Do you like the term “Bills Mafia”?

Lionel Hutz

Bills Mafia   

394 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like using the term Bills Mafia?

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I agree. But the term was mostly used to describe the drunk table jumpers not the fan base that could pack away stadiums and donate hundreds of thousands of dollars. As I said above, maybe it’s changing.

No. This is just made up in your mind.  Some people use the term to describe fans that jump through tables.   It’s MOSTLY used to describe Bills fans. it’s the term everyone uses when they talk about the bills and their fans.  

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No. This is just made up in your mind.  Some people use the term to describe fans that jump through tables.   It’s MOSTLY used to describe Bills fans. it’s the term everyone uses when they talk about the bills and their fans.  

Exactly.  When I was stationed in Okinawa, I got to meet Steven Jackson and of course, I was decked out in Bills attire.  As I was walking up to him, he shouts, "HEY, BILLS MAFIA."  He didn't say it, referencing the motto as a "table jumper."  He was telling me about how loyal and dedicated Bills fans are.  

• Like (+1) 2

unequivocally yes. 

I dont go in for the table smashing, leave your trash, overly drunk idiot thing.

But thats not all that he mafia is. We are so much more than that. The sports world is starting to finally see that too with all the donations and its a wonderful thing. We are the most passionate fans in sports. 

the Mafia is all of us, and if you are a Bills fan you are part of it whether you want to admit it or not. 

Im wondering if this was a public vote how many no's would be changed to yes.  But for kicks lets break this down in how Mafia is defined

1. an organized international body of criminals, operating originally in Sicily and now especially in Italy and the US and having a complex and ruthless behavioral code.
  2. a closed group of people in a particular field, having a controlling influence.

If you look at it as #2 then there is no problem with the term.

Now lets look deeper into the origins of the word Mafia

Origins

The term "mafia" was originally applied only to the Sicilian Mafia and originates in Sicily, but it has since expanded to encompass other organizations of similar methods and purpose, e.g., "the Russian Mafia" or "the Japanese Mafia". The term is applied informally by the press and public; the criminal organizations themselves have their own terms

The more commonly accepted, dictionary-defined meaning says: The word mafia derives from the Sicilian adjective mafiusu, which, roughly translated, means 'swagger', but can also be translated as 'boldness' or 'bravado'

how you wish to look at the word Mafia is on you. I have no problem with it

I've grown to like it.  At first, like many, the term mafia made me cringe.  Then I came to accept it as a term for Bills fans, generally stereotyped by drunken behavior - not great but I can relate.  Now that is changing.

Since the whole Cincy donation thing, it has turned really cool, IMO.  A different vibe has been achieved.  Pride comes through from amounts given to charity in its name.  The last one where the Bills Mafia gave pretty much 10x the amount L Jackson gave.  I've moved away from the area and it is a source of pride to point to those things from my home area.  It's been a unique twist on the fan function.

7 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I've grown to like it.  At first, like many, the term mafia made me cringe.  Then I came to accept it as a term for Bills fans, generally stereotyped by drunken behavior - not great but I can relate.  Now that is changing.

Since the whole Cincy donation thing, it has turned really cool, IMO.  A different vibe has been achieved.  Pride comes through from amounts given to charity in its name.  The last one where the Bills Mafia gave pretty much 10x the amount L Jackson gave.  I've moved away from the area and it is a source of pride to point to those things from my home area.  It's been a unique twist on the fan function.

This is exactly how I feel. Didn't care for it at first but it's better than your generic "Bills Nation". And considering the explosion of media exposure on the moniker I will run with it. Now if we could just get a horses head in Patrick's bed?  

• Like (+1) 1