I’m just penciling in Najee Harris to Buffalo in April

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

I agree with everything you wrote except the bolded.  If we draft a player in the 1st round and they have a impact on the team winning a super bowl, it’s a good pick, even if they’re only on the team for 4-5 years.  Winning a Super bowl > everything.  Similar to what the Pats did with Chandler Jones.  Was he a bad use of a pick?

Chandler Jones was an excellent use of a first round pick.   Trading him was HIGHLY questionable..........but they didn't let him walk for nothing in return like the Bills did with Levitre and Byrd.    They didn't have to......he had top positional value because he was a pass rusher.  The Bills didn't have a choice........nobody was trading much(anything?) for a G or FS who were pending free agents.   

But then the Patriots are a different story altogether.........they were such an outlier in so many ways.   Brady and Belichick played in 13 AFC Championship games together..........and they left A LOT on the table personnel wise.   If they were as efficient with personnel/drafting as say......the Steelers?.......they probably win 10 SB's.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Chandler Jones was an excellent use of a first round pick.   Trading him was HIGHLY questionable..........but they didn't let him walk for nothing in return like the Bills did with Levitre and Byrd.    They didn't have to......he had top positional value because he was a pass rusher.  The Bills didn't have a choice........nobody was trading much(anything?) for a G or FS who were pending free agents.   

But then the Patriots are a different story altogether.........they were such an outlier in so many ways.   Brady and Belichick played in 13 AFC Championship games together..........and they left A LOT on the table personnel wise.   If they were as efficient with personnel/drafting as say......the Steelers?.......they probably win 10 SB's.

Agreed.  

But I still disagree with:  “if you don't feel it's justified to pay them the market rate then they weren't good uses of those picks”.

If that player played well enough to receive the market rate and your team won a super bowl with him, it’s a good pick.  

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

He’s probably the best fit for this O.  I would LOVE to snag him in rd 3 (almost no chance that he’s there rd 3) which happens to be our designated round for picking RBs.  

If we drafted him or any speed back, I would try and trade Motor.  If we drafted Harris or a bigger back, I’d try and trade Moss.  

Javonte is impressive as well.  

I do not think you could get anything for Moss and Singletary.  They are backups anywhere else. Other teams would be better off cycling some UFA's through their system to find the same or better.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Edge rusher or offensive tackle for me. And value might line up nicely there depending on how many QBs get pushed up the board.... If five or even 6 go in the first I feel good about the chances of one of those dropping to the Bills although I haven't got anywhere close to finalised DE or OT rankings yet. The other spot I might be tempted by is corner but I have been through the consensus top 10/12 corners and I don't really love this corner class. After the top 2 there is Jaycee Horn who is very scheme specific and I'm not sure is a fit here and then a bunch of guys who are 2nd and 3rd rounders. I'd be tempted by Newsome but I think I am higher than the consensus on him. 

Assuming if we resign Daryl Williams, the need for an OT doesn’t exist as we also have Ford who could play there if needed.

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

A trade down from 32 (hopefully) even just a few spots to pick up an early 4th and 7th would be nice. 

By doing this your passing up an immediate impactful starter. In reality, it’s going to be difficult for any late round picks to even make next years roster. Again, I would be stunned if either of them are even on the board when we pick.

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

Can we pencil in a corner, NT, or edge for the first round instead, please?

I think they’re more confident in Wallace than we are. Also, they want a different type of player at that position than most teams. Most of your typical 1st round picks are guys that are more typical man coverage guys where we tend to play much more zone. 

I believe they’ll roll with Star and if he continues the play from last week, Harrison Phillips can play the 1-tech as well.

I do think edge is a need. I think Hughes, Addison, Epenesa & D. Johnson will all be back but they need another guy to develop and it depends on how the board falls

11 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

Assuming if we resign Daryl Williams, the need for an OT doesn’t exist as we also have Ford who could play there if needed.

Sure if we re-sign Williams unlikely we go OL early because even if Feliciano walks I am not sure they go guard that early. 

16 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

That would make three “day one” picks used on running backs in three consecutive years - for a passing team...

Id rather admit that motor isn't the answer, take a guy thats going to permanently plug the hole. If they're confident in a guy, and it takes a 1st or 2nd rder, then so be it. At some point you stop buying car parts and upgrade the car. I think motors odd man out.

Theres no way that our oline is so good at pass blocking, yet awful at run blocking. Something is wrong, and it need fixing. Voluntarily being completely 1dimensional is just asking for problems.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I would be down with Harris.   Ive seen holes this season a better runningback would of taken for 40 yards instead of 12 or 13.   This is a offensive, playmaker time period.    Andy Reid has shown that speed kills in this era.   Go for DE in rounds 2 and 3 and look for low priced vets cut due to cap issues on other teams that want to play with a contender.   Im all for more weapons and a balanced attack a la Green Bay.

13 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

how far do they have to advance for you to admit they don’t need a running game that bad?

How many more drives a game do you think we could keep going if we had a back that could kill 3rd and 3 or 4? Drives that stall out where josh would have another 3+ chances to throw.

Instead on 3rd and short we have our future half billion $ qb, getting smashed and not converting! We don't need a 30carry back but we need someone dependable to keep drives alive. That ravens game woulda been 30-3 if we could do that

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

I do not think you could get anything for Moss and Singletary.  They are backups anywhere else. Other teams would be better off cycling some UFA's through their system to find the same or better.

I think we could get a 5th-7th for Moss.  His value lies in his contract.  He’s a solid back.

Maybe a 6th-7th for motor. Maybe not

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  

But I still disagree with:  “if you don't feel it's justified to pay them the market rate then they weren't good uses of those picks”.

If that player played well enough to receive the market rate and your team won a super bowl with him, it’s a good pick.  

And if you don’t win a Super Bowl it’s a bad pick. And 31 teams don’t win the Super Bowl pretty much every year lol

33 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

How many more drives a game do you think we could keep going if we had a back that could kill 3rd and 3 or 4? Drives that stall out where josh would have another 3+ chances to throw.

Instead on 3rd and short we have our future half billion $ qb, getting smashed and not converting! We don't need a 30carry back but we need someone dependable to keep drives alive. That ravens game woulda been 30-3 if we could do that

I kind of agree, but even Derrick Henry was getting stuffed by Baltimore the week prior. 

You can get a decent back in free agency or later in the draft. Mark Ingram was cut today and there are countless other examples. Using a first rounder is bad asset allocation. Especially when you already have 2 3rds invested in the position. 

1) the player immediately makes more than the average for the position on his rookie deal as opposed to a 1st rd DE, CB, WR who makes significantly less. 

2) you’re hoping he is good and then will have to pay a second contract, which has a terrible track record for running back. 

3) I’d rather have josh throw on 3rd and 3 or 4. But I’ll bet whatever team’s fans we are playing will be hoping for the opposite. I’d rather stay a pass heavy team. 

I’m all for upgrading at RB, but I changed my mind on first round for those reasons after initially wanting Etienne. 

Edited by Rock-A-Bye Beasley
  • Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

I would be down with Harris.   Ive seen holes this season a better runningback would of taken for 40 yards instead of 12 or 13.   This is a offensive, playmaker time period.    Andy Reid has shown that speed kills in this era.   Go for DE in rounds 2 and 3 and look for low priced vets cut due to cap issues on other teams that want to play with a contender.   Im all for more weapons and a balanced attack a la Green Bay.

40 yards instead of 12-13?  😳 

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Id rather admit that motor isn't the answer, take a guy thats going to permanently plug the hole. If they're confident in a guy, and it takes a 1st or 2nd rder, then so be it. At some point you stop buying car parts and upgrade the car. I think motors odd man out.

Theres no way that our oline is so good at pass blocking, yet awful at run blocking. Something is wrong, and it need fixing. Voluntarily being completely 1dimensional is just asking for problems.

Singletary averaged 5 yards a carry last year. It’s a passing O and an OL built on that. I’ll take the 30 pts a game. Just don’t buy it’s solely bad RB play. Certainly would like to see more balance. But we more likely will see 4 wides than 3 straight runs. Just the way this O works. 

28 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

40 yards instead of 12-13?  😳 

Singletary averaged 5 yards a carry last year. It’s a passing O and an OL built on that. I’ll take the 30 pts a game. Just don’t buy it’s solely bad RB play. Certainly would like to see more balance. But we more likely will see 4 wides than 3 straight runs. Just the way this O works. 

Yeah, runs that went for first downs but you see with your eyes the 4.6 and change speed.    A better, faster back would beat that linebacker or safety and take if for a huge gainer.   In fact we use to have a guy named Thurman who could do that.   Again Im all for turning the offense up to 11 if you know the reference.

32 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

Yeah, runs that went for first downs but you see with your eyes the 4.6 and change speed.    A better, faster back would beat that linebacker or safety and take if for a huge gainer.   In fact we use to have a guy named Thurman who could do that.   Again Im all for turning the offense up to 11 if you know the reference.

Oh yeah great reference Spinal Tap.  I’m just not convinced the holes are there. And Thurman was great but not necessarily a breakaway speed guy. If Harris is available let’s draft him otherwise just late round speed burner.