Phillip Rivers retiring

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, Maybe Someday said:

Based on stats he is a HOFer but are stats enough?

My 1st thought was Matt Ryan to the Colts. 

He is a lock for the Hall of Fame.  He threw for more yards than Marino.  Stats are all you need to get into the Hall of Fame when they are stats like his.  His numbers are crazy good. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Wow.  Very interesting.

Great career, great QB who will likely be buried a bit in the memories and history books.

I would equate him to Kenny Anderson, great QB in his time that has been mostly forgotten. Gets HoF votes but not much chance of getting in.

"Anderson was ranked 6th all-time for passing yards in a career at the time of his retirement."

Edited by Coastie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

Probably gets into HOF but is really one of those "Hall of Really Good" players.  5-7 playoff W-L record, QB rating 10 pts. lower in playoffs than regular season.  Basically a 2-to-1 TD/INT ratio for his career.  Good, tough (never missed a game for injury) QB.

• Agree 1

Great player; great guy. Wish him all the best.

A lot of QB’s will be fighting to land with the colts. That coaching staff, run game, and oline make it a super attractive job. I bet they could get a “prove it” free agent, like a Winston or Mariotta very easily and cheaply, and then can draft someone to groom. 

Just now, eball said:

Probably gets into HOF but is really one of those "Hall of Really Good" players.  5-7 playoff W-L record, QB rating 10 pts. lower in playoffs than regular season.  Basically a 2-to-1 TD/INT ratio for his career.  Good, tough (never missed a game for injury) QB.

I'll add, when looking at the HOF I always ask myself "can you tell the story of the NFL without mentioning this guy?"  With Rivers my answer is, "probably."

10 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Or Wentz, though the large contract may stop that

All we now is Big Ben to retire too, would be a heck of a HOF class in 3 years, Brees, Rivers, and Ben

Wentz is finished.  He will be OOF by 2022.

2 minutes ago, Coastie said:

I would equate him to Kenny Anderson, great QB in his time that has been mostly forgotten. Gets HoF votes but not much chance of getting in.

lol.  Rivers threw for over 63,000 yards and 421 TD's.   Anderson threw for 33,000 yards and 197 TD's.  Rivers is a top 5 all-time leader in throwing yards.  He won't get in on the first ballot, but a virtual lock to get in the HOF.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BITE ME said:

lol.  Rivers threw for over 63,000 yards and 421 TD's.   Anderson threw for 33,000 yards and 197 TD's.  Rivers is a top 5 all-time leader in throwing yards.  He won't get in on the first ballot, but a virtual lock to get in the HOF.  

Different time, different game, Anderson was 6th in yards when he retired, Rivers 5th. Very comparable.

• Like (+1) 1

Congrats on a great career Philip!

We lost an all time great trash talker today

4 minutes ago, T master said:

Well the Colts will have plenty of really good veteran QB's to choose from .

Wentz

Stafford

Tyrod

Ryan

Dalton 

And who ever else i forget and that's not even counting the draft .

Thats a pretty generous list of "really good" qbs

• Like (+1) 1

I was never a fan of him or his childish tantrums on the field at times. Always thought he choked at the worst possible times. 
That said he was a great player I just didn’t like him. From everything I’ve read he’s a fantastic human being so I no longer dislike him after retirement