Why this game will be different than week 6

6 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

The team that lost to the Chiefs in week 6 is very different than the one that goes to KC on Sunday, and this makes me very optimistic about how this one will turn out.

1.  Situation

This game was our 2nd in a row to be moved due to covid, and was played on a short week at 5 PM (following a game played 7PM on TUESDAY).  Conversely the Chiefs had 8 days to prepare. 

This was also the week that COVID hit our roster, with most of our TEs being placed on the covid reserve list.  

2.  Injuries

- Josh Allen hurt his non-throwing shoulder in the week 4 win over the Raiders.  He only missed 1 play, but I am convinced he was hurt worse than was let on.  The 2 games that immediately followed:

Game Completions Attempts Yards TDs INTs
Tennessee 26 41 263 2 2
KC 14 27 122 2 1

Other injured or impaired starters included John Brown, Matt Milano, Levi Wallace, Tremaine Edmunds and Jon Feliciano.   AJ Klein had not yet gotten up to speed on the defense.

3.  Schemes
On both offense and defense we were still figuring out who was doing what with who.  Especially defense.  

So this week WE have the extra day to rest/prepare.  We are as healthy as we've been all year.  The offensive and defensive rosters have all settled in and are well aware of their schemes and roles which are being executed at a high level.

👍 I like our chances too.

All the two about no run game

all the talk about our defense

wait hold up - before last week what was the talk?

ohhhh that’s right - “red hot Lamar jacksonnnn gonna light up buffalo!!!!!”

poof 3 points

i laugh all day at these “ohhh wow Kansas City looked good last week - effortless when Mahomes was in...”

it was Cleveland !!!  And before you give me “oh they are a good team”

no not their not.  They beat the crappy Steelers and had a terrible points for and against all year.  They were lucky to be in.

so for the chiefs to March up and down the field on Cleveland - sorry not impressed

mahomes and KC looked effective against mediocrity - but just like last week ?  That’s right this is going to be the best defense They have faced in at least 8 weeks.

and they have played TERRIBLE football - definitely beatable ball since about october

just like last week everyone is going to be making the “whhattt is this?” Face when buffalo proves to be the more dominant team one the field - “oh it’s because pat isn’t 110#!!!!”

not it’s just because - I’ll say it - buffalo is the better team - PERIOD!

buffalo 34-24 and it won’t be close after the third - late TD playing prevent 

go bills and gonna get that championship this year!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Health on defense is the biggest issue. White and Edmunds were still banged up, Milano was out and I think Wallace was out too if memory serves. 

Not to mention a lot of the new defensive linemen were somewhat new to each other and were still figuring how to play with each other as a unit.   

The team defense looks much different now than it did then.  With the exception of the Colts game, ever since the Arizona game the defense has consistently been a top 8 unit in the league.

15 hours ago, SCBills said:

Another piece to account for is Harrison Phillips.  He played his best game since the injury against the Ravens.

Dude balled out against the ravens win butler got hurt on that first drive and Philip’s came in it all changed from there

7 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

I want to win this game so badly. I just hope we don't get steam rolled. There wouldn't be a bigger let down than going in there and getting obliterated 

Hopefully not...This is the playoffs...Teams are matched up a lot more equally

14 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

On paper here is the tale of the tape:

Offense Buf = KC

Defense Buf = KC

ST Buf > KC

Coaching Buf < KC

Home field Buf < KC

Bills will need to have a dominant defensive performance.

Bills offense must finish drives with points and find yards and first downs to win time of possession. Josh Allen and the O must protect the football and leave the Chiefs with no short fields and gimme points.

ST must make more plays and this must be huge.

Coaching this must be a game where we go in with great scheme/plan and have a backup counter. 4th down, trick plays, the whole 9 yards. 

Bille Mafia gotta find some of the 16,000 tickets, we will need at least 1,000-4,000 fans if possible. If not, we must grab an early lead and take the crowd out of it.

Go Bills! 

I think McDemott will have to be aggressive go for some 4 downs because as we seen if you think Andy Reid want put you away think again 

I was very interested in seeing how Kansas City came out Sunday against the Browns. 

Despite their 14-2 record, the Chiefs have been barely squeaking by over the last 2+ months.  Each week they go through long stretches where they seem out of sync, and struggle to put points on the board.  For a team that has a reputation for being "totally unstoppable" on offense, they haven't managed a double-digit victory since November 1st (against the Jets). 

My initial thought was that maybe the Chiefs were just coasting through games, and could pretty much turn it on whenever necessary.  Once they hit the postseason, they would start rolling again.  But even in the Divisional Playoff round, they started very strong... then started settling for field goals, and gradually let the Browns back into the game.  That was before Patrick Mahomes went out of the game, so no excuses there.

No doubt the Chiefs are currently among the top 3 teams in the NFL (along with the Bills and Packers).  And they have a great chance of repeating as Super Bowl Champions.  But I don't agree with the idea that Kansas City is in some kind of elite tier over the rest of the NFL.  Just a few weeks ago, they struggled badly to defeat the 4-12 Atlanta Falcons.  

I'm 100% convinced that Josh Allen's "slump" during weeks 5-8 was due to his shoulder injury (which got almost no attention from the media).  The Bills have also done much better against the run since Matt Milano returned, and Tremaine Edmunds healed up.  The Bills have improved drastically as a team since that game in Week 6, while the Chiefs have seemingly gone the opposite direction.  Don't forget that Andy Reid also has a 2-5 record in conference championship games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, wjag said:

Early season wins and losses are just that.  early.  Holds true for both teams.  The teams facing off on Sunday are much better versions of themselves from earlier in the season.  The Bills will be better.  The Chiefs will be better.  The schemes are likely to be different.   The Chiefs out coached the Bills in that game.  Plain and simple.  How Buffalo adjusts defensively will be interesting to watch.  

Things I like.

1.  Bills 8 days between games, Chiefs 7.

2.  Mahomes not being able to practice for some if not all of this week.

3.  Mahomes has an unhappy toe

4.  Bills ST

5.  Bills DBs are taking the ball to the house

Things I don't like.

1.  Bills running game is all but abandoned.

2.  Bills WRs all seem to be nursing something.

3.  Road game with crowd noise

4.  An entire week of Will they Mahomes or Won't they Mahomes..  As if there is nothing else to talk about.

5.  Chiefs DLine creating genuine pressure on the QB.

Things I'm neutral on.

1.  Weather. 

2.  Place kickers.  Both will be kicking for their superbowl lives

3.  Head Coaches.  Feels like a push.  Good staffs on both teams.

Why worry about the running game? We haven’t really run the ball all year and we went what 13-3? That’s not who we are anymore. 

We are a pass first team, and teams know that. Nothing to be ashamed of. 

Edited by Nick the Greek

1 minute ago, Nick the Greek said:

Why worry about the running game? We haven’t really run the ball all year and we went what 13-3? That’s not who we are anymore. 

We are a pass first team, and teams know that. Nothing to be ashamed of. 

It would make the RPO more effective.  It would give our WRs a chance to drop/get a step on the DBs.  We just saw a 3 point half.  And then a TD drive when they mixed in some runs.  I'm not suggesting 30 carries, but 12-15 would be nice.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, wjag said:

Early season wins and losses are just that.  early.  Holds true for both teams.  The teams facing off on Sunday are much better versions of themselves from earlier in the season.  The Bills will be better.  The Chiefs will be better.  The schemes are likely to be different.   The Chiefs out coached the Bills in that game.  Plain and simple.  How Buffalo adjusts defensively will be interesting to watch.  

Things I like.

1.  Bills 8 days between games, Chiefs 7.

2.  Mahomes not being able to practice for some if not all of this week.

3.  Mahomes has an unhappy toe

4.  Bills ST

5.  Bills DBs are taking the ball to the house

Things I don't like.

1.  Bills running game is all but abandoned.

2.  Bills WRs all seem to be nursing something.

3.  Road game with crowd noise

4.  An entire week of Will they Mahomes or Won't they Mahomes..  As if there is nothing else to talk about.

5.  Chiefs DLine creating genuine pressure on the QB.

Things I'm neutral on.

1.  Weather. 

2.  Place kickers.  Both will be kicking for their superbowl lives

3.  Head Coaches.  Feels like a push.  Good staffs on both teams.

the chiefs have won their last 7-8 games by one score.  They aren’t dominant. 

when buffalo played them they weren’t 100% on defense with many injuries.KC win came down to only a couple of key plays...

1 3rdand long TD pass

2 3rd and long then 4 and a foot conversion that next got them a TD.

take away one and hold to a FG it’s still a one score game late.

on these and other drives the bills allowed them to convert on 3rd and 8+.  They need to stop and force punts.

their defense isn’t dominant

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Any RB in the NFL would have gashed us week 6, CEH wasn't getting touched at the line of scrimmage the entire game. 

CEH participated in practice today.  He will be closer to 100% than you think, as did and will Sammy Watkins.  The chiefs are getting healthy for this game and we have banged up receivers.  I hope we find a way to grind out a win!  go bills!!