Do you like the term “Bills Mafia”?

Lionel Hutz

Bills Mafia   

394 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like using the term Bills Mafia?

• Yes
    • No

Now that the Bills are getting all this national attention the phrase seems to be brought up every time the Bills are discussed. It seems like the term is here to stay and will be forever associated with the Bills’ fanbase.

I’m curious to know how the fans here think about the term?

Personally I’ve never liked it and don’t understand why it ever became a thing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The word mafia derives from the Sicilian adjective mafiusu, which, roughly translated, means 'swagger', but can also be translated as 'boldness' or 'bravado'

Whats not to like?

We've got swagger after finally finding a stud QB after decades of searching, and nobody deserves it more.  Embrace it dude, it's just a word.    

P.S.   Worry about the KC game like the rest of us, they've got some mafiusu of their own in Arrowhead..............

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I am Italian, and I am not a fan.

Mafia is a sicilian criminal organization that spread all over the world, the original name is "Cosa Nostra" ("Our Thing").

It is a very old organization, a branch arrived in the States in the middle of XIX century and I think it is still operating.

Time ago it used to replace the state in the command of vast regions of South Italy but even now, in a lot of cities and small villages it is hard to open and manage a commercial/industrial activity without the Mafia "protection", that is, you have to pay a regular fee to them (the famous "pizzo").

It deals with the illegal trafficking of arms, drugs and prostitution.

It has, or it used to have, a very strict "code of honor", focused on loyalty, respect, brotherhood.

For these reasons it is often "mythologized" in books, fictions, especially outside of Italy, in a similar way as the japanese Yakuza.

But while I don't know much about japanese mafia, I know a lot about sicilian mafia, and I know that it handles its affairs with guns.

So, I get the term Bills Mafia in the "good" way, but I still don't like it.

Edited by PaoloBillsFanFromItaly
  • Like (+1) 18
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

34 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

The word mafia derives from the Sicilian adjective mafiusu, which, roughly translated, means 'swagger', but can also be translated as 'boldness' or 'bravado'

Whats not to like?

We've got swagger after finally finding a stud QB after decades of searching, and nobody deserves it more.  Embrace it dude, it's just a word.    

P.S.   Worry about the KC game like the rest of us, they've got some mafiusu of their own in Arrowhead..............

Um, Mafia is DERIVED from mafiusu in SICILY.  Mafiusu means swagger. Mafia does not. Last I checked this is America and not Sicily. And in America it means an organized body of criminals having a complex and ruthless behavioral code. Or an organized group using extortion and other criminal methods.

Do you think the rest of the country equates Mafia to swagger or to a criminal organization that used intimidation and murder as a means to an end? 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Some people need to lighten up a bit. If it was so bad national sports outlets wouldn't be using it all the time right now. I love the name and it's gotten so much press since we started reaching the playoffs over the last 4 years. It's so unique, we're so unique in that no other team's fans have/are getting so much air time on national tv. The NFL loves it, sports talk loves us,  hell even the announcers love us. And a lot of good has come from the people in Bills Mafia.The lastest.....

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, sirebors said:

Um, Mafia is DERIVED from mafiusu in SICILY.  Mafiusu means swagger. Mafia does not. Last I checked this is America and not Sicily. And in America it means an organized body of criminals having a complex and ruthless behavioral code. Or an organized group using extortion and other criminal methods.

Do you think the rest of the country equates Mafia to swagger or to a criminal organization that used intimidation and murder as a means to an end? 

Just like the name of our city isn't derived from the animal that we proudly display on our teams helmet.

No buffalo are native to the Americas. The picture is actually of a bison.

The only problem is, no bison ever inhabited this area either.

The name of our city and our team is actually derived from the French phrase "Beau Fleuve," meaning beautiful river.

So our team should maybe be the "Beautiful River Bills." 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1