I’m just penciling in Najee Harris to Buffalo in April

The Bills are truly in a position to go after BPA aside from QB with their high draft picks.  With that said I would love to see the Bills go after DE and DT as the biggest pressing needs.  TE would be the biggest need on offense.   More depth and competition on the OL, LB and CB's.    RB could use a possible upgrade but if the Bills did this they would have to trade one of their RB's.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

We are a passing 1st team and the combo of Moss/Motor rushed for 1168yds and caught another 364yds. The combo gave us 1532yds total at the position on a passing team. I don't get the obsession with a high rd RB draft pick for our team when the combo of the 2 is high level RB1 numbers. Again, on a passing first team.

We can do better...

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Magox said:

The Bills are truly in a position to go after BPA aside from QB with their high draft picks.  With that said I would love to see the Bills go after DE and DL as the biggest pressing needs.  TE would be the biggest need on offense.   More depth and competition on the OL, LB and CB's.    RB could use a possible upgrade but if the Bills did this they would have to trade one of their RB's.

I'd say buffalo hit on 1 2nd round pick in dawkins, and ford is looking like a miss (at least as a starter).  I think there are upgrades to be had along the offensive line - and they should consider using high draft capital to address it.  

• Like (+1) 2

What we need in a single running back are the following:

[1]  He has to have the speed to get to the outside. Right now we are using WR screens and jet sweeps to get around the corner. That limits us. We would have an entire additional layer to the play book with somebody like Taylor.

[2] He has to be able to pass block.  We can not go the route of a little guy, regardless of his speed, and pass catching ability.  Also, going with a wham type former DE (like the Ravens) reduces the options of plays as well.

[3] He has to have the speed to be dangerous for quick hitters between the tackles or to slip out of the backfield al la T.Thomas to get a short dump off pass and take it far.

This year, I don't see any single back for all this coming up in the draft.  I'm afraid we are stuck with looking for a scat back type and/or a fullback type in the later rounds.  More likely is that we get a low cost veteran who is very good in one of these catagories and okay in the rest.

• Agree 1

Just now, 4merper4mer said:

You got spoiled with Gronk for years.  Knox is an ok TE that might still improve.  I’m not his biggest fan but he is NFL average or thereabouts.

Rough year for him.  Injuries and covid and all that.  I'm not saying an upgrade can't be had - I'm just saying don't spend a 1st on a TE.  It rarely works.  

Just now, maryland-bills-fan said:

What we need in a single running back are the following:

[1]  He has to have the speed to get to the outside. Right now we are using WR screens and jet sweeps to get around the corner. That limits us. We would have an entire additional layer to the play book with somebody like Taylor.

[2] He has to be able to pass block.  We can not go the route of a little guy, regardless of his speed, and pass catching ability.  Also, going with a wham type former DE (like the Ravens) reduces the options of plays as well.

[3] He has to have the speed to be dangerous for quick hitters between the tackles or to slip out of the backfield al la T.Thomas to get a short dump off pass and take it far.

This year, I don't see any single back for all this coming up in the draft.  I'm afraid we are stuck with looking for a scat back type and/or a fullback type in the later rounds.  More likely is that we get a low cost veteran who is very good in one of these catagories and okay in the rest.

Speeds nice and all - but right now we can't even run the ball up the middle into a weak box.  That to me seems like our offensive line isn't doing their job.

I'm split on needing another RB.  I'm tempted to say that we could use a pass catching/pass protection RB that can also occasionally tote the ball (i.e. a player like Nyheim Hines, James White, Darren Sproles, etc.).. but I'm not 100% sure that we would even use them.  We have hardly used Yeldon despite him being a serviceable player in this regard. 

I think for pounding the rock, we are likely good with Moss next year.  He's cheap and he's effective enough.  It's not that I don't like Harris.. I just don't think he will be available when the Bills pick.  If for some reason he is available, then by all means (assuming there isn't a better player available).  Best pick available, always take the talent!

Maybe the real answer to what we need is an athletic fullback that can play in pass pro/pass catching and simultaneously help with the running game.  Imagine someone that can catch out of the backfield, throw some blocks in both running game and pass protection.  The running game was obviously better last year with DiMarco present.  I know there were a lot of Patrick DiMarco haters here because he didn't contribute visibly on the stat sheet (I def think he helped the running game when he was in).  Maybe someone like Larry Centers?  

Edited by berg1029
  • Like (+1) 1

There are sooooo many decent free agent running backs this year, after the draft some of their price tags drop considerably. I see no reason we’d even think about using a first round pick on one. We are gonna need some defensive players on rookie deals for sure. 

Breida, McKinnon, Booker (looked great in his limited work in Vegas) , Jeff Wilson, Jamal williams, marlon Mack, Wayne Gallman.. 

Some guys may get signed, but there’s going to be some cut too I’m sure before free agency. Running back is quite easy to fill a spot for and not have to over pay. And there’s some really really nice options out there for the limited touches we offer. 

• Like (+1) 2

Hey, Aaron Jones for GB was a 5th round pick...201 attempts, 1104 yards, 9 TDs, 5.5 rush yards per attempt. 

GB RB Jamaal Williams was a 4th rounder...AJ Dillon was a 2nd rounder.

BTW, Aaron Jones is third on the Packers in receiving after #1 WR Davante Adams and #2 TE Robert Tonyan.

All I'm advocating... is to actually run more often and find that top RB anywhere you can... like Green Bay happened to do. 

P.S. The Packers do have a pair of pro bowlers at tackle and OG. 

Instead of wasting another high pick on running back, we could get a pretty decent, proven one in free agency.

I'm guessing it would cost maybe $5M and we would know what we're getting.

Options:

Chris Carson

Kenyan Drake

Todd Gurley

Carlos Hyde

Marlon Mack

Phillip Lindsay

Save the first round pick for a CB, DE, or someone else who isn't a dime a dozen.

2 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Instead of wasting another high pick on running back, we could get a pretty decent, proven one in free agency.

I'm guessing it would cost maybe $5M and we would know what we're getting.

Options:

Chris Carson

Kenyan Drake

Todd Gurley

Carlos Hyde

Marlon Mack

Phillip Lindsay

Save the first round pick for a CB, DE, or someone else who isn't a dime a dozen.

I’ve always liked Drake...he runs angry

Edited by JaCrispy

I too believe the Bills need to add an Offensive weapon in the role of a RB, as much as I like Moss and Singletary. However, I also think Williams showed against Miami - and a very talented and motivated Defense - can be a powerful RB, that what is needed is more of the Thurman type of RB. To me, as much as I like Harris as the pure RB in the Draft, Etienne is more of the Thurman type RB, IMHO. Etienne is a very fast, shifty, pass catching RB who can be used in a variety of ways bringing multiple means to effect the Offense more so, IMO, than many others in the Draft.

If this were last year, I'd be all over Harris hoping he could be the strong, power RB - but with Moss / Williams and then Etienne as the all-purpose threat, that just makes more sense in my mind. Big question, will Etienne be there when the Bills Draft? I don't think so....but if you're looking for the Thurman 2.0, in the contemporary NFL, I think Etienne is more in that mold.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Mynamemike said:

Can you imagine this offense with an Alvin Kamara or Christian Mccaffrey style of running back.  It would be unstoppable.  We already use Singletary in that way, he just has no explosion  or top end speed to make defenses fear him.  

Yep.  No one has to spy on the RB to cover a possible running lane,.  They can catch him and not give up a chunk play.  Fewer defensive eyes looking into the backfield means better pass defense.

1 minute ago, BigBuff423 said:

I too believe the Bills need to add an Offensive weapon in the role of a RB, as much as I like Moss and Singletary. However, I also think Williams showed against Miami - and a very talented and motivated Defense - can be a powerful RB, that what is needed is more of the Thurman type of RB. To me, as much as I like Harris as the pure RB in the Draft, Etienne is more of the Thurman type RB, IMHO. Etienne is a very fast, shifty, pass catching RB who can be used in a variety of ways bringing multiple means to effect the Offense more so, IMO, than many others in the Draft.

If this were last year, I'd be all over Harris hoping he could be the strong, power RB - but with Moss / Williams and then Etienne as the all-purpose threat, that just makes more sense in my mind. Big question, will Etienne be there when the Bills Draft? I don't think so....but if you're looking for the Thurman 2.0, in the contemporary NFL, I think Etienne is more in that mold.

Etienne might be available with our first round pick or (after some draft position swapping to get two picks in the top 50) even with a 2nd round pick.  He is 210 pounds, which isn't tiny.  He could be a better pass catcher and pass blocker.  I don't know if that is because they didn't waste using him that way and that he could be taught up, or if it just isn't him.

• Agree 1