I’m just penciling in Najee Harris to Buffalo in April

5 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

He should I advocated for Jonathan Taylor last year that seemed to workout pretty well for the Colts 

Right I’m so tired of hearing not use a first on a running back if his worth it great. This team needs a running game bad I’m really surprised it’s not hurt us yet. 

Really depends to some degree on who they look to lose in FA .    Its all about pass and defend the pass in this league, so pass rushers and O LIne could be key in the 1st for the Bills, depending on if  Daryl Williams or Matt Milano  are cap casualties, for example, due to Josh's monster contract trashing the Bills salary cap.   

Running backs are pretty much a dime a dozen in todays NFL.  Especially for this team.   

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

He should I advocated for Jonathan Taylor last year that seemed to workout pretty well for the Colts 

If it worked out so well, how come the Colts are home? The Colts aren't the Bills. IMO we'll see pass rusher/OL as our early selections, and more so if we can't keep Milano/Feliciano/D. Williams.

We have much bigger needs.

This could be a trade down year as there could be a team that wants to get a QB late in the first similar to what the Ravens did to get Lamar Jackson on 2018. I might do it if I'm the Bills to recoup some of the lost picks in the Diggs trade. As yes we don't have many immediate needs but still feel we need to work on depth at LB and depending on free agency may need some help along the offensive line.  We also will likely need some help on the D-line. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

That would make three “day one” picks used on running backs in three consecutive years - for a passing team...

I think that you are ignoring some well known facts about the nfl draft.    I think that there are basically 4 tiers in the draft.

[1] The first 15 or so players.   Very clearly superior players that are expected to start right away and may be all pro within 2-3 years

[2] The  16-50 players, who are likey to be starters by the end of their first year.

[3]  The 51 to 230+ rest of the draft, who might make a roster and have a decreasing chance of being a starter or rotational player

[4] UFA who may be practice squad player or bottom of the roster backups

Yes there are exceptions all the time. The above types are just limited by the physical and mental profile of the American population.

We have drafted running backs with the 74th pick (Singletary) and 86 (Moss).   They are in group 3 and are nice backup players.  Sometimes you may get lucky, most of the time you get what you expect.  Remember that TThomas was drafted #40 [2] but without his knee injury he would have been taken earlier than the 7th RB selected. 

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

I have no problem with them taking a RB early. A roster is improved through many sources: resigning players, trades, free agency, the draft. If you’re taking care of things in the other three  categories then you use the draft for the fourth. The Bills are FINALLY in the position I’ve read about for years on here....take the Best Player Available!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, kevnallen said:

Don’t forget, the Thurmanator was a second round pick

There was a very serious reason for that as he blew out his knee his JR year in college and his backup Barry Sanders started that season for him. When he returned he put Barry back on the bench. With so much mileage on him in college teams were afraid he was all used up.

The Buffalo Bills medical staff cleared him and drafted him #40th. Thomas carried 897 times for OSU. 

ESPN had projected Thomas to be an early first round pick and had a TV crew in his home on draft day. Seven other RBs were drafted ahead of Thurman though.