The Saints will be almost $100M over the salary cap next year!

Doc

• Doc changed the title to The Saints will be almost $100M over the salary cap next year!
3 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Brees retiring frees a decent amount right? 
I always wondered what if a team can’t get under the cap. 

they have 7 days to restructure or release players to get under the cap once the cap hit is applied for that season.

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

The NFL's cap is a hard cap that the teams have to stay under at all times, and the salary floor is also a hard floor. Penalties for violating or circumventing the cap regulations include fines of up to $5 million for each violation, cancellation of contracts and/or loss of draft picks.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Rc2catch said:

Oh I thought when they retired the dead cap hit went away cause they’re basically forfeiting the rest of the money. I’m not a cap professional lol

If he pays it back, it can.  But teams don't usually ask for it if they're a legend like him.  Hell the Colts even let Luck keep his signing bonus.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

If he pays it back, it can.  But teams don't usually ask for it if they're a legend like him.  Hell the Colts even let Luck keep his signing bonus.

Yeah I remember the Luck one. 
Crazy stuff. Should be fun to watch and see how they maneuver through the offseason. 

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

My son alerted me to this earlier today.  Look at this and tell me where are they ever going to clear that amount of money and still be able to field a team?

its amazing how highly leveraged the Saints have been for years. I remember when they signed Jairus Byrd way back when, and they were way over the cap even then and folks were scratching their heads. They always seem to find a way to restructure everyone. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

its amazing how highly leveraged the Saints have been for years. I remember when they signed Jairus Byrd way back when, and they were way over the cap even then and folks were scratching their heads. They always seem to find a way to restructure everyone. 

We'll see this time.  They were never close to this much over the cap before.

26 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think part of the way they’ve made their cap work over the years is they basically have a dead year after Brees retires where they eat $10m still. But that assumed he retired after his contract was up. I don’t know what happens when he retires early. 

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Why wouldn't they be able to? You have to release and restructure contracts. You might have a far worse team when it's all done, but you have to get under the cap.

I’d imagine Brees retiring and saving $35million helps a bit. But from there, I cannot understand paying Taysom Hill over $16 million next year to be a gadget guy. Janoris Jenkins would save $7 million, and Emmanuel Sanders another 6.5. That leaves another $50 million to clear. 

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Why wouldn't they be able to? You have to release and restructure contracts. You might have a far worse team when it's all done, but you have to get under the cap.

That’s why I would wonder, cause teams generally sneak under. 
Keep kicking the can down the road but at some point you have to run out of moves to make right? They’re basically at the point they need the reset year. Fire sale all the vets and cut all the higher salary and eat the dead cap year and regroup with a fresh slate. 

35 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Don’t we watch this movie play out every year? 

“how will the Saints manage their terrible cap situation this year?”

Hear this every year in major sports, yet, a team rarely seems to get in such a bind and suffers the consequences.