Let’s talk Ike Boettger

gonzo1105

Ike has defiantly been an unsung hero. I thought Ford would hold down the LG spot once Spain went awol. And while I think Ford would have he got hurt and Ike came in and has been very effective. They need to do everything they can to keep this O-line together. Even if that means having to let Milano and Levi possibly walk. 

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Ford is on his rookie deal. No reason to trade him.

That and he was playing with an injury for most of the season before he got IRd, Fords not going anywhere. 

19 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think we cut Morse for the cap savings.

Dawkins - Ford - Feliciano - Boettger - Williams 

I think it’s Williams that leaves. Morse saves you $5M by cutting him. Not enough to keep Williams on its own. I believe Williams will get more than they’ll offer ($13M-$15M) and they’ll use a combo of Ford/Bates/UFA/Draft pick to battle for that spot. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

19 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

i don’t really see Morse, Brown I can def see. They are set obviously with Beasley and Diggs. I think the emergence of Gabe Davis , the signing of Kenny Stills, and still having the possibility of McKenzie and Hodgins in the wings could spell the end for Brown  

I disagree.  Brown is much too valuable, tons of chemistry with Josh, multiple 1000 yd NFL seasons, etc.  We are a spread it and sling it team now, we need 5 great receivers and Smoke is our #2.  If Diggs gets hurt then he's our clutch #1.

Obviously if one side gets screwy with money he's gone, but I think he stays.

Astro was big on Boettger early on, I still remember how he stood out at camp 2 years ago.  Hes 6-6 and seems to tower over everybody but solid build like a tackle.

Ford has to beat him out at camp next year and he might not be able to do it.

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

I have been carefully watching Boettger for a while now and his Pass-Protection is excellent. You don't ever really see pressure come up the middle in his gap.

Run-Blocking is not good, tho.

Almost as if it was by design Bills focused on the Pass game becoming Bills bread and butter  :)
Much better Pass pro and the Pass game in general.

Play calling and Players acquired or released before the "season"

Boettger has played very well and seems to fit even better with that Line and the offense as designed

Lets go Ike !

Go Bills 

20 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Almost as if it was by design Bills focused on the Pass game becoming Bills bread and butter  :)
Much better Pass pro and the Pass game in general.

Play calling and Players acquired or released before the "season"

Boettger has played very well and seems to fit even better with that Line and the offense as designed

Lets go Ike !

Go Bills 

I like him as the Bills starting LG in 2021. 

Keep passing the ball and lighting up the scoreboard. "There is no defense for the perfect throw". His skill-set fits perfectly for this scheme.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, mattynh said:

Stills and McKenzie will be UFA' I believe.

Isaiah McKenzie signed a 1 year, $962,500 contract with the Buffalo Bills.

Stills was a veteran cut so Bills are likely just paying minimum and now Stills gets payed this year in playoffs where he would not if he was member of Texans.

7 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

Morse, Star, Matakevich, Gaines cut create about 23m. That keeps Milano and Willams. Likely the least painful way to do it. Unless you keep Star over Butler or Jefferson. 

Your math here is way off. I mean, not even close.

Cutting Lotulelei would leave us paying $11.8 in dead money. Unless his play goes far downhill there is no good reason to cut him this year, none.

Whoever replaces Gaines on the roster will cost just as much as Gaines. No savings. Matakevich and Morse would save a bit, but far less than $10M.

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

Cutting Lotulelei would leave us paying $11.8 in dead money. Unless his play goes far downhill there is no good reason to cut him this year, none.

Whoever replaces Gaines on the roster will cost just as much as Gaines. No savings. Matakevich and Morse would save a bit, but far less than $10M.

Got ya stand corrected. Missed the dead $ so way off. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

If they're designated post-June 1st cuts, they would actually save almost $11M.  Pre-June 1st is $8M

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

If they're designated post-June 1st cuts, they would actually save almost $11M.  Pre-June 1st is $8M

Actual savings would be far less than $10M, yeah, somewhere around $8. Yes, you could push some of that dead money to the next year. Still has to be paid, though.

Would also create holes that have to be filled, costing money.

When they gave Farwell a wish list, his first choice was Matakevich. I don't think they want to cut him. 

They will have to cut some people they would rather not. I don't think Matakevich will be one, but it's certainly possible.

Edited by Thurman#1

4 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Why? 

Those who live by the sword, die by the sword.

We need to have a balanced attack if we want to have longevity in our SB window run.

If you are of the opinion that Josh, Diggs and company can do next year what they did this year ,for 19 games, I have a bridge to sell you.

The league will catch up with our offense like it always does.

Put another way, how many time did you need to see the Patriots ( with the GOAT at QB) run the ball down other teams throats at will before you thought , Huh, wish we could do that.

25 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Actual savings would be far less than $10M, yeah, somewhere around $8. Yes, you could push some of that dead money to the next year. Still has to be paid, though.

Would also create holes that have to be filled, costing money.

When they gave Farwell a wish list, his first choice was Matakevich. I don't think they want to cut him. 

They will have to cut some people they would rather not. I don't think Matakevich will be one, but it's certainly possible.

If OTC's numbers are to be believed, it's $11M post-June 1st.  And any cuts the Bills make will be post-June 1st given the cap situation.

Now I agree that if you cut them, you need to find at least as cheap replacements.  Not sure you'll be able to with either as Feliciano will likely want what Morse saves, but Morse's concussion history will have to be taken into account. 

Edited by Doc

1 hour ago, Doc said:

If OTC's numbers are to be believed, it's $11M post-June 1st.  And any cuts the Bills make will be post-June 1st given the cap situation.

Now I agree that if you cut them, you need to find at least as cheap replacements.  Not sure you'll be able to with either as Feliciano will likely want what Morse saves, but Morse's concussion history will have to be taken into account. 

I think there will be issues with post-June 1st cap cuts.  Bills have shown that they are willing to take financial hits to make team synchrony better.  Players which they have no intention of keeping will miss first wave of free agency.  This will hurt the family the Bills tried to make.  Yes Bills have released players but this will be different.

The best example of taking a hit is Quinton Spain.  He was signed to a new contract, started 2 games and was not starting for 2 games.  He had been active all games.  He went to Tennessee with team and was not activated there with foot soreness after flight and game plan designed.  Bills could have chosen to keep on bench OR activate him and if he refused to play taken to commissioner.   They could have tried to trade him.   They could have suspended him and told him to stay away from facility. They did none of these things.    They released him with no compensation.  

I wonder how Quinton Spain feels about situation including missing playoffs.  It is clear he initiated this.

Boettger has been better than Ford.. I can’t deny that, but is he so much better that you could justify paying him 5-6x more than Ford? I think not.. Ford is signed to a very cheap contract and his ceiling is higher.. By all means, draft an interior lineman RDs 1-3 to push him and to keep him as insurance.. preferably a center that can also play guard.. but don’t forget that Ryan Bates also looked good in limited time when he saw the field..  It comes down to Feliciano and Daryl Williams vs Boettger.. And I think Williams should be the #1 priority.. Feliciano #2... Boettger #3..

11 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Boettger has been better than Ford.. I can’t deny that, but is he so much better that you could justify paying him 5-6x more than Ford? I think not.. Ford is signed to a very cheap contract and his ceiling is higher.. By all means, draft an interior lineman RDs 1-3 to push him and to keep him as insurance.. preferably a center that can also play guard.. but don’t forget that Ryan Bates also looked good in limited time when he saw the field..  It comes down to Feliciano and Daryl Williams vs Boettger.. And I think Williams should be the #1 priority.. Feliciano #2... Boettger #3..

Boettger is an RFA next year.  Put an original round tender for around $2.2M and you have him for the year.  Then figure out what to do about him/Ford/someone else.

• Like (+1) 1