Why this game will be different than week 6

The team that lost to the Chiefs in week 6 is very different than the one that goes to KC on Sunday, and this makes me very optimistic about how this one will turn out.

1.  Situation

This game was our 2nd in a row to be moved due to covid, and was played on a short week at 5 PM (following a game played 7PM on TUESDAY).  Conversely the Chiefs had 8 days to prepare. 

This was also the week that COVID hit our roster, with most of our TEs being placed on the covid reserve list.  

2.  Injuries

- Josh Allen hurt his non-throwing shoulder in the week 4 win over the Raiders.  He only missed 1 play, but I am convinced he was hurt worse than was let on.  The 2 games that immediately followed:

Game Completions Attempts Yards TDs INTs
Tennessee 26 41 263 2 2
KC 14 27 122 2 1

Other injured or impaired starters included John Brown, Matt Milano, Levi Wallace, Tremaine Edmunds and Jon Feliciano.   AJ Klein had not yet gotten up to speed on the defense.

3.  Schemes
On both offense and defense we were still figuring out who was doing what with who.  Especially defense.  

So this week WE have the extra day to rest/prepare.  We are as healthy as we've been all year.  The offensive and defensive rosters have all settled in and are well aware of their schemes and roles which are being executed at a high level.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Early season wins and losses are just that.  early.  Holds true for both teams.  The teams facing off on Sunday are much better versions of themselves from earlier in the season.  The Bills will be better.  The Chiefs will be better.  The schemes are likely to be different.   The Chiefs out coached the Bills in that game.  Plain and simple.  How Buffalo adjusts defensively will be interesting to watch.  

Things I like.

1.  Bills 8 days between games, Chiefs 7.

2.  Mahomes not being able to practice for some if not all of this week.

3.  Mahomes has an unhappy toe

4.  Bills ST

5.  Bills DBs are taking the ball to the house

Things I don't like.

1.  Bills running game is all but abandoned.

2.  Bills WRs all seem to be nursing something.

3.  Road game with crowd noise

4.  An entire week of Will they Mahomes or Won't they Mahomes..  As if there is nothing else to talk about.

5.  Chiefs DLine creating genuine pressure on the QB.

Things I'm neutral on.

1.  Weather. 

2.  Place kickers.  Both will be kicking for their superbowl lives

3.  Head Coaches.  Feels like a push.  Good staffs on both teams.

• Agree 4

35 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

The team that lost to the Chiefs in week 6 is very different than the one that goes to KC on Sunday, and this makes me very optimistic about how this one will turn out.

1.  Situation

This game was our 2nd in a row to be moved due to covid, and was played on a short week at 5 PM (following a game played 7PM on TUESDAY).  Conversely the Chiefs had 8 days to prepare. 

This was also the week that COVID hit our roster, with most of our TEs being placed on the covid reserve list.  

2.  Injuries

- Josh Allen hurt his non-throwing shoulder in the week 4 win over the Raiders.  He only missed 1 play, but I am convinced he was hurt worse than was let on.  The 2 games that immediately followed:

Tennessee 26 41 263 2 2
KC 14 27 122 2 1

Other injured or impaired starters included John Brown, Matt Milano, Levi Wallace, Tremaine Edmunds and Jon Feliciano.   AJ Klein had not yet gotten up to speed on the defense.

3.  Schemes
On both offense and defense we were still figuring out who was doing what with who.  Especially defense.  

So this week WE have the extra day to rest/prepare.  We are as healthy as we've been all year.  The offensive and defensive rosters have all settled in and are well aware of their schemes and roles which are being executed at a high level.

The only small point of disagreement is that our WR corps is not 100% healthy with Beasley being the worst off.

It’s different because we don’t have ten plus D starters and pack ups out or playing injured, it’s different because our QB isn’t in a shoulder harness from a separated shoulder. It’s different because their QB is injured with turf toe and a recent concussion..., I could go on, but I think y’all get the idea...

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

the health of our WR's is my number one concern.  

We also need a run game, I think daboll puts it in here.  The question is: if this staff does not trust Yeldon (he had fumble issues at one point?), then will they play Williams, or just roll with Singletary.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

the health of our WR's is my number one concern.  

We also need a run game, I think daboll puts it in here.  The question is: if this staff does not trust Yeldon (he had fumble issues at one point?), then will they play Williams, or just roll with Singletary.  

Which makes one wonder if Stills and/or Freeman will be put on the active roster

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

1.  Situation

2.  Injuries

Tennessee 26 41 263 2 2
KC 14 27 122 2 1

3.  Schemes

When I re-watched the Week 6 highlights, I couldn’t even recognize the Bills. The offensive Sets looked dramatically different. The playcalling was very different, on both sides of the ball, but especially on O. And the personnel looked different too. I am not sure who all was injured, but Josh Norman seemed to get a ton of snaps (maybe Levi was out), and the D-line rotation was different. 

I think this game will look nothing like the first time around. I think both teams will figure out ways to throw the ball a lot more. And there is no chance the chiefs run the ball as much or as effectively. The Bills scheme and personnel is a lot better. Not saying they will shut CEH down— but he is not going to have gaping holes every play. 

• Like (+1) 2

What gives me hope is the Chiefs didn’t as much beat the Browns but rather they survived the Browns.  Call it rust or call it ennui, they sure as heck didn’t look invincible.  

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Another thing is CEH, who gashed them for 161 yards at 6.2 YPC will be out or not 100%.

I think he practiced all last week.  I’d be shocked if he wasn’t a go.  

• Like (+1) 1

On paper here is the tale of the tape:

Offense Buf = KC

Defense Buf = KC

ST Buf > KC

Coaching Buf < KC

Home field Buf < KC

Bills will need to have a dominant defensive performance.

Bills offense must finish drives with points and find yards and first downs to win time of possession. Josh Allen and the O must protect the football and leave the Chiefs with no short fields and gimme points.

ST must make more plays and this must be huge.

Coaching this must be a game where we go in with great scheme/plan and have a backup counter. 4th down, trick plays, the whole 9 yards. 

Bille Mafia gotta find some of the 16,000 tickets, we will need at least 1,000-4,000 fans if possible. If not, we must grab an early lead and take the crowd out of it.

Go Bills! 

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

yeah but 

yeah t didn’t end well for him IIRC

Technically he did win and the avengers ended up beating the younger version of him (similar to week 6 Josh).

Avengers cheated. We ain't playing the pats so there's that. 

Edited by The Wiz
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

On paper here is the tale of the tape:

Offense Buf = KC

Defense Buf = KC Defense Buf > KC
ST Buf > KC

Coaching Buf < KC Coaching Buf = KC

Home field Buf < KC
Bills will need to have a dominant solid defensive performance.

Bills offense must finish drives with points and find yards and first downs to win time of possession. Josh Allen and the O must protect the football and leave the Chiefs with no short fields and gimme points.

ST must make more plays and this must be huge. Hyperbole

Coaching this must be a game where we go in with great scheme/plan and have a backup counter. 4th down, trick plays, the whole 9 yards.  We only need to play good football, not think in terms of desperation.

Bille Mafia gotta find some of the 16,000 tickets, we will need at least 1,000-4,000 fans if possible. If not, we must grab an early lead and take the crowd out of it. Bills Mafia is irrelevant here. The Bills quality of play will not be affected by the crowd.

Go Bills! 

I appreciate your breakdown and the thought you put into it. I think differently.

I do not believe that “special things” need to happen for the Bills to prevail. I believe we can win simply by playing good, disciplined football. The past 12 weeks show how good we are. The Chiefs are neither scary nor superior. In fact, they should be anxious about Sunday’s game.

• Thank you (+1) 1