An end ... and a new beginning.

SoTier

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

45? I do believe voting laws should be decentralized because the federal government is less representative of its constituents that the state government and so on down the line. That is the essence of a federal republic and representative democracy. 

I really do not understand why it’s so objectionable to democrats to suggest one identify themselves to have their vote tallied. Can you explain it? 

but on the same token, Republicans being so concerned about voter fraud infers they are too dumb to figure out how to commit voter fraud and ballot harvesting. 

it’s not hard, you just find a bunch of people and feed them lunch and bus them to a voting booth. Works best with homeless shelters and elderly homes. You can even fill it out for them and just have them sign it. 

They are opposed I guess to the come vote for this guy and get a free lunch drives which I guess could be inferred as bribery. But again, I don’t know why the other party is too dumb to just do the same thing. 

But seriously who are these voters that don’t have IDs. I’d love to live life without needing one and carrying the stupid thing around all the time. 

Reasons against voter ID cause:

1. 11 percent of Americans don’t have an ID. It seems odd to a lot of people but living in a city where you have public transportation and you don’t drink, no reason to have an ID. If you’re a senior citizen who can’t drive, no reason to have an ID.

2. The cost is a poll tax. Even if offered for free, people have costs of getting their birth certificates and probably would need to take time off of work to get it.

3. The ID laws enacted so far have been to target minorities. Republicans like them because they disproportionately harm minorities. Per ACLU 25 percent of African Americans do not have an ID compared to 8 percent of whites.

4. Republicans enacting the ID laws do so in ways that favor themselves. For example, in Texas they made gun IDs as valid ID but not college IDs.

5. the cost implementing voter ID is huge compared to the barely any voter impersonations that would be solved with voter ID.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ALF said:

Should eliminate the New Nazi Party also

I believe that's still the same one.  Pick another one, please.

7 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

Reasons against voter ID cause:

1. 11 percent of Americans don’t have an ID. It seems odd to a lot of people but living in a city where you have public transportation and you don’t drink, no reason to have an ID. If you’re a senior citizen who can’t drive, no reason to have an ID.

2. The cost is a poll tax. Even if offered for free, people have costs of getting their birth certificates and probably would need to take time off of work to get it.

3. The ID laws enacted so far have been to target minorities. Republicans like them because they disproportionately harm minorities. Per ACLU 25 percent of African Americans do not have an ID compared to 8 percent of whites.

4. Republicans enacting the ID laws do so in ways that favor themselves. For example, in Texas they made gun IDs as valid ID but not college IDs.

5. the cost implementing voter ID is huge compared to the barely any voter impersonations that would be solved with voter ID.

No offense but that has to the be the weakest set of arguments against something so critical that I've ever read.  Your #1 reason for not having an ID is because people don't have an ID?  Really? 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

No offense but that has to the be the weakest set of arguments against something so critical that I've ever read.  Your #1 reason for not having an ID is because people don't have an ID?  Really? 

critical? From 2000 to 2014, there was 31 cases of voter impersonation in the US (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2014/10/13/the-disconnect-between-voter-id-laws-and-voter-fraud/)

How is stopping 31 cases out of billions of ballots critical?

Indiana ran a program to get everyone free IDs and cost $10,000,000. That $10 million stopped probably 1 person?

let’s not forget Dems are the hard workers they can’t just take off their jobs to get IDs like Republicans can to storm the US capitol 

Edited by Backintheday544
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Backintheday544 said:

critical? From 2000 to 2014, there was 31 cases of voter impersonation in the US (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2014/10/13/the-disconnect-between-voter-id-laws-and-voter-fraud/)

How is stopping 31 cases out of billions of ballots critical?

Indiana ran a program to get everyone free IDs and cost $10,000,000. That $10 million stopped probably 1 person?

If you don't think there either is or will be massive fraud with mail-in, remote, or electronic voting you are living in a fantasyland. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Not only that, but people who work but somehow got the job without ID...will have to take time off from work.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Not only that, but people who work but somehow got the job without ID...will have to take time off from work.

And not only that, but apparently a law that requires everyone to have something is somehow unfair to people who happen to be in a minority.  Not sure why that would be exactly.  Will the same be true for national health care?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Backintheday544 said:

let’s not forget Dems are the hard workers they can’t just take off their jobs

This is such a dumb comment. Farmers tend to not be democrats and are the hardest working people on the planet. 

Go ahead and explain what sort of jobs those democrats got without an ID. You need a SSC and ID for just about any legal job in the country. 

People don’t want to admit it, but this is the game... go to homeless shelters and offer food or money cigarettes or booze to get them to vote and often they have pre-populated  ballets they just ask them to sign. This is a population which tends not to have ID and will favor the party of welfare, universal healthcare and social safety net of course.  Sure they have a right to vote assuming they are citizens, but that’s what this ID topic is about and everyone on both sides knows it. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

28 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

This is such a dumb comment. Farmers tend to not be democrats and are the hardest working people on the planet. 

Go ahead and explain what sort of jobs those democrats got without an ID. You need a SSC and ID for just about any legal job in the country. 

People don’t want to admit it, but this is the game... go to homeless shelters and offer food or money cigarettes or booze to get them to vote and often they have pre-populated  ballets they just ask them to sign. This is a population which tends not to have ID and will favor the party of welfare, universal healthcare and social safety net of course.  Sure they have a right to vote assuming they are citizens, but that’s what this ID topic is about and everyone on both sides knows it. 

so you’re basically admitting you want voter ID laws so legal voters can’t vote? 

if you want a law where you can’t trade booze for a ballot or can’t have pre-filled in ballots then have that and enforce that.

You’re saying yes, there’s legal Americans at homeless shelters who don’t have IDs. We should have an ID law them so they can’t vote.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

so you’re basically admitting you want voter ID laws so legal voters can’t vote? 

if you want a law where you can’t trade booze for a ballot or can’t have pre-filled in ballots then have that and enforce that.

You’re saying yes, there’s legal Americans at homeless shelters who don’t have IDs. We should have an ID law them so they can’t vote.

no I’m saying that’s why the ID issue is so important to both parties. Democrats are all about getting the apathetic that probably wouldn’t vote if it took any effort at all to the polls. And vagrants and homeless people probably vote for the party of handouts. 

Republicans want to add more friction so it’s not as easy for the apathetic to vote, because everyone should be able to admit, they are seen as not the party of handouts.

I’d  personally rather people are helped to get IDs as it’s a useful component of a responsible life and then require ids. This could be the answer if the left actually cared about these people, but it’s all a power mongering facade. Just as the FRAUD risk cry is for Rs. 

People!  Once you have a verifiable Voter ID system in place then you don't need to take time off from work.  I assume you don't work 24 hours a day!  You can vote from home, or whenever a voting window is available to you. But, you can only vote once.  And, you can only vote if you're a verifiable US Citizen.  The rest takes care of itself.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

People!  Once you have a verifiable Voter ID system in place then you don't need to take time off from work.  I assume you don't work 24 hours a day!  You can vote from home, or whenever a voting window is available to you. But, you can only vote once.  And, you can only vote if you're a verifiable US Citizen.  The rest takes care of itself.

No one who is a legal US citizen and works has no ID.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

If you don't think there either is or will be massive fraud with mail-in, remote, or electronic voting you are living in a fantasyland. 

Why do you think mail-in balloting can't be secure?  There are 5 states that do most of there voting by mail, Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Utah and Washington.  Are the results for those states all fraudulent?

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

no I’m saying that’s why the ID issue is so important to both parties. Democrats are all about getting the apathetic that probably wouldn’t vote if it took any effort at all to the polls. And vagrants and homeless people probably vote for the party of handouts. 

Republicans want to add more friction so it’s not as easy for the apathetic to vote, because everyone should be able to admit, they are seen as not the party of handouts.

I’d  personally rather people are helped to get IDs as it’s a useful component of a responsible life and then require ids. This could be the answer if the left actually cared about these people, but it’s all a power mongering facade. Just as the FRAUD risk cry is for Rs. 

Democrats are pro-Social safety net. Republicans are against that.

People who are homeless and not well off would see appeal to a party that supports a social safety net vs a party that wants to cut things like food stamps in favor of tax cuts of wealthy individuals.

So if they vote for their own best interest, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. They’re just as American as you and have a single vote just as you do.

Republicans “adding friction” is known as disenfranchisement. The greatest responsibility an American has is to vote. Our laws should make that as easy as possible for every American.

The disenfranchisement Republicans have done also targets a political party. For example allowing gun IDs to vote but not student IDs in Texas or allowing military IDs but not VA IDs in Wisconsin.

If Republicans were serious about voter ID laws they wouldn’t do things that favor one party over the other. 

Imagine the outrage is in Kansas democrats passed a law that said you could only vote Sunday’s from 8-10 (or whenever church time was). That law would make friction on Republican voters and should be equally as illegal as any other law that’s sole purpose is to make it harder for a group of people to vote.

5 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

Democrats are pro-Social safety net. Republicans are against that.

People who are homeless and not well off would see appeal to a party that supports a social safety net vs a party that wants to cut things like food stamps in favor of tax cuts of wealthy individuals.

So if they vote for their own best interest, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. They’re just as American as you and have a single vote just as you do.

Republicans “adding friction” is known as disenfranchisement. The greatest responsibility an American has is to vote. Our laws should make that as easy as possible for every American.

The disenfranchisement Republicans have done also targets a political party. For example allowing gun IDs to vote but not student IDs in Texas or allowing military IDs but not VA IDs in Wisconsin.

If Republicans were serious about voter ID laws they wouldn’t do things that favor one party over the other. 

Imagine the outrage is in Kansas democrats passed a law that said you could only vote Sunday’s from 8-10 (or whenever church time was). That law would make friction on Republican voters and should be equally as illegal as any other law that’s sole purpose is to make it harder for a group of people to vote.

On your last paragraph, they would if they could. Let’s be clear, dems know the no ID crowd votes for them. If the no ID crowd voted the other way, they’d be on opposite sides of this issue.

but I can’t argue your points about Rs, but you’re a fool to thing you’re Ds aren’t just as corrupt and self serving. 

13 hours ago, Scraps said:

Why do you think mail-in balloting can't be secure?  There are 5 states that do most of there voting by mail, Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Utah and Washington.  Are the results for those states all fraudulent?

Mail in balloting can indeed be secure but only if we beef up our Voter ID requirement. I simply cannot understand why having identification, which is really just verified registration, is such a big deal to the opposition. You have to have a password to buy a lousy pair of underwear on line! It’s the 21st Century. None of this is either hard to do or cumbersome for anyone. 

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Mail in balloting can indeed be secure but only if we beef up our Voter ID requirement. I simply cannot understand why having identification, which is really just verified registration, is such a big deal to the opposition. You have to have a password to buy a lousy pair of underwear on line! It’s the 21st Century. None of this is either hard to do or cumbersome for anyone. 

I'm not sure I understand the voter ID issue when it comes to mail in voting.  Why isn't signature verification enough to satisfy the voter ID aspect?

Just now, Scraps said:

I'm not sure I understand the voter ID issue when it comes to mail in voting.  Why isn't signature verification enough to satisfy the voter ID aspect?

Simple, you would have a number, just like you do for virtually everything you do remotely these days. That would be far better than a signature, and easier for the software to check at the other end to see that that number hadn’t already voted. Again, no big boogie man here. All of this is normal. Heck I can’t even buy gas without typing in a PIN at the pump.

On 2/26/2021 at 11:16 AM, B-Man said:

BECAUSE IT’S ‘CONTROVERSIAL’ TO BUILD IN THE SAME STYLE AS WASHINGTON’S MOST BEAUTIFUL BUILDINGS: 

President Biden Revokes Trump’s Controversial Classical Architecture Order.

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/25/971312635/president-biden-revokes-trumps-controversial-classical-architecture-order

We live in the 21st century.   Good design didn't end in 1970, and most Americans likely consider the "dogs playing poker" prints good "art".  American civic architecture should be open to new design ideas just as it has always been.  Keep in mind that at one time what we consider  "classical and traditional" styles of architecture were "modern".  Buffalo's City Hall is a marvelous Art Deco style building.  In the 1930s when it was built, it was considered "modern" compared to Gothic Revival and Federal style that were popular in civic architecture decades earlier.  Today, Art Deco style is considered more than worth preserving.

Keep finding things to whine about.

• Haha (+1) 1