I’m just penciling in Najee Harris to Buffalo in April

I don't see him as the best value for us at #32 if available, given the position and Singletary and Moss on the roster, so I would need for him to really be a lot better than anybody else available, and a lot better than the excellent backs often found in the 3rd and 4th.

This is the Nick Chubb, Dalvin Cook portion of the draft, but it is also the Tre White, Lamar Jackson, TJ Watt, part, or on the flip side, the TJ, Yeldon Sonny Michel area.

Not saying I won't ever *consider* a kicker in the 2nd round of my fantasy draft, but it would have to be quite a kicker, and the same is true of real draft first round running backs. Good player, but I'm not sure it is the best use of that selection in terms of impact on winning over the next four years.

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

We have an elite QB. There’s no reason why we should be going after RBs high. We drafted a RB in the 3rd round in back to back years and they look like #2 guys at best.

Now that we have a franchise QB, I’d rather see top picks used on fat guys that protect him or fat guys that get after the opposing QB. 

This.

Someone on o-line or a tight end would likely do more to improve our offense (including running game) more than a high pick back. And the right pass rusher is likely more valuable than either of those to helping our team win more games over the next four years.

We don't often pick in the bottom of the first round, but we did okay the first time McD got to (White).

13 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Actually, Devin Singletary is the third leading receiver this season behind Diggs, Beasley.

Gabe Davis, John Brown, Isaiah McKenzie, Dawson Knox all behind Motor.  Though Gabe Davis has more targets. 

Another note, all three Buffalo Bills leading receivers have a 76% catch percentage, which is pretty freaking awesome. 

You want to check the numbers again. Singletary finished the regular season 7th in receiving yards. He has 35 receiving yards in the playoffs this year.

19 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Actually, Devin Singletary is the third leading receiver this season behind Diggs, Beasley.

Gabe Davis, John Brown, Isaiah McKenzie, Dawson Knox all behind Motor.  Though Gabe Davis has more targets. 

Another note, all three Buffalo Bills leading receivers have a 76% catch percentage, which is pretty freaking awesome. 

even more fuel for my fire baby. 

Although its not up there in terms of impressive amounts of catches by a RB comparatively, thats just because we have so many weapons baby.

Just say no to drafting another RB

17 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

TE, OLB/EDGE, CB2, C are needs where there is usually good value in the 28-32 range.

For the win and what we should be targetting IMO as well. 

Some of the posts though in this thread do get you thinking though. At this phase my mind is still way to stuck on Next Sunday. Whatever Beane decides I'm good with.

12 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

TE, OLB/EDGE, CB2, C are needs where there is usually good value in the 28-32 range.

Pass rusher is the teams biggest need by far and highest position of need on the draft value list.

QB/pass rusher/CB/LT/WR should be the early round priority positions for any draft.........if you don't find value at any of those positions then trade.

I wouldn't be afraid to draft a WR if a great talent falls..........Beasley and Brown are 30 somethings next year and reaching end of deals.    

If a really tremendous TE prospect is there then great but those are so rare and hard to evaluate.........probably better off trading back and taking a couple swings in middle rounds and hope you find one.

I wouldn't take a center that early.......they are maybe even easier than guards to find and most OL take 3 years to develop now so they better be pretty special to be worth the wait.    

The late first and second round draft that netted Wood, Levitre and Byrd looked great on paper but if you draft a player early and then they pan out great and you don't feel it's justified to pay them the market rate then they weren't good uses of those picks.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Pass rusher is the teams biggest need by far and highest position of need on the draft value list.

QB/pass rusher/CB/LT/WR should be the early round priority positions for any draft.........if you don't find value at any of those positions then trade.

I wouldn't be afraid to draft a WR if a great talent falls..........Beasley and Brown are 30 somethings next year and reaching end of deals.    

If a really tremendous TE prospect is there then great but those are so rare and hard to evaluate.........probably better off trading back and taking a couple swings in middle rounds and hope you find one.

I wouldn't take a center that early.......they are maybe even easier than guards to find and most OL take 3 years to develop now so they better be pretty special to be worth the wait.    

The late first and second round draft that netted Wood, Levitre and Byrd looked great on paper but if you draft a player early and then they pan out great and you don't feel it's justified to pay them the market rate then they weren't good uses of those picks.

I could see Brown being a cap casualty this offseason - he just can't stay healthy enough to justify his price (which isn't high, but still).  The Bills are in prime real estate for a trade down in this draft, and if they can pick up another 2nd or 3rd or 4th (and maybe another 2021 3rd if Houston hires Frazier), they will be in great shape to snap up some cost-controlled replacements for the inevitable veteran departures, not to mention depth.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Coming around to picking a RB even higher than 3rd round.  If he was there at 29 - 32 I would be tempted. 

Buffalo cannot draft at 29. The highest they could get is 30. The loser of the NCFCG would draft first at 29 since they would have a worse record (Tampa Bay) or worse SOS (Green Bay).

Edited by chongli
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

I think RB is definitely a need, but I wouldn't be onboard with a RB in the first. I think Moss is going to find his footing next year and progress nicely, Motor definitely took a step back with his YPC this year, but if he could get back to form I think we would be OK going into next year with our guys and a mid round draft pick for our RBs. But if he falls to us at the end of the draft I would jump on him because he would for sure be BPA at that draft spot.

The problem with Devin is the lack of speed and propensity to be tackled easily. A complete 180 from his rookie year. I like Moss but hoping he improves next season. Williams will probably be kept and evaluated during preseason. I love Harris and many mocks have him going early 2nd round. I don't know if there will be a compelling pass rusher late 1st? But we have to establish a better run game. We can't and shouldn't rely on Josh to be 95% of the offense. 

Focus on the offensive and defensive lines early. RB can be had later in the draft. it is a position that has been devalued especially if you have a franchise QB. If there is an impact CB late in the first that is another position to consider as well. However, I think the primary focus in the offseason should be upgrading the defense. 

No.  Part of the process is a long term plan.  Patience for your developing draft picks is crucial.  You don't recruit over your existing picks.  Taking a 1st for an RB devalues one of the last 2 years round 3 picks.  Don't do it.  Money is going to get tighter and we can't keep all high priced free agents.  Need to be using first contract draft picks in several places.

It seems quite clear to me that a long term strategy for continued success requires less funds expended at the DL.  They've started (Oliver/Epenesa) and it needs to continue.  OL would be another possibility for grooming for cost control.  TE could be a possibility to groom and have insurance for D Knox- and that would be a couple of years separation.  Some have said CB, I don't see it - You have Wallace and D Jackson is coming on, along with Gaines should be back.  For me I see the BPA out of DL, OL, and TE groups.

This organization is now being run to be good for a while.  You don't do that by going for the shiny toy.

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Don't forget DL/DT. The Bills still need that big DT that's gonna command a double team. A Ted Washington type. Gonna need someone to replace Star eventually. Maybe not in Rd 1, but definitely a must. Marvin Wilson, Jordan Davis and even Lorenzo Neal Jr. 

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

You want to check the numbers again. Singletary finished the regular season 7th in receiving yards. He has 35 receiving yards in the playoffs this year.

I was going by receptions, Diggs 127, Beasley 82, Singletary 38 receptions. 

I was quoting a poster who stated:

By Paattmaann,

"yea thats cool, we don't throw to RBs..both Devin and Zach are more than capable of being good pass catchers out of the backfield, and have put that on tape."

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

@GunnerBill and I had this discussion a couple days ago in another thread.     I feel like Beane will be inclined to go "Cody Ford" again and make the mistake of reaching for a need at a position that is easy to fill........in this case running back.

It would be a mistake.

The Bills aren't playing with house money........their roster isn't that exceptional without having a top 3 QB like Allen.........they are going to have plenty of need for players at big $ positions and not a lot of cap room to spend on them going forward.

You take chances on those $15M-$20M positions early in the draft and trust your scouts to find players at the less valued positions later in the draft, in UDFA or in UFA where they tend to be values.

Edge rusher or offensive tackle for me. And value might line up nicely there depending on how many QBs get pushed up the board.... If five or even 6 go in the first I feel good about the chances of one of those dropping to the Bills although I haven't got anywhere close to finalised DE or OT rankings yet. The other spot I might be tempted by is corner but I have been through the consensus top 10/12 corners and I don't really love this corner class. After the top 2 there is Jaycee Horn who is very scheme specific and I'm not sure is a fit here and then a bunch of guys who are 2nd and 3rd rounders. I'd be tempted by Newsome but I think I am higher than the consensus on him. 

• Like (+1) 2

Imo, our first round pick should come down to pass rusher, tight end, or Travis Ettienne. 

Dane Jackson has shown a lot of flash when he gets in games and Levi Wallace has played pretty well at CB2. IMO, we don’t need to take a CB in the first. 

So...that brings me back to the three that I mentioned. Pass rusher might actually not be as big a need as we think. Epenesa has progressed throughout the year and Daryl Johnson has elite measurables for the position. I’m not saying we wouldn’t take a pass rusher at the bottom of the first, but we might be picking the fourth or fifth one at that point. 

Now let’s consider the tight end. Dawson Knox is so unreliable that I think most of us can appreciate that we need a complete player at that position. Kyle Pitts will likely be gone by the middle of the round, so that leaves Pat Freiermuth. This guy is a beast. He didn’t get the nickname Baby Gronk by accident. He blocks, runs good routes, and catches the ball cleanly. Yes please. 

Travis Ettienne. IMO, this is what this offense is missing. He is the dynamic change of pace back that teams can use in so many ways. Kinda like how Thurman was. Great in the run game and as a pass catcher. Fast, too. 

Another sleeper at the bottom of the round could be offensive line. I really think that outside of pass rusher, the first rounder should be on offense. You have to be able to score points in this league. The defense is good enough to get off the field. That’s what we need. And Star will be back so we will already be better off next year. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I hate early TE's.  I feel like the best ones are all late round guys, and the early ones tend to not have a big impact for a year or 2.  

10 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I'd rather we work on our run blocking and pick up another good TE.

this is the no-brainer to me.  I'm not saying Moss & Singletary always hit the right hole but most of those short yardage issues are because the Defense is 2 yards in the backfield at the handoff. gotta find a way to dominate those 3rd/4th and 1 plays in the trenches before putting too much blame on the RBs shoulders. 

Antonio Williams could very well come into play next season as well.  Not saying I wouldn't love to have Harris or Sermon on the Bills next year.  I just don't think that is necessarily the answer to solving the run game issues.  

• Agree 1