Greatest Plays in Bills History

37 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The field goal block by Odomes and return by Bennet against the Broncos in 1990 is my choice as I feel it set the Super Bowl run in motion.

After the auspicious 12-4 1988 season the very talented Bills seemed posed to become a juggernaut. However, it seemed like they read too many of their press clippings and in '89 they regressed to 9-7 and some degree of infamy as the "Bickering Bills."   The NFL world wondered which version of Bills would show up in 1990. The Bills season had a shaky start, getting trounced by the Dolphins and then beating the Jets. After falling behind 21-9 at the start of the fourth quarter against the Broncos in Buffalo, it felt like the Bills were on the verge on implosion. As the Broncos lined for a 24 yard field goal attempt, the Bills' prospects for the game and the season seemed bleak. Then Odomes broke through, blocked the kicked, Bennet caught it and the fly and proceeded directly to pay dirt.   This sent the crowd into a frenzy, discombobulating the Broncos offense leading very quickly to a pick-six and a fumble inside their own five yard line. Within a minute and a half of game time the Bills had gone from being on the verge of a 15 point deficit to an 8 point lead. The Bills held on to beat the Broncos by one point, won their next six games and were rolling. They pretty much didn't look back for the next four seasons after the blocked field goal against the Broncos (except in Super Bowls).

I've long felt that that play was the catalyst of the Bills' golden age and the pivotal moment in Bills history.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ned Flanders said:

That's a great list.  I'm surprised that I have no recollection of the Simpson interception at the end of the Jets playoff game.  I recall the game, but not the play...weird.....

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I will never forget this game. That was the only time I heard the roar of the crowd inside my house 1.5 miles away from the stadium. I went outside during the commercial break to listen to the crowd, and my buddy next door who had been at the game comes walking past my driveway at that exact moment. He left bc the game was "boring." He's freaking out "what happened, what happened?!?"  And I got to tell him that the Bills just scored 3 TD's in 77 seconds. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, buffalobillswin said:

Andy Dalton to Tyler Boyd

I agree on the importance of this play.  Besides obviously breaking the drought it had bigger ramifications imo than just that:

Does the team trade up for Josh in the offseason if the Bills don't make the playoffs?  I mean God Bless Tyrod and not trying to knock him but the playoff game versus the Jaguars I think showed pretty much everyone he'd only get you so far.  If that doesn't happen the team maybe rolls with him another year or goes after Kirk Cousins.

Would the FO and fans be as patient with McDermott's rebuild in 2018 if the team was still in a drought?  Yes 9-7 wouldn't be bad but I just don't think McDermott's Trust The Process lines would have flown without breaking the drought.  Imo as well 2018 was pivotal to establishing the foundations of what we are seeing now.  Trading Watkins would have been a big WTF I think otherwise.

So yes Bills fans should still always be eternally grateful to those two.

But I'd mention Beebe's strip of Lett in the Super Bowl.  Symbolized the never give up attitude 

2 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

I was there...top 1 or 2 for sure.

Has anybody mentioned  "the hit".....in the 60's when Bills lb Mike Stratton put a shoulder into the ribs of Keith Lincoln in the afc title game, and broke is ribs.   Bills were winners that day, the photo of the hit was around for three or four decades.  Younger posters here won't remember, of course.

#1 on the list in the rocheste dem and chronicle article

Top of the list has to be the throw by Josh to Diggs that won the Super Bowl this year in the last minute of play...Oh, crap. Sorry, I know many of you haven't seen it yet so you'll just have to take my word for it.

I'm just going to get back into my DeLorean....

• Haha (+1) 3

19 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

One play that always sticks out to me was in the '73 Opener against New England. OJ took the pitch and went 80 yards, untouched for a score.  You just had the feeling something BIG was about to happen....and it did.

I remember this year. I was a kid running around the backyard in my #32 jersey.  Every kid wanted to be the Juice. My how times change.