Do you like the term “Bills Mafia”?

Lionel Hutz

Bills Mafia   

394 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like using the term Bills Mafia?

• Yes
    • No

“I think that the rest of the country equates the term "Bills Mafia" with a somewhat lovable and quirky football team fanbase.  Images of broken tables, bowling ball shots, and increasingly, generous charitable contributions come to mind.  

There is no conception of guns or other violent mayhem.”

^^^^^^^^
THIS to me, is correct!

It differentiates among the NFL fan bases, to describe a fun loving and goofy but strong family type bond inherent in the org. It stands out! Originally, I thought WTF!

But, as I inch closer to 70 and recall all the zany, goofy, stupid, insane... maybe even slightly criminal things WE did, during the Glory Years, if I told you I’d have to make you sleep with the fishes! 😂😜🎉👍🏈🍻

Soooo... no time to go all in on “get off my lawn” time! These Bills fans have made a BIG name for themselves and starting at 6p.m. Sunday, it’s gonna be a lot more yuuuuuuuge!

Off the wall interviews, antics, vids, etc., 

LOVE IT! GO BILLS MAFIA & GO BILLS!

It's insensitive towards Italians... if we can 't have the Cleveland Indians or Washington Redskins, then we shouldn't have Bills Mafia... it glorifies violence, demonizes an entire ethnicity, and creates bad optics for the Bills organization.     We need to be better.    We CAN do better.   For the sake of our ancestors and future generations we MUST do better.    Therefore I propose a new name, Bills Dagos.

Edited by pi2000
  • Haha (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Love it. Loose translation of mafiusu from Sicilian dialect  means “ bravado, swagger , or boldness” it’s unique to Bills fans and I liked it the first time I heard it. 

Given that it was coined in 2010, at the time the Bills were (I think) 1-8 on their way to a 4-12 season, and at a time when they were coached by the guy - Chan Gailey - with the least swagger of anyone this side of Dick Jauron - wasn't the name more ironic than anything else? I guess Fitzy and Stevie had some swagger.

Whatever, I hate it, but mostly because it's associated with a particular type of stereotypical Buffalo fan.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Bad Things said:

I cringe every time an announcer says Bills Mafia.

Yeah, I know a lot of fans like it, but I think it's totally lame and embarrassing.  

Bills family? Sure!

Bills Mafia?  No grazie!

Contrary to what I heard an announcer try and stumble over the other day, Mafia is not the Italian word for family. 

• Like (+1) 1

What is more important to me is what the name 'Bills Mafia' represents around the country more then the actual name itself.

I think when you think about how that is changed now that the Bills have been winning big: Amazing fan base and in many ways a generous fan base with the way that many have been giving to charities.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

The term, no.

The idea, yeah.

Would I worry about it for a single second, no.

This. /thread

Seems to really p*ss in peoples cheerios. It's a dumb name, but its our name. That's how nicknames work lol sometimes you like em, sometimes ya don't, but the more you fight it the more your friends that are gunna call you it 😆

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I agree. But the term was mostly used to describe the drunk table jumpers not the fan base that could pack away stadiums and donate hundreds of thousands of dollars. As I said above, maybe it’s changing.

Honestly, the guys crashing tables on some of the original videos are probably some of the guys donating money now. The table crashing is a side effect of being young. 

Edited by SirAndrew

11 hours ago, wiseman3 said:

Some of you need to lighten up...in no way are people associating Bills Mafia with the actual Mafia, which by the way isn't really a major thing anymore anyways. Thats like saying you are offended by the Minnesota Vikings name because Vikings once killed/pillaged your ancestral families land. Lol, its just a name. A vast majority of people, players, staff members embrace it and welcome it. Everyone here just seems grumpy

Hey now,  I’m 1/64 Swedish and can’t stand the use of the term Vikings. It portrays my ancestors in a negative manner as ignorant, ruthless barbarians. They were actually a diverse coalition that included educated men, philosophers, and poets who were also capable of running a complex and just society. 

That’s basically how people sound when they take this stuff too seriously. 

I really disliked it at first because it arose in defense of stupid comments from losing-culture-super-spreader/dog park douche-baggerist Stevie Johnson.

But I always wanted Bills fans to basically create their own entity separate from the team itself.........kinda' like the way Cubs fans had long bonded to each other by embracing the shared experience of getting together and attending/watching their teams games even though they KNEW that the cheap-ass and usually incompetent Cubs ownership wasn't going to put a championship grade product on the field very often.    Bills fans have united around it and that is a very important development,  we can't have people like @Stank_Nasty blowing off December games because the games are meaningless.......so there needs to be an understood reason to be there beyond the results.

"Bills mafia" as a standalone is (as @dayman says) about as corny as could be..........but SJ13 support aside its root is in sarcasm toward the comment from Schefter......which buys it some space.

I found it amusing and inevitable that the Bills needed control of it.........and I don't blame them and since they are committed to winning I want them to make every cent they can off of it.   Long term it has massive income potential because you can be 100% behind Bills Mafia even if you aren't pleased with the team itself.    It's performance-proof.

I've embraced it because it is in the best interest of the family.........as any honorable member should do.

4 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Does anybody else remember the Ball Burglars era?  That one didn't take off too well lol

We were so bad to mediocre during that era that I thought it might have been more effective charity to be the “Turd Burglars”. Every time Trent Edwards or JP Losman threw an interception you pay a fine by making a donation. 

• Haha (+1) 1