Buffalo had the hardest path to the Conference Championship, but won't get any credit for it

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The truth is that the national media was pretty consistently picking the 5th seeded Ravens to beat the Bills last weekend.  Fairburn and Buscaglia are pretty well on the Bills bandwagon and don't seem to be picking against them anymore.  But they're part of the WNY media more than the national media.  I'm noticing it's the guys who cover the Bills closely are the only guys picking them.  That goes for the guy over at ESPN assigned to Buffalo, too.

But the Bills players were correct that the Ravens were the perceived favorites outside of the local WNY media and guys assigned to Buffalo.

For CBS Sports 6 out of 8 of the "experts" pick the Ravens. 

For ESPN 6 out of 9 picked the Ravens

For USA Today 5 out of 7 picked the Ravens

For Bleacherreport 2 out of 3 picked the Ravens

Florio and Simms both picked the Ravens over the Bills... and no one's going to say they're Bills haters by any means

Gregg Rosenthal picked the Ravens.

It's not a "made-up" narrative.

https://nflpickwatch.com/nfl/picks/su/experts/2020/19

60% of regular media "pickers" picked the Bills last week. 

Including the Athletic, Sports Illustrated, PFF, NBC, Cowherd, Baldinger, Cynthia Freelund. 

Again if you only look at the respected sources that didn't pick the Bills it will give you a slanted and inaccurate view.

6 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Is that really all you have left? Trying to wave a seniority flag? Whats next post count?

Nothing personal but thats weak. Try harder next time.

Its not about people not posting or having a discussion. Its about posters who consistently belittle or trash people for making a post that is completely valid.

Like before, this is more about you, then us.

We are not completely trashing people. We are disproving their theory. 

1 hour ago, cle23 said:

Universally, huh? Cleveland beat Indy pretty easily early in the year. Cleveland was the higher playoff seed. 

Football Outsiders is 1 metric. A bunch of power rankings and such had Cleveland ahead. 

I personally think Indy was the most overrated team pretty much all season longer. Cleveland beat them easily as you say and if they played tomorrow I'd take Cleveland again. Indy played a great game at Buffalo and for a 7th seed they were a pretty well balanced team but that game was as close as it was because the Bills were below their best. 

Edited by GunnerBill

1 hour ago, cle23 said:

Universally, huh? Cleveland beat Indy pretty easily early in the year. Cleveland was the higher playoff seed. 

Football Outsiders is 1 metric. A bunch of power rankings and such had Cleveland ahead. 

A bunch?

Define "a bunch" and post links. I would think "a bunch" would be more than 3.

Post 4.

1 hour ago, cle23 said:

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I personally think Indy was the most overrated team pretty much all season longer. Cleveland beat them easily as you say and if they played tomorrow I'd take Cleveland again. Indy played a great game at Buffalo and for a 7th seed they were a pretty well balanced team but that game was as close as it was because the Bills were below their best. 

Is it just slipping everyone's mind that the Colts also beat the #4 seed Titans and #1 seed Packers in consecutive games AFTER the aforementioned Cleveland loss???

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Is it just slipping everyone's mind that the Colts also beat the #4 seed Titans and #1 seed Packers in consecutive games AFTER the aforementioned Cleveland loss???

Not slipping my mind at all but I have been pretty consistent on the Colts all year. I think the are a nice, solid, balanced team but they have no "special" in my view and hence I believe them to have generally been slightly overrated. 

Cleveland while they have a bigger flaw than Indy in terms of their secondary do have a special in terms of that run game. I generally think the ceiling for teams with some special is higher than the ceiling for nice solid teams without.

Edited by GunnerBill

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

you just said Cleveland is better 

My personal view? Yea I think they are.

It is like the Bills and Chiefs. They are similar level teams and when you have similar level teams and you are asking that who is better question looking back at a head to head in that season is the best deciding factor you can have. Cleveland beat the Colts. The Chiefs beat the Bills. The Colts didn't get a second chance..... luckily for us the Bills do. 

Edited by GunnerBill

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

16? They monitor over 200 pickers..... 16 is just the first page. 

Good lord that's the most random bunch of names I've ever seen.

I also see things like "Yahoo users" and "ESPN picks" in there.

This doesn't exactly qualify as national media... just an argument you obviously want to win.

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

Good lord that's the most random bunch of names I've ever seen.

I also see things like "Yahoo users" and "ESPN picks" in there.

This doesn't exactly qualify as national media... just an argument you obviously want to win.

There are some random names in there, agreed. But I have provided a list of equally credible names to your list. If you only look at the ones who picked against the Bills it is much easier to whip yourself in a lather about disrespect that actually is not true.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

My personal view? Yea I think they are.

Well you're entitled to that, but most football people seem to disagree.

Cleveland was lucky to get a reeling Pittsburgh team in round 1 and then a twice injured Patrick Mahomes in round 2.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

There are some random names in there, agreed. But I have provided a list of equally credible names to your list. If you only look at the ones who picked against the Bills it is much easier to whip yourself in a lather about disrespect that actually is not true.

I looked through your list. The even slightly recognizable names are largely picking the Ravens

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Well you're entitled to that, but most football people seem to disagree.

Cleveland was lucky to get a reeling Pittsburgh team in round 1 and then a twice injured Patrick Mahomes in round 2.

Cleveland played an easier game at Pittsburgh than Indy played at Buffalo, for sure. 

I picked Cleveland to beat the Steelers (which was not the consensus it should be said) because they are better than Pittsburgh. I'd pick them straight up if they played the Colts again tomorrow as well. 

11 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I looked through your list. The even slightly recognizable names are largely picking the Ravens

NBC, The Atheltic, Cytnhia Freelund, Brian Baldinger (wasn't on the list but he was on the UK TV broadcast and picked the Bills), Cowherd, PFF.... okay ESPN and CBS generally liked the Ravens. That was not despite your attempt to suggest otherwise representative of some sort of national groundswell. It was pretty balanced and overall actually more pickers picked the Bills. 

On 1/19/2021 at 6:16 PM, GunnerBill said:

I don't get where the "they get no credit" narrative comes from. Everyone I watch, read and listen to is giving the Bills a ton of credit and deservedly so. There is that bozzo Nick Wright who likes playing a WWE heel type character but who else isn't giving them credit? 

The Bills could win the Super Bowl, gain the respect of nearly everyone, sans a few analysts and there will be a thread about it.  

Who tf cares?!  Just win!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chicken Boo said:

The Bills could win the Super Bowl, gain the respect of nearly everyone, sans a few analysts and there will be a thread about it.  

Who tf cares?!  Just win!

Correct. I have said it before about elements of this fanbase.... there isn't just a chip on the shoulder... it is the whole sack of potatoes. 

The Bills media coverage all season long in my view, but unquestionably the last two months, has been overwhelmingly positive. 

10 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

giphy.gif

"And yet the national media had also been picking the Bills. Buscaglia said the Bills thrive on it"

lol

I'm sure they have team meeting daily to chew over the "national media" postings.

10 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Just to let you know, Josh Allen said in a recent interview (I can't remember if it was the DP show or a post game interview or what) that he's been watching the national media.

They pay attention.

And if you think the negative or neglectful stuff isn't being used as fuel in some way, you're kidding yourself.

Now, the sign of a well-coached team is one that channels the attention properly.

Basically... ignore everything good said about you and pay extra attention to everything bad or any time you're "left out."

That's what "bulletin board material" means.

I don't think they're "worrying" about it.  

I bet they're using it as fuel, though.

Do you think that this well coached team has ever been told this by any member of the coaching staff?

Didn't you just post a quote saying they "thrive on" the national media "picking the Bills"?  So this is thriving against the coaching staff's direct instructions?  Will there be team fines for inappropriate/unauthorized  thriving? 

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

They ended the season with the same record.  According to FootballOutsiders' DVOA metric Indy was the 10th best team in the NFL and Cleveland was the 18th best.

The Colts were almost universally considered a better team than the Browns.

Even on Oct 12?  Got a link for that?

11 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

A bunch?

Define "a bunch" and post links. I would think "a bunch" would be more than 3.

Post 4.

You said universally considered better yet gave 1 example. Define "universally."

I'll post some links I found later but I'm on a phone right now. Once I have access to a PC I will do that.

Edited by cle23