Do you like the term “Bills Mafia”?

Lionel Hutz

Bills Mafia   

394 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like using the term Bills Mafia?

• Yes
    • No

I like it.  It's unique to the Bills.  Other cities have a XXX Nation. (Colts Nation, Chargers Nation are two I checked actually exist, and there are more I'm sure.)

Bills Mafia suggests a strong common bond.  And we're EVERYWHERE.  I've lived in eight states and traveled in almost all of them, and whenever I wear a Bills hat or shirt I get a "Go Bills" from someone.  Even here in Alaska. 

We don't send Big Tony out to break legs, or demand protection money, and no one thinks we do, so I think the possible negative connotation is nothing to worry about.

• Like (+1) 2

I’m pretty sure the country doesn’t see or hear Bills Mafia and instantly connect or think we are some mastermind criminal organization out there committing crimes.  So why some people get so uptight or offended over the use of this term strikes me as humorous. The Bills organization and the owners themselves have gleefully embraced this moniker. Any Bills fan can now buy all kinds of Bills Mafia gear. Shirts, hats, helmets etc. It’s here to stay and isn’t going anywhere now. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I would’ve preferred “The Buffalo Yakuza” - opportunity MISSED.

Have you been watching Hawaii Five 0 reruns?

It doesn’t really matter as it’s not changing.  I like that we have a unique identifier.  I have one of my face masks as a bills one and get comments down here all the time in the phrase.  It’s grown on me over time.  It’s funny as so many tell me how nuts our fans are compared to other teams.

3 hours ago, sirebors said:

Do you think the rest of the country equates Mafia to swagger or to a criminal organization that used intimidation and murder as a means to an end? 

I think that the rest of the country equates the term "Bills Mafia" with a somewhat lovable and quirky football team fanbase.  Images of broken tables, bowling ball shots, and increasingly, generous charitable contributions come to mind.  

There is no conception of guns or other violent mayhem.

Like many, I didn't love the term at first but its growing on me and we may as well embrace it, its now our unique brand. 

Edited by BillnutinHouston
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, loedward22 said:

I wasn't a fan at first, but as it's embedded itself I've grown to like it.  I have a fondness towards Bills fans, and that's what we are known as... so I now have a fondness towards it.

This is where I am.  Just embrace it at this point.  It's better than "xxxx nation" that everyone uses.  The Seahawks stole our 12th man thing that we stole from Texas a&m.  It's a nice encapsulation of fans who support the team through russ brandon wormtongues drought, crazy jumping through flaming tables, raising tons of money for charity on a complete grassroots level, outstanding GameDay atmosphere etc...  we are unique as a group for a pro sports fan base.  It's nice we have a unique nickname.  

• Like (+1) 1

Not really a fan.  Considering what the Mafia stands for I always thought it was a little silly to be associated with a football teams fanbase.  I really miss the 12th Man days but I'll always be an old soul and miss that time period in life.  But I've also come to accept that name isn't going away anytime soon and it's like Marv Levy once said "If you don't change with the times, the times change you"   Just gotta roll with it.  First and foremost I consider myself a BILLS FAN, the Bills Mafia stuff is more of a gimmick 

Its not like your going to change it...so learn to love it.

I remember the first time I seen or heard of it back in 2008.

Some guys had a sign Bills Mafia in a private lot on Abbott Rd.

I thought cool they got their own little group name :)

3 hours ago, The_Real said:

Liked it the first time I heard it. I live out in ‘Bronco country’. How lame is that?

I live out in the "Red Sea"... (Arizona Cardinals)

They like to say "Rise up Red Sea!" and I puke in my mouth a little. Almost as bad as "Duuvvaaallll!"

• Haha (+1) 1

I dont really like it. For a long time I would push back on being apart of "The Mafia". Im not a fan that would argue on twitter or jump through tables the way I thought Mafia Members behaved. For a time it did feel like there was a real separation of "normal fans" and "mafia fans" in behavior and it was ok to delineate. But the term has grown so much, its become ubiquitous and it now associated with being a fan of the team so I guess I am now in the Mafia. I would prefer it went away but I dont think thats possible, probably just my age anyway. If the young kids like it, well, the future is theirs to make it how they want. I wont stand in their way.

Edited by jletha

I truly dislike the term.  I live in Wisconsin, a few years ago a when I went to the Bills/Packers game.  A Packer fan came up to me and started asking me if I was a member of the Bills Mafia and if jump through tables like the people on in the internet do.  I told him no and he kept following me anyways.  Hell, he only stopped following me because he saw someone wearing a OJ Simpson jersey and began to bug him.  However, I do agree that this term is not going away.  It has given the  people that use the term notoriety, through the players using it and members of the media using it.  I'm really not sure why every fan base needs a pet nickname for themselves (The Dawg Pound, Ravens Flock, Cheeseheads, Gang Green, etc..).  

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1