Let’s talk Ike Boettger

gonzo1105

You gotta understand that 80% of what the Bills OLine does is pass block, which basically hides Boettger. 

I don't believe this is a sustainable way of playing offense. Right now the Bills have an elite Z and an elite slot.  That's why the Bills can drop back 75% of the time and pass and still win. You actually saw the consequences of that against the Ravens, when Beasley wasn't himself, the Bills offense had just a single TD against a defense with above average but not great secondary talent, and brought almost no extra pressure.  

Going forward, the Bills are going to require a functioning run game, and you're not going to get that with Ike Boetger as your starting guard IMO. 

I actually think the play would be to keep Mongo over Williams to help facilitate that, and maybe use a 2nd round pick on a RT or a veteran FA who's ok with a cheap deal on a winning team. 

Ford and Feliciano are plus run guards. 

Edited by appoo
  • Disagree 2

Not sure about the D side.  Edmunds, Milano are both important and coming up soon.  The dip in the cap for next year will hurt retention for sure.  We are gonna need some good draft picks who can play some.  But, playing rookies isn't McD's style  (yeh, ok, Moss)  I wonder about Edmunds...good sometimes, but , not in the same class as Allen.  Problem is I t hink objective thought by Bean/McD might be clouded here because Edmunds was their first round pick.  Same problem with Ford, although on the hoof he does look like a tackle.  If I were Josh's negotiator, I would wait for the cap to go back up to get the best deal for him.  Josh will be paid, likely 20odd percent of the cap......easier way to think about it.  25% of 175 mil is about 40.  But, 25% of 200 is 50.......we'll see.

1 hour ago, gjv001 said:

Hopefully, Beane and his cap team are working on a strategy to keep Feliciano, Williams, and Milano.

I'd be surprised if they can keep all three without Morse or Brown being cut. 

48 minutes ago, appoo said:

You gotta understand that 80% of what the Bills OLine does is pass block, which basically hides Boettger. 

I don't believe this is a sustainable way of playing offense. Right now the Bills have an elite Z and an elite slot.  That's why the Bills can drop back 75% of the time and pass and still win. You actually saw the consequences of that against the Ravens, when Beasley wasn't himself, the Bills offense had just a single TD against a defense with above average but not great secondary talent, and brought almost no extra pressure.  

Going forward, the Bills are going to require a functioning run game, and you're not going to get that with Ike Boetger as your starting guard IMO. 

I actually think the play would be to keep Mongo over Williams to help facilitate that, and maybe use a 2nd round pick on a RT or a veteran FA who's ok with a cheap deal on a winning team. 

Boettger is definitely better pass protecting than run blocking but this is a pass first offense and pass first offense it will stay. They have actually run the ball better with Ike in than they did with Ford in as well FWIW. There are other factor that play into that for sure but it is worth remembering. 

55 minutes ago, appoo said:

I suppose we could be at a disadvantage when our #2 and #4 WR's are banged up and we have to play a top end secondary in a windstorm. 

Luckily, that circumstance doesn't come around too often. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I suppose we could be at a disadvantage when our #2 and #4 WR's are banged up and we have to play a top end secondary in a windstorm. 

Luckily, that circumstance doesn't come around too often. 

There will be a different tune sung around here if we blow a lead this weekend late in the game because we are averaging 2.5 yards a carry when we need to kill the clock.

I don't watch the all-22 at this point so I try to take those folks word for it, but we don't run the ball well and it seems like opinions are split as to why. Morse is supposedly not good at run blocking but if he was the only one that was bad I would think we could scheme around it. It seems to me watching casually Boettger does have issues in the run game too. In order for us to get better something needs to change. I don't know if Boettger can put on some weight/strength to be better at it. 

I also look at Mongo and Williams and think it would have been a lot better to try and sign them earlier in the season if they were indeed what we are looking for on the oline. And maybe Beane did contact their respective agents to discuss what the contract should look like. With the run we're making these guys are going to get whatever they want in FA because they can pass block in a passing league. Beane may make an offer but I can't see how it would be market value because I don't think it's in the best interest of the long term competitiveness of the team.   

And in the end while I would like to keep Williams first and foremost, I think we will be relying on JA to manage getting rid of the ball quicker etc when some of our current oline are replaced.

1 hour ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Restructure Diggs.  Add a year to his deal and move money around.  I head Joe Marino on his show say this.  Buffalo would save 10 million on the cap in the scenario he laid out.  

They already moved money around when he was signed to move it more upfront.  The problem is when a player gets more money up front it is less disincentive to honor contract signed on back end.

16 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I also look at Mongo and Williams and think it would have been a lot better to try and sign them earlier in the season if they were indeed what we are looking for on the oline. And maybe Beane did contact their respective agents to discuss what the contract should look like. With the run we're making these guys are going to get whatever they want in FA because they can pass block in a passing league. Beane may make an offer but I can't see how it would be market value because I don't think it's in the best interest of the long term competitiveness of the team.   

Mongo made comment that the Bills did not rush him back when he was injured.  I am sure this will be a factor in how he evaluates offers.

14 hours ago, purple haze said:

They like having a blocking tight end and none of who they have is better at it than Smith.  He’s not expensive.  Don’t count on him getting let go.

He can also turn on the jets for some big chunk plays

14 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Eh, he is over $3mil I believe. 

14 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

Helluva time we live in where Lee Smith gets 3 mil a year. Im not bashing him(okay maybe a little), i know he is a fine blocker. But dam...

If you both want Lee Smith gone that's your choice but the fact is his 2021 Cap hit is $2.25.

He's going to camp for sure and will battle for a spot after a pretty good (better than I expected) 2020 season.

43 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Mongo made comment that the Bills did not rush him back when he was injured.  I am sure this will be a factor in how he evaluates offers.

I understand and there is all the culture stuff and the winning etc.

It's a business though, and I couldn't blame Mongo for going for a big payday since he really hasn't had one.

I think we may need to get used to former Bills coming back after their big money contract ends as the new "Carolina connection"

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

If you both want Lee Smith gone that's your choice but the fact is his 2021 Cap hit is $2.25.

He's going to camp for sure and will battle for a spot after a pretty good (better than I expected) 2020 season.

I stand corrected on the cap figure, and we will see about him being back. Nobody knows the future. 

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I think the Bills would love to have Smith back. It will come down to whether they think they can spare that cash. They have to weigh it up against if they can't the saving is likely only $1m or thereabouts because I am convinced they'd bring another vet blocking tight end in. 

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the Bills would love to have Smith back. It will come down to whether they think they can spare that cash. They have to weigh it up against if they can't the saving is likely only $1m or thereabouts because I am convinced they'd bring another vet blocking tight end in. 

Funny that earlier in the year I was calling for Lee Smith to be let go and you made good points on keeping him.

I have ate my crow after seeing his play this year.  He did a very good job.

I see him going to camp regardless of the money.  Like you said the savings v his replacement in small.

I'm sticking with what I believe to be the plan.  Nate Becker and/or some other cheap blocking TE will battle with Lee for the blocking TE position.

Bills have peanuts invested in the TE position and there will be a lot of players this coming year fighting for every position other than Knox's.

IMO.

1 hour ago, QLBillsFan said:

Morse, Star, Matakevich, Gaines cut create about 23m. That keeps Milano and Willams. Likely the least painful way to do it. Unless you keep Star over Butler or Jefferson. 

Star will stay.  Even as a post-June 1st cap cut, he'll only save $500K.

7 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Our pass pro was absolutely amazing this year, especially when you think what the prevailing opinion of it was before the season.

I would like to see Beane focus/ take a flyer on some maulers who downhill block better than pass protect. 
    I realize our backs need an upgrade too but we need to create the ability to run earlier in games.

Why?