Zack Moss ankle surgery

YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

Did you mean fibula?

Yes , fibula as femur is the thigh bone above the knee. This procedure stabilizes the ankle mortise ( joint composed of smaller non weight  bearing fibula , talus which allows the ankle to dorsiflex up and plantar flex down like pushing a gas pedal, and larger weight bearing tibia) so there is no lateral ( side to side) movement.  There is a ligament or interosseous membrane of connective tissue that stabilizes or holds the fibula and tibia together so there is no large gap between them and provides stability against torsion or twisting forces between those two lower leg bones. In a High ankle sprain , that membrane or interosseous ligament is disrupted requiring long healing periods and is responsible for pain , edema , etc being worse than the more common grade 1 of 2  sprains seen when someone one rolls their ankle. Think of stepping off a curb wrongly as Your foot rolls inward toward your other foot and you get pain and swelling along the outside o your ankle.  Those sprains heel within 2-4 weeks.

Add a torquing force transmitted above the ankle joint itself and the tibia / fibula syndesmosis ( fibrous material / joint ) gets  separated or torn going up the middle part of the shin area,resulting in instability with any lateral ( side to side ) force applied to the ankle.  Imagine how a running back has to stop and cut and imagine how much force that would create to either side of the ankle depending on the direction he was cutting.  So to stabilize those two bones against lateral forces, they drill a hole , through and through, each bone ( tibia/ fibula, 2 holes in each in a straight line), thread a cable thru the holes with “ buttons” on the ends of the cable and draw the cable tight to prevent either tibia or fibula from moving laterally. Once healed , you have a tight ankle joint ( mortise) that would be much less likely to roll,sprain etc , but still has up/ down normal movement!   And without the multiple screws  that you might see in a compound fractured ankle.   Amazing orthopedic technology. Moss will be great next year and this procedure will increase his ypc to 6-7!  ( jk😀,but he should heal more quickly and get back to his normal business decision self).  

DrPJax wish doctors paid enough attention to my ankle as you seem to know.  For eight years I went to different doctors for ankle issue and each gave me a different reason. Eventually I was driving and could not move ankle and needed to use left foot to drive. One doctor declared it psychosomatic because he could not find issue and was not qualified to make that diagnosis.  Last doctor I saw thought it was Plantar fasciitis and put me in a boot and to soften the muscle.  In a couple days I was almost crippled and he scheduled me a MRI; he found a cyst size of a golf ball surrounding ankle bones, tendons, muscles and nerves and I was scheduled for surgery.  Due to 8 years of this my ankle components will never be completely healed and some days I need to use hand control.  Medicine is an art not a science.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Good article detailing what the "tightrope procedure" is, by Dr. Kyle Trimble ("Bangedup Bills")

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/1/20/22240345/buffalo-bills-injury-analysis-zack-mosss-ankle-surgery?utm_campaign=buffalorumblings&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

High-ankle sprains can take some time to recover from, with non-surgical approaches taking 6-8 weeks with potential long-term instability or risk to re-injure.  In the case of Moss, this injury was severe enough that surgery was warranted to help stabilize the area to ensure its healing.

While this is all great news, what is exactly a “tightrope” procedure? ....This procedure allows for the surgeon to implant a fibrous band with a button that attaches to the medial portion of the tibia through small holes in the bone in the tibia and fibula. The band is pulled back through to help stabilize the syndesmosis between the tibia and fibula, similar to a zip tie. This allows for better healing, improved function for rehab, and overall faster recoveries.

image.png.b0e68188a646b599684c585309dae40d.png

DrPJax above does a great job verbalizing but this article has a bunch of helpful pictures as well as a different description which may be more helpful for some (different ways of explaining work better for different people)

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2021 at 1:41 AM, Limeaid said:

DrPJax wish doctors paid enough attention to my ankle as you seem to know.  For eight years I went to different doctors for ankle issue and each gave me a different reason. Eventually I was driving and could not move ankle and needed to use left foot to drive. One doctor declared it psychosomatic because he could not find issue and was not qualified to make that diagnosis.  Last doctor I saw thought it was Plantar fasciitis and put me in a boot and to soften the muscle.  In a couple days I was almost crippled and he scheduled me a MRI; he found a cyst size of a golf ball surrounding ankle bones, tendons, muscles and nerves and I was scheduled for surgery.  Due to 8 years of this my ankle components will never be completely healed and some days I need to use hand control.  Medicine is an art not a science.

very interesting stuff bro, thanks for sharing.  i never really considered the last statement of the post but that will always kick around in my head now.  somewhat unrelated but, i had my right arm amputated halfway between my elbow and shoulder early 2020. anywho, i had a full sleeve of tattoos on it.  the surgeon who sewed me back up did  a really awesome job trying to sew my skin back together where my sleeve was, that it looks like i got it done AFTER my amputation.  a few days after he came in to check how it was healing, surgeon was COVERED in tattoos, said he tried the best he could to reassemble them with a big smile and a wink.  ill never forget that, and your last sentence made me think of that.  hope youre feeling better brother, i deal with alot of day to day pain too brother

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

There has to be a more dignified way of getting carted off the field than being placed on freezing cold diamond plate in the bed of a John Deere Gator.

Oh, and a rather beat-up Gator to boot. 

Things never been the same since carting Mike Williams off the field lol

22 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

very interesting stuff bro, thanks for sharing.  i never really considered the last statement of the post but that will always kick around in my head now.  somewhat unrelated but, i had my right arm amputated halfway between my elbow and shoulder early 2020. anywho, i had a full sleeve of tattoos on it.  the surgeon who sewed me back up did  a really awesome job trying to sew my skin back together where my sleeve was, that it looks like i got it done AFTER my amputation.  a few days after he came in to check how it was healing, surgeon was COVERED in tattoos, said he tried the best he could to reassemble them with a big smile and a wink.  ill never forget that, and your last sentence made me think of that.  hope youre feeling better brother, i deal with alot of day to day pain too brother

I think if I was young I'd have my feet replaced with blades they are so bad now but that is not a solution when you are old and heal slowly.

Hurt my ankles again this morning but hopefully it is just scrapes although some are deep.

Due to COVID I have not been to podiatrist and even if I went she probably recommend therapy which my insurance company resists putting obstacles "Therapy Management" in way to make it difficult to schedule appointments.

It is to point it is difficult to drive for appointments even with my car which has hand controls.

Your amputation is worse than anything I have however and you have my sympathy.

• Thank you (+1) 1