I’m just penciling in Najee Harris to Buffalo in April

7 minutes ago, Mynamemike said:

Can you imagine this offense with an Alvin Kamara or Christian Mccaffrey style of running back.  It would be unstoppable.  We already use Singletary in that way, he just has no explosion  or top end speed to make defenses fear him.  

Good Lord, Alvin Kamara in Buffalo  😍...a 3rd round pick.

Like the Packers, the Saints have an pro bowl OT, OG.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Mynamemike said:

Can you imagine this offense with an Alvin Kamara or Christian Mccaffrey style of running back.  It would be unstoppable.  We already use Singletary in that way, he just has no explosion  or top end speed to make defenses fear him.  

Yes - adding an all-pro weapon typically would make the offense unstoppable.  Using a high pick on a running back this year would be insanely reckless imo.  

Ezekial elliot is a good case for this - he went from all-pro to all-crap.  What changed?  Probably the center retiring, and the 2 tackles missing the entire season injured, martin missing the final 5 weeks.  I'd even say prescott missing time harmed the run game.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Nihilarian said:

Good Lord, Alvin Kamara in Buffalo  😍...a 3rd round pick.

Like the Packers, the Saints have an pro bowl OT, OG.

We may not have multiple pro bowlers but our O-line is not a bunch of slouches.  I'd say Dawkins, Williams and Mongo are borderline pro bowlers, Morse is very solid.  I have no qualms with Bean and company spending a high draft pick on a game changing running back if that's the way the board falls on draft day.  

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Yes - adding an all-pro weapon typically would make the offense unstoppable.  Using a high pick on a running back this year would be insanely reckless imo.  

Ezekial elliot is a good case for this - he went from all-pro to all-crap.  What changed?  Probably the center retiring, and the 2 tackles missing the entire season injured, martin missing the final 5 weeks.  I'd even say prescott missing time harmed the run game.  

agreed, the mistake the Cowboys made was giving Zeke stupid money, that i don't think was smart but Zeke his first few years behind that Oline was just plain nasty. 

• Like (+1) 1

RB position is fine. Could use some more speed.

The issue is Center and Guard (less mongo).   

Morse is a good second line protect caller and a good pass protector. Lacks that power/leverage to be good at run blocking.  It seems from my view point.

Mongo is good, but I thinks lacks some mobility compared to pro bowl guards.

Williams - to me - is a good depth pick but not sure he is a good starter in the league just yet.

6 hours ago, kevnallen said:

Don’t forget, the Thurmanator was a second round pick

He was slated as 1st rd talent. People passed on him because of his previous knee injury.  No one expected him to be there in the 2nd round. Also we didn't have a 2nd round pick that year.

Just now, CaliBills said:

RB position is fine. Could use some more speed.

The issue is Center and Guard (less mongo).   

Morse is a good second line protect caller and a good pass protector. Lacks that power/leverage to be good at run blocking.  It seems from my view point.

Mongo is good, but I thinks lacks some mobility compared to pro bowl guards.

Williams - to me - is a good depth pick but not sure he is a good starter in the league just yet.

There are issues all over in the zone scheme.  I'm not sure if its chemistry (lot of people missing games this year) or what, but outside zone is getting absolutely blown up.  

But at the same time - it could be a bit of a recency bias.  Look at the stats of the 2 defenses buffalo just played - they both are near top of the league in run defense.  

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think we need to add another RB to our grouping - personally I like the idea of:

- Drop Yeldon

- Promote Williams 

- Moss/William becomes our Chubbs

- Motor becomes our Hunt/CE-H

The issue is less our RBs and more our blocking scheme and execution blows for anything other than 1-cut runs which plays a LOT better to the strengths of Moss and more practically Williams. We seemed stubborn to start the year and try to force Motor to be a guy up the middle when he doesn't have the size and/ore speed to hit the holes. Better scheming and an off season to implement would be the most ideal option for us to see better RB production and not stress our cap situation or have a questionable draft pick.

If he somehow was there for us in RD 2 I would be torn but I can't imagine he would be. 

Just now, Rk_Bills86 said:

I don't think we need to add another RB to our grouping - personally I like the idea of:

- Drop Yeldon

- Promote Williams 

- Moss/William becomes our Chubbs

- Motor becomes our Hunt/CE-H

The issue is less our RBs and more our blocking scheme and execution blows for anything other than 1-cut runs which plays a LOT better to the strengths of Moss and more practically Williams. We seemed stubborn to start the year and try to force Motor to be a guy up the middle when he doesn't have the size and/ore speed to hit the holes. Better scheming and an off season to implement would be the most ideal option for us to see better RB production and not stress our cap situation or have a questionable draft pick.

If he somehow was there for us in RD 2 I would be torn but I can't imagine he would be. 

I'm of the opinion that upgrades on the oline would turn some of those 2 yard plays into 8-10 yard plays.  Watching a lot of football, you see kamara and henry get blown up all the time at the LOS.  It's the highlights everyone sees, and usually those involve big holes.  

We certainly need an upgrade at RB. Would take Nagee in a heartbeat but doubt he’ll be there when we pick. DS and ZM are complimentary backs at this time and I don’t see their bar improving much. Depending on if we can resign Daryl Williams, with Cody Ford coming back from injury, I don’t see us going OL early. 

DE is probably the biggest need but not sure if a true stud will be there. We are finally in a position to go BPA or trade back.

Holistically we need RB, DE and depth at TE, CB and LB.  We also get Star back which should help our interior defense. Curious if we keep Stills and what he would add to the offense as well. 

What a great problem to have!

We've gone from 330 ypg & 19.6 ppg with 10 wins in 2019 to 396 ypg & 31.3 ppg and 15 wins in 2019.

Our ppg is up 59% from 2019 to 2020, we have won 8 in a row & we are on our way to the AFC Championship for the first time in two generations so I can certainly understand :doh: why people are up in arms over our 'horrid' run game.

The Offensive glass isn't close to half full; it's about ready to run all over the counter. 

Looking at the other glass, we have a D that went from 16.2 ppg to 23.4 ppg and is the #1 spender in the NFL for the DL and #2 spender on DBs.

That glass is leaking like a colander & is where I would put my 'early' draft capital.

Edited by hemma
  • Like (+1) 1

I could be talked into Najee/Etienne, but I really don't like it.

If we can upgrade OL/TE with our 1st & 2nd Round Picks, that may help the running game just as much, maybe more, than a top end RB.  

My issue is in roster construction and using a high pick on a guy that we don't seem philosophically willing to pay on a second contract doesn't seem to make much sense.  Najee would essentially be a 4-5 year rental, when a OL/TE/EDGE/CB could be a guy that plays with Josh most of his career.  

Out the other side of my mouth though.... having Najee for 4-5 years would be pretty nasty, and then we could let him go and do it again.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

We have two RBs who can get the job done, our problem running the ball has been 1) play calling/desire to actually establish a run game (because why would we when we are a pass first offense) and 2) the line arent great run blockers, better in pass pro. 

The call for new/more RBs needs to stop IMO