keep his calm, stay confident, stay patient, avoid fumbles , avoid hero ball and not take sacks that push us out of fg range?  I think the answer is yes if we can get at least some help from the run game. That’s what makes me nervous. I think Allen and this team do have enough talent to win it all.    I have to be honest tho, the one dimensional aspect of placing everything on Josh seems like our Achilles heel.  I really have grown to love  this teams sense of playing for each other, and I want them to experience the joy of going to the SB!  So I’m having trouble shaking  anxiety as I am hoping Frazier can scheme enough to derail the Maholmes train, and we overcome our difficulty running just enough to let Josh be the best Josh he can be !   So we finally get to feel the zen of winning it all !  I have waited 50 years for that feeling and we are just two games from experiencing it!  It’s like studying or prepping for a huge test at the end of the year that is worth 50% of your grade; you’ve put in the hard work but is it enough to make that final grade the pass you need to move ahead one more step ?!   Whew,,,,pressure !  Let’s go BUFF LO ! 😀😉

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

Exactly! ..... Anything here-on-out is icing on the cake.

I love icing!!!!

As stated though the zen state (sense of calm) is the Bills cleared two huge hurdles and yes I want the debate to be Mahomes vs. Allen, not Allen vs. Lamar. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

Exactly! ..... Anything here-on-out is icing on the cake.

Win or lose they had a great season. Let's be honest its going to hurt if they lose and we all know it. Two wins from a Super Bowl championship. As others pointed out there are no guarantees the Bills get back to this point. I think they will and I also think JA leads the Bills to a couple of Super Bowl championships when his career finally ends but that is just my opinion which means nothing. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Yup his rookie year. He probably thought "Wow...this is easy. I'll be back every few years". Wrong.

1983 was Marino's Rookie year and he took over midseason. Fins won AFC East but lost to Seahawks in 1st round.  Raiders won SB that year beating Red skins handily 

1984 was Marino's breakout year with 48 TDs and 5000 yards.  Fins went to SB and got blown out by the 49ers.   As you stated he never made it back. Lesson learned.  Carpe Diem Josh. 

Yep, there would be no shame in losing to the Mahomes-led defending super bowl champions (with potentially even more talent than they had last year when they won it all...). 

I’d LOVE to win this game, and I’d be lying if I said I won’t be a nervous wreck during the game. But I can definitely deal with a loss. It wouldn’t be like if we had lost week 1. Then it would’ve been tough to sell this season as a success (w/another 1st round playoff loss). But now? No matter what happens on Sunday this season was a success in my book! I badly want to win though. 

Just now, BillsFan4 said:

Yep, there would be no shame in losing to the Mahomes-led defending super bowl champions (with potentially even more talent than they had last year when they won it all...). 

I’d LOVE to win this game, and I’d be lying if I said I won’t be a nervous wreck during the game. But I can definitely deal with a loss. It wouldn’t be like if we had lost week 1. Then it would’ve been tough to sell this season as a success (w/another 1st round playoff loss). But now? No matter what happens on Sunday this season was a success in my book! I badly want to win though. 

this is exactly where i'm at with it.  because of it, i'm really not nervous for this game at all.  i'm looking foward to it.  for the indy game i was a mess.  it has been a long time since the bills had me that emotionally invested in a game.

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, teef said:

this is exactly where i'm at with it.  because of it, i'm really not nervous for this game at all.  i'm looking foward to it.  for the indy game i was a mess.  it has been a long time since the bills had me that emotionally invested in a game.

Yeah I almost died from a heart attack during that Indy game 😂

I wanted to end that playoff winless streak soo bad. 

Im not nervous about the KC game yet, and as much as I keep telling myself not to be - that we are playing with house money - I know I will be as soon as they kick the ball off.

Edited by BillsFan4
Spelling error
  • Like (+1) 1

Agree.  We needed to get over the hump.  Needed a win to show progress.  Now we have 2...I'm less nervous that we will fold in the moment.  We will give them all we have and its quite possible it won't be enough yet...but we are not going to cave under pressure.  Baby steps. 

It's a calmer feeling, the season looks to be really good no matter what now.  Universally recognized as one of the top 4-5 teams in the NFL.  The future is bright.   I relate to the house money feel.

I would have been more nervous if Cleveland had won.  I would have liked our chances of moving on better, but I  would have been more nervous in that I don't like losing games when I think we should win.

1 hour ago, teef said:

Not to get ahead of myself.  I have no doubt the Bills will score.  The question is will they score enough.

Indy I needed to watch on my own (saw the end with my son).  I did not want to watch with anyone.

Raven's to me as I posted seemed like a referendum between Josh & Lamar & that bothered me.

Now it will be scoring points and as was noted KC is the worst red zone team in the NFL, which bodes well.   

Edited by Billsfan1972

It's always less stressful when paying with house money and that's exactly what we're playing with.

This season has exceeded my most realistic optimistic expectations:  15 wins; division title; 2 playoff wins; elite play by Allen to confirm he's our franchise QB and the big trade for Diggs working better then anyone could have imagined.

Throw in the fact that we have the right head coach & GM and the Bills are poised for a long run.

Some have hinted that we have to win Sunday because this might be the last time we get so close to a Super Bowl. And yes that may be right. But IMO everything I see argues against a one & done Bills team. In fact all signs point to a 10 year run at the top.  From ownership to head coach to GM the Bills are built for long term success.

And we have our QB. And given Allen's path into and through the NFL it's reasonable to assume he will get even better over the coming years.

So lets hope the Bills win and go to the SB.  But in the end this is a learning experience for the Bills and there will be several more chances to reach the SB in the next few years.  Count on it.

35 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Not to get ahead of myself.  I have no doubt the Bills will score.  The question is will they score enough.

Indy I needed to watch on my own (saw the end with my son).  I did not want to watch with anyone.

Raven's to me as I posted seemed like a referendum between Josh & Lamar & that bothered me.

Now it will be scoring points and as was noted KC is the worst red zone team in the NFL, which bodes well.   

that seems like the obvious formula...score quickly and often.  who know though...does the defense step up and save the game again?  as other have mentioned, and as they were talking about on sirius this morning, they just need to make sure to not let the chiefs have the last shot at scoring.  giving kc the ball back, even with very limited time, will almost always result in a loss.

1 hour ago, teef said:

5 minutes ago, teef said:

that seems like the obvious formula...score quickly and often.  who know though...does the defense step up and save the game again?  as other have mentioned, and as they were talking about on sirius this morning, they just need to make sure to not let the chiefs have the last shot at scoring.  giving kc the ball back, even with very limited time, will almost always result in a loss.

I know I'm going to be one of those that drops tears down the cheeks if our Bills win this game. Lord knows how much more emotional I will be if they happen to win the big one.

My nerves and emotions have been crazy this season, especially last 2 weeks. I'm sure it's the same with many Bills fans though.