I’m just penciling in Najee Harris to Buffalo in April

5 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Imo, our first round pick should come down to pass rusher, tight end, or Travis Ettienne. 

Dane Jackson has shown a lot of flash when he gets in games and Levi Wallace has played pretty well at CB2. IMO, we don’t need to take a CB in the first. 

So...that brings me back to the three that I mentioned. Pass rusher might actually not be as big a need as we think. Epenesa has progressed throughout the year and Daryl Johnson has elite measurables for the position. I’m not saying we wouldn’t take a pass rusher at the bottom of the first, but we might be picking the fourth or fifth one at that point. 

Now let’s consider the tight end. Dawson Knox is so unreliable that I think most of us can appreciate that we need a complete player at that position. Kyle Pitts will likely be gone by the middle of the round, so that leaves Pat Freiermuth. This guy is a beast. He didn’t get the nickname Baby Gronk by accident. He blocks, runs good routes, and catches the ball cleanly. Yes please. 

Travis Ettienne. IMO, this is what this offense is missing. He is the dynamic change of pace back that teams can use in so many ways. Kinda like how Thurman was. Great in the run game and as a pass catcher. Fast, too. 

Another sleeper at the bottom of the round could be offensive line. I really think that outside of pass rusher, the first rounder should be on offense. You have to be able to score points in this league. The defense is good enough to get off the field. That’s what we need. And Star will be back so we will already be better off next year. 

Regarding jackson - he played well in a pinch as a rookie.  I'd still like to push both him and wallace on the outside.  

TE - I'd draft one, probably not in the first

RB - Id rather address the issues in the offensive line.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Pass rusher is the teams biggest need by far and highest position of need on the draft value list.

QB/pass rusher/CB/LT/WR should be the early round priority positions for any draft.........if you don't find value at any of those positions then trade.

I wouldn't be afraid to draft a WR if a great talent falls..........Beasley and Brown are 30 somethings next year and reaching end of deals.    

If a really tremendous TE prospect is there then great but those are so rare and hard to evaluate.........probably better off trading back and taking a couple swings in middle rounds and hope you find one.

I wouldn't take a center that early.......they are maybe even easier than guards to find and most OL take 3 years to develop now so they better be pretty special to be worth the wait.    

The late first and second round draft that netted Wood, Levitre and Byrd looked great on paper but if you draft a player early and then they pan out great and you don't feel it's justified to pay them the market rate then they weren't good uses of those picks.

I agree with everything you wrote except the bolded.  If we draft a player in the 1st round and they have a impact on the team winning a super bowl, it’s a good pick, even if they’re only on the team for 4-5 years.  Winning a Super bowl > everything.  Similar to what the Pats did with Chandler Jones.  Was he a bad use of a pick?

Kenny Gainwell out of Memphis is one of those opt-out players to keep an eye on in this draft for the Bills.

He is an all purpose speed back and could be a nice third wheel with Singletary and Moss.

Gainwell is expected to go anywhere from round 2 to round 4.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I dont see Beane and Mcdermott drafting a rb in the first rd.  I dont see them signing an expensive backs.  I expect Dline, Oline, Db, Lb, Wr in rd 1.  Now I like Harris, but I dont want to take the ball out of Allens hands.  Keep him protected, keep putting weapons around him.  Im hoping for Waddle not being 100% for his pro day and is there at 32.  Him and Diggs could be a pair for years.

I don’t doubt running back is a need they’ll look into.

I also don’t see them using their first pick on a player, especially with two 3rd round picks in the room.

I expect them to go after some free agent veterans.

If they look to add a speed dynamic, Matt Breida could be a candidate.

If not, I believe next year is finally the year we could actually see Christian Wade make some noise with more of an off-season and pre-season to show himself. 

If they look for someone to spell Moss depending on his injury, I think Ingram is a good fit stylistically. 

If they’re not happy with the run, I believe they’ll draft an offensive lineman first to fix that. They believe that more often than not, the line creates the runner, not the other way around. I also believe this is correct.

Also don’t see them taking a TE in the 1st. Positional value isn’t there, and I believe they are taking the long term route with Knox. Will possibly have Sweeney coming back next season, Kroft might return on a lower deal, Smith could still be around as a blocker, and Gilliam is an interesting option. 

I look at the teams near the top of the league in rushing - and they are either propped up by a mobile QB (baltimore, arizona, NE), or they run a variation of Kubiaks outside zone scheme (Titans, Browns, Vikings, Packers, 49ers in 2019).  We are propped up by a mobile QB, and we don't run an outside zone scheme- majority of snaps come out of shotgun.

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Kenny Gainwell out of Memphis is one of those opt-out players to keep an eye on in this draft for the Bills.

He is an all purpose speed back and could be a nice third wheel with Singletary and Moss.

Gainwell is expected to go anywhere from round 2 to round 4.

He’s probably the best fit for this O.  I would LOVE to snag him in rd 3 (almost no chance that he’s there rd 3) which happens to be our designated round for picking RBs.  

If we drafted him or any speed back, I would try and trade Motor.  If we drafted Harris or a bigger back, I’d try and trade Moss.  

Javonte is impressive as well.  

Edited by NewEra

8 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

What we need in a single running back are the following:

[1]  He has to have the speed to get to the outside. Right now we are using WR screens and jet sweeps to get around the corner. That limits us. We would have an entire additional layer to the play book with somebody like Taylor.

[2] He has to be able to pass block.  We can not go the route of a little guy, regardless of his speed, and pass catching ability.  Also, going with a wham type former DE (like the Ravens) reduces the options of plays as well.

[3] He has to have the speed to be dangerous for quick hitters between the tackles or to slip out of the backfield al la T.Thomas to get a short dump off pass and take it far.

This year, I don't see any single back for all this coming up in the draft.  I'm afraid we are stuck with looking for a scat back type and/or a fullback type in the later rounds.  More likely is that we get a low cost veteran who is very good in one of these catagories and okay in the rest.

See Breece Hall. Next year’s draft

1 hour ago, Process said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see them cut Brown and go WR in Rd 1. 

I’m thinking that’s why Stills was signed 

They have Moss and Singletary at RB both with 2-3 years left on dirt cheap contracts. They won't spend any significant resources on RB. They might take a late round flyer on a speed back for some depth but this team isn't spending a pick in the first three rounds to supplement a position they have two fairly good young players at. Odds are this team likely needs to spend their first three picks either getting younger at positions or replacing guys who leave in free agency. 

5 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

They have Moss and Singletary at RB both with 2-3 years left on dirt cheap contracts. They won't spend any significant resources on RB. They might take a late round flyer on a speed back for some depth but this team isn't spending a pick in the first three rounds to supplement a position they have two fairly good young players at. Odds are this team likely needs to spend their first three picks either getting younger at positions or replacing guys who leave in free agency. 

Hope you're right.  If Etienne or Harris are sitting there at 32 - they should trade down.

6 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

6 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

id be focused on OL, TE, OLB/DE, and DB over the next 2 yrs in the draft.

you can find a change of pace or different style of RB either in secondary UFA market or late picks or undrafted players