Do you like the term “Bills Mafia”?

Lionel Hutz

Bills Mafia   

394 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like using the term Bills Mafia?

• Yes
    • No

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I voted "No". 

That said, I recognize that the term has caught on and will continue to be used whether or not I like it.

Likewise.   I won’t be buying any shirts or hats sporting the mafia moniker, but  nothing I can do about it except try and ignore it.

It is clear by the poll numbers that it is not universally accepted and loved by the Bills fan base.  I would have thought the numbers would be more 80/20 in favor of it based on how the local newscasts use it excessively.  

Edited by BTB

No... But it's not going anywhere, so... 

Never really understood the glorification of the italian mafia, being proud to be a POS- but whatever. It's not entirely unfitting, we will not be gracious winners and we weren't gracious losers either.

The only time any of that I take note of that fan stuff is when the National media has Ray Liotta do a voiceover showing our fans with the mustard and the tables like they know who we are. 

And at some point I’d like our fans to stop crying on post games shows when the Bills win, or bring up how their Dad died watching the Bills in his chair, or how their brother was an addict and overcame drugs because he watched the Bills. I don’t need to be told over and over again by elder fans to enjoy this because you never know when it will end. 

I don’t need Nate Geary asking 26 times is this real. We have a good team, we have a good Front Office.

Don’t need 25 year old Joe Debiasi, Lou Debiasi and Johnny Simon representing the next generation of fans.

More discussions about how to win games and less discussions about where you were in 1990/1991 and pinching yourself and reminding yourself this is real. 

It gets old, just my opinion.

• Dislike 1

7 hours ago, sirebors said:

Just like the name of our city isn't derived from the animal that we proudly display on our teams helmet.

No buffalo are native to the Americas. The picture is actually of a bison.

The only problem is, no bison ever inhabited this area either.

The name of our city and our team is actually derived from the French phrase "Beau Fleuve," meaning beautiful river.

So our team should maybe be the "Beautiful River Bills." 

Probably the "Beautiful River Williams" if we are trying to be as clear and complete as possible, or even "Beautiful River William Frederick Codys"

As one of our many resident Italian-American experts here, I can say I take no offense to the term, and after its heavy and complex portrayal by Hollywood, I think it can be used without prejudice, so the only question is whether it is cool or dumb

If I were part of a focus group for an ad agency prior to release of a marketing campaign, I might lean slightly against it, but now that it is out there and a nationally known group of fun, silly, dedicated, loyal fans doing cool things for children's hospitals and folding tables everywhere, I think it can stick around, and I give it my thumbs up.

• Like (+1) 1

I hate it; has negative thug connotations, and most of all, because it was coined by people outside WNY who have nothing to do with the Bills.

These are the same people who think Buffalo is somewhere in "Upstate NY".

👎

38 minutes ago, Koufax said:

Probably the "Beautiful River Williams" if we are trying to be as clear and complete as possible, or even "Beautiful River William Frederick Codys"

And we could possibly be the "Beautiful River Boys" or "Beautiful River Brotherhood."

Edited by sirebors

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Once the domed stadium is built, the corporate types will take over with wine and cheese tastings instead of bowling ball shots.  Look for 'Buffalo Now!' as the name.  Table diving replaced by business card exchange networking meetings prior to games, and those will be strictly electronic.  It will be like when Sam sold 'Cheers' to the corporation. 😳

Are those high level meetings?

• Haha (+1) 1

I associate the word with criminal enterprise so I don't really see its appeal. I get the undertone of "us vs them," but other in-group monikers are available, so why choose this one? What, are we supposed to mutter stuff like, "Mahomes sleeps with the fishes" or "Either Allen's signature will be on the long-term contract or his brains"? It's a little cringe-inducing.

• Haha (+1) 1

Did not like at first, neutral now. 

The issue is the narrative that all Bills fans jump through tables, douse themselves in condiments, etc.  If people want to do those things, that is their decision.

I do think the narrative is changing to it meaning a passionate fan base and if so, I will be all in.

Nobody had a problem with Pancho Billa having a moniker associated with a Mexican revolutionary.  What’s the big deal now?  We’ve made “mafia” kinda warm and cuddly. 

Maybe the Washington Football Team could accomplish the same thing by calling their fans “Insurrectionists”. 🤣

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I'm indifferent about it - it is unique and has taken hold nationally, so there's that.  

The thing I'm getting just a little tired of is every commentator doing their riff on the "wacky Bills Mafia" thing with a forced chuckle.  Nothing against the mustard guy, but he gets a bit too much focus.  

3 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Considering Buffalo Bill was an iconic figure of the American West, I would prefer Bills Posse to Bills Mafia.

Some would find issues with the term "posse". Personally, I don't have a problem with the term "Bills Mafia". There is a historical link in the name, embrace it and let's move on. On to Kansas City!! 

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Anyone who equates mafia with a criminal organization is a fool?

Anyone who equates “Bills Mafia” with the criminal organization is a fool. Come on, you know what we’re talking about.