Let’s talk Ike Boettger

gonzo1105

I was just thinking how he has kind of gone unheralded this year. Dude has been nothing but rock solid and had been nothing but overlooked with Spain, Ford, and Winters getting the early reps and playing time. 

With the cap being tight next year he will be a very cheap starter at LG. So that begs the question, does that mean the highly likable Feliciano walks so Ford can slot at RG and resign Williams?

Do we sign both Feliciano and Williams for continuity and trade Ford? I find it to be an interesting discussion. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He is the glue that holds the line together. 

Dawkins, WIlliams and Mungo have been stellar all year. But Morse and Winters were the weak link. Once he moved in alongside Morse, suddenly the middle of the OL has looked so so solid. He has made Morse better no doubt. Allen has had all day to throw.

I'd keep all of em. Continuity is good on the Oline. And Ford will have a role when he returns since the Oline is always vulnerable to injuries.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5

Beans collects offensive lineman in the offseason like a kid in a candy store. Every year he snatches up vets and young talents. The past few years he’s flipped a few players for late round draft picks, and I expect this trend to continue. 

I don’t see any immediate trades being pursued once the new league year starts, but I fully expect him to try and retain all of the guys you listed AND bring in more competition across the board. 

• Like (+1) 7

5 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I was just thinking how he has kind of gone unheralded this year. Dude has been nothing but rock solid and had been nothing but overlooked with Spain, Ford, and Winters getting the early reps and playing time. 

With the cap being tight next year he will be a very cheap starter at LG. So that begs the question, does that mean the highly likable Feliciano walks so Ford can slot at RG and resign Williams?

Do we sign both Feliciano and Williams for continuity and trade Ford? I find it to be an interesting discussion. 

You resign both Feliciano and Williams, and let Boettger and Ford compete for the LG spot.  Boettger is a RFA this year, so you get him back on a cheap contract and use whoever loses the competition as your swing guard.  To date Ford has shown absolutely no ability to play RT in the NFL.  If he cant beat out a guy who was on the practice squad at one point for the LG spot,  he sits his butt on the bench until his contract is up.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think we cut Morse for the cap savings.

Dawkins - Ford - Feliciano - Boettger - Williams 

I mean I don’t disagree I guess the problem I see is Ford has shown very little as a starting OL in this league and I don’t think you can cut Morse until your sure on Ford 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t think you cut anyone on the line. Use Spain’s money and Winters to resign Feliciano. Nsekhe will be gone and cut Lee Smith, Yeldon’s contract get replaced with cheaper RB and apply some of that towards Williams. There should be enough money from other areas to keep the oline intact. 
Ike  has been serviceable but Ford for sure will get a shot to start. Hopefully Fords third season will be as good as Dawkins.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

3 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I mean I don’t disagree I guess the problem I see is Ford has shown very little as a starting OL in this league and I don’t think you can cut Morse until your sure on Ford 

If not Ford, I'm sure they'll sign some other mid level salary guy for competition.  It's how we got Feliciano.  They'll make it a true competition at the guard spots.

2 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I don’t think you cut anyone on the line. Use Spain’s money and Winters to resign Feliciano. Nsekhe will be gone and cut Lee Smith, Yeldon’s contract get replaced with cheaper RB and apply some of that towards Williams. There should be enough money from other areas to keep the oline intact. 

They like having a blocking tight end and none of who they have is better at it than Smith.  He’s not expensive.  Don’t count on him getting let go.

• Like (+1) 2

I don’t understand the sudden movement to get rid of John Brown & Mitch Morse for cap savings. All we have to resign are Feliciano, Daryl Williams & Matt Milano. 

Will be hard to figure it out with a tight cap, but there’s still draft picks to replace one of them if they have to walk. Whatever the answer, whether it be draft picks or restructures, I doubt the Bills will cut a quality starter in either Morse or Brown. 

As for the question, resign both Feliciano & Williams if possible. Let Ford start at the beginning of the year in a big prove it year, and pull him in favor of Boettger if need be. 

Dawkins - Feliciano - Morse - Ford - Williams with Boettger as an insurance policy if Ford doesn’t pan out should be just fine. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, elijah said:

I don’t understand the sudden movement to get rid of John Brown & Mitch Morse for cap savings. All we have to resign are Feliciano, Daryl Williams & Matt Milano. 

Will be hard to figure it out with a tight cap, but there’s still draft picks to replace one of them if they have to walk. Whatever the answer, whether it be draft picks or restructures, I doubt the Bills will cut a quality starter in either Morse or Brown. 

As for the question, resign both Feliciano & Williams if possible. Let Ford start at the beginning of the year in a big prove it year, and pull him in favor of Boettger if need be. 

Dawkins - Feliciano - Morse - Ford - Williams with Boettger as an insurance policy if Ford doesn’t pan out should be just fine. 

i don’t really see Morse, Brown I can def see. They are set obviously with Beasley and Diggs. I think the emergence of Gabe Davis , the signing of Kenny Stills, and still having the possibility of McKenzie and Hodgins in the wings could spell the end for Brown  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, purple haze said:

They like having a blocking tight end and none of who they have is better at it than Smith.  He’s not expensive.  Don’t count on him getting let go.

unless something goes down Lee Smith is back next year. He’s not that expensive and does his job extremely well. He’s also good for at least 1-2 hilariously open TDs because no one thinks to cover him. 

• Agree 2

Just now, gonzo1105 said:

i don’t really see Morse, Brown I can def see. They are set obviously with Beasley and Diggs. I think the emergence of Gabe Davis , the signing of Kenny Stills, and still having the possibility of McKenzie and Hodgins in the wings could spell the end for Brown  

I could see where fans are getting excited about Davis, but with only one year left on Brown’s contract I think Beane will honor it and see it through. Maybe a similar restructure to Tyler Kroft, ensuring Brown that he makes the roster but cutting away some of the cap hit with that promise. 

Davis has been flashy at times but not quite consistent, it’s easy to forget the deep threat that Brown provides and the 1,000 yard season he just had because he’s been battling injuries all year. Let’s not forget we’re ultimately trying to keep up with the Chiefs here and a 4th legitimate receiver can pay dividends when trying to score 35 points per game. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, purple haze said:

And he has made a difference in a few games.  Certainly more than the poster who created a "Birthday thread" for him.

BTW Lee Smith has had Zer0 penalties this year; rest of TEs in NFL 186.

https://www.nflpenalties.com/position/tight-end?year=2020

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think we cut Morse for the cap savings.

Dawkins - Ford - Feliciano - Boettger - Williams 

Something tells me the run game would improve with those 5. Ford is definitely a guard, and could be a really good one.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Kenny Stills may be just a comp pick for Bills. He has not even signed a contract for next year.